Login

russian armor

Button

12 Aug 2014, 09:39 AM

Does the game need this ability?

Firstly, if you sit back and think about it, why would firing bullets at vision slits disable the movement of a tank? I can understand why it would reduce the accuracy of the crew who cannot safely look out of the tank. But why would it affect the movement? Bullets do not create tractor beams.

But since realism < gameplay, there are some gameplay points I will make:

Currently it is used to:

Negate counters to snipers: enabling snipers to inflict huge damage without serious threat. If button was removed, I'm sure the number of people using sniper strats vs Ostheer would decrease dramatically.

Hold tanks in ISU range: Trying to flank the ISU? Oh nonono. Even though the forum-folk will tell you "just flank the ISU" the guards will tell you "Stand still, no flanking." Button lasts long enough for ISU to demolish anything but KT or Jagd.

And the cheesiest of ways to use it (and one of the cheesiest 2-click death moves in the whole game):

Hold tanks to drop bomb 1 click "button", 2 click "drop heavy bomