Login

russian armor

Jackson a discussion and compariosn

24 Aug 2014, 19:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2014, 18:29 PMand

I don't want the Jackson replaced. I just want it in a state where it is as usable as the heavy tanks other factions have. At the moment it just plain isn't. Maybe it is on paper, but in reality it is way, way too hard to use effectively compared to the heavy tanks other factions have.

Yes, I realize what's your point and that's why I directly oppose the idea.
My example stands true as well.

US would build Pershing - a damage sponge followed by very cheap Jacksons (1226 fuel, 240 dmg).
No, thank you.
If you can't see how broken this combination would be than I have no idea how to explain it to you.
Also Jackson is not a heavy tank and therefore you shouldn't use it as one. It's a tank destroyer.

@ JHeartless

Sorry but I'd take Jackson over PaK all the time. High mobility combined with devastating punch. PaK may have high rate of fire but it's also limited by its mobility, cone of fire and if you overextend then it's good bye PaK.
Jackson being economical risk? At 126 fuel they are no brainier unit to get. Thanks God Relic got some common sense and designed them as glass cannons otherwise it would be a broken unit.
and
24 Aug 2014, 19:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2014, 19:00 PMKatitof

I think I've pinpointed your problem.

You think it should be on pair with heavy tanks.
Its not and never will be, because its not a heavy tank, its 'heavy tank' destroyer.

Spot for it and use its range and it will scare away Tigers and KTs away.

No, I don't want it to have the exact same role as heavy tanks have. As I said, I don't want it replaced with a heavy tank, it's good the factions are different. I just think they are way too much risk with little reward. They're just way too unforgivable.
24 Aug 2014, 19:16 PM

@ and

See how top players are using Jacksons. Watch some replays and try to utilize the same tactics. This should help you if you're struggling to use this unit correctly.
24 Aug 2014, 19:16 PM

I simply not understand that, in this community, lots of people wants buff Jackson, and nerf Puma... This 2 unit have same advantage/weakness vs his targets... If the Puma can outrange all his potencial med tanks targets, with 50 range, and 80 penetration value on long range , why complain people for Jacksons, with 60 ranges, and far better penetration, with DOUBLE damage then puma. In US late game, the Jacksons with 60 range, and good damage, penetration, behind/near the M1 57mm AT gun line, can deal good damage with relative safely vs enemy tanks, and make for the injured, retreated vehicles the final blow.
24 Aug 2014, 19:25 PM

US would build Pershing - a damage sponge followed by very cheap Jacksons (1226 fuel, 240 dmg).
No, thank you.
If you can't see how broken this combination would be than I have no idea how to explain it to you.

Jadgtiger + volks still would wipe out Perhing+Jackson.
Still combination is no different from Tiger+PzIV spam, Elephant+Panther/PzIV spam, IS2+SU85, ISU-SU85 or Tiger II+Jagdpanzer. All of them are really potent.
______
The biggest problem with M26 is that it can not be used to push. I had to many games with 2 Jacksons vs 1 KT and the problem was I could not chase 1/4 hp KT to kill ii which resulting that OKW guy had enough time to bring another potent vehicle and I was gone.
and
24 Aug 2014, 19:25 PM

@ and

See how top players are using Jacksons. Watch some replays and try to utilize the same tactics. This should help you if you're struggling to use this unit correctly.
¨

I understand how they are meant to be used. It doesn't change the fact that I think they are way to unforgiving to use compared to the options other factions have.
24 Aug 2014, 22:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I simply not understand that, in this community, lots of people wants buff Jackson, and nerf Puma... This 2 unit have same advantage/weakness vs his targets... If the Puma can outrange all his potencial med tanks targets, with 50 range, and 80 penetration value on long range , why complain people for Jacksons, with 60 ranges, and far better penetration, with DOUBLE damage then puma. In US late game, the Jacksons with 60 range, and good damage, penetration, behind/near the M1 57mm AT gun line, can deal good damage with relative safely vs enemy tanks, and make for the injured, retreated vehicles the final blow.

Puma
Arrives earlier
Has some AI capabilities
It´s WAY MORE MOBILE
Smoke.

Problem with USF late game is that requires more micro than other factions who can rely on heavies or tanks with bigger HP pools. But i guess this is working as intended.

24 Aug 2014, 23:06 PM

Puma
Arrives earlier
Has some AI capabilities
It´s WAY MORE MOBILE
Smoke.

Problem with USF late game is that requires more micro than other factions who can rely on heavies or tanks with bigger HP pools. But i guess this is working as intended.

Jackson have more range, double damage, and when his arrives, you can hide your Jackson safely behind your AT gun wall. OKW has same situation in MID game, requirers more micro than other faction...
24 Aug 2014, 23:56 PM

Jackson's problem is it's lack of mobility in relation to its ability to die near instantly. Puma is faster then the wolverine AND smoke.

Oz if you read the thread you would see it's not highly mobile. It is barely better then medium tanks not including blitz. 125 fuel is a big loss when you must maintain all your armor without losing any in case of a Tiger Ace for example.

I personally don't care if they lower the damage. It's one thing to be made of glass for the mid game it's another late game and being highly specialized.

I would be overjoyed if they would swap out the jack with the m10 bit then again I don't play team games.
25 Aug 2014, 00:24 AM

You don't expect Jackson's speed to be on pair with ligh vehicles, do you?

It doesn't lack mobility at all, quite the opposite.
25 Aug 2014, 00:30 AM

Panther is faster than a Jackson...
25 Aug 2014, 00:35 AM

See the m10 stats I posted. It is not faster then a light vehicle yet faster then the Jackson. Use that as the basis. Without smoke or any kind if defense but speed and range I expect them both to be excellent but they aren't. It doesn't have the range of an elephant or anything.

I think you must not use the Jack very often. Again I am all for a cost increase. The glass canon aspect of the Jackson just doesn't pay enough dividends.
25 Aug 2014, 01:36 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Jackson have more range, double damage, and when his arrives, you can hide your Jackson safely behind your AT gun wall. OKW has same situation in MID game, requirers more micro than other faction...

I guess you didn´t understand my answer to your question. Puma is being question for OVERPERFORMING (not overpowered) due to a sum of different factors (see the other thread).
Jackson "problems" being discuss here are more over a faction design for US for the late game (which relies heavily on map design). Jackson lacks

"I simply not understand that, in this community, lots of people wants buff Jackson, and nerf Puma..."

IMO i´m more of a little tweak to the PUMA, and IDK what to do about late game USF.
25 Aug 2014, 02:25 AM

The jackson shines sometimes, but it is PAINFUL to use.

No matter how much micro I try to put into it, it WANTS to commit suicide.

It is simply not agile enough to be so fragile and one dimensional. It is very effective - it has to be or else GG - however it is a chore and simply not fun to use. It's about as much fun as blizzards are. It needs an agility boost.
25 Aug 2014, 04:28 AM

"IMO i´m more of a little tweak to the PUMA, and IDK what to do about late game USF."

In my opinion, the first thing, what need to do most of US player in late game, learn respect his AT gun, and use... THE US late AT game design was in COH1 the same, without doctrinal Pershing, or AT gun wall, you will be stomped, with AT gun wall, you can push and push back all axis armor, with the opportunity to chase down with your fast tank destroyers.
25 Aug 2014, 08:51 AM

My opinion is that the Jackson itself is fine itself, but the tools the US have to support it just aren't good enough.

1. US have very limited access to mines, and the light AT mines I think are a bit wonky at the moment, unreliable and hard to use (they remind me of pre-buff s-mines).

2. Bazookas aren't much of a threat to tanks and wont discourage multiple tanks or heavies from charging right through them at the jacksons.

3. Shermans are poor meat sheilds since they are almost as flimsy as the Jackson itself and won't last long enough to really protect the Jacksons or provide line of sight for as long as is often needed, plus without flanking they wont penetrate much of any tank themselves.

Overall I think the Jackson is fine in itself, but the US infantry AT and defensive AT aren't quite up to par it is really hard to keep them protected long enough to do damage to mass tanks or heavies, or really discourage the germans from charging straight at the jacksons themselves.

25 Aug 2014, 09:32 AM

My opinion is that the Jackson itself is fine itself, but the tools the US have to support it just aren't good enough.

1. US have very limited access to mines, and the light AT mines I think are a bit wonky at the moment, unreliable and hard to use (they remind me of pre-buff s-mines).

2. Bazookas aren't much of a threat to tanks and wont discourage multiple tanks or heavies from charging right through them at the jacksons.

3. Shermans are poor meat sheilds since they are almost as flimsy as the Jackson itself and won't last long enough to really protect the Jacksons or provide line of sight for as long as is often needed, plus without flanking they wont penetrate much of any tank themselves.

Overall I think the Jackson is fine in itself, but the US infantry AT and defensive AT aren't quite up to par it is really hard to keep them protected long enough to do damage to mass tanks or heavies, or really discourage the germans from charging straight at the jacksons themselves.

1.You have tellers WITHOUT doctrine, from m20, what is a fine unit for scouting, can harass/kill the kübel - not AT inf. even unsupported OBERS, can cap points, and LAY down TELLER mines, you need use.

2. BAzoo role dont fight for heavys, but excelent vs Pumas, kübels.

3. Shermans for his price, are excelent meat shields, yes, dont have really high dps on a Panther frontal armor, but "meatshield" is not a unit, who can beat a panther... Shermans excellent with 640 hp, mobility, and long ranged triple smoke barrage for cover, protect Jacksons, and soak damage, make LOS. After vet1 Sherman gain more and more Line of sight too with Radio net...
25 Aug 2014, 09:54 AM

1.You have tellers WITHOUT doctrine, from m20, what is a fine unit for scouting, can harass/kill the kübel - not AT inf. even unsupported OBERS, can cap points, and LAY down TELLER mines, you need use.
I said limited. M20s aren't exactly something you would buy to simply lay mines, especially later in the game when you need fuel. Unlike every other faction which has mines on their main builders which are cheap and are always used in every game.

2. BAzoo role dont fight for heavys, but excelent vs Pumas, kübels.
The truth is the US really needs more AT power from somewhere and the bazookas are hardly a deterrent to tanks at all. I think if the bazookas got a buff so they were usefull against tanks then they wouldn't have such a hard time in the late game. They are still terrible when compared to schreks.

3. Shermans for his price, are excelent meat shields, yes, dont have really high dps on a Panther frontal armor, but "meatshield" is not a unit, who can beat a panther... Shermans excellent with 640 hp, mobility, and long ranged triple smoke barrage for cover, protect Jacksons, and soak damage, make LOS. After vet1 Sherman gain more and more Line of sight too with Radio net...
I don't know what you think I was saying. I'm not saying that the sherman should get a buff or that it should beat a panther. I'm just pointing out the fact that as far as meatshields go it is a poor one. It's still better then nothing.
25 Aug 2014, 09:56 AM

Jacksons are kinda glass cannons when unsupported. But when you support the Jackson with say an M10 or some other tank/AT/At-inf it shines and becomes an effective killing machine. Especially with inf blobs defending it.
25 Aug 2014, 09:57 AM

Also forgot one:
4. Riflemen AT grenades take a really long time to actually fire giving german tanks plenty of time to run through them and into range of a Jackson.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★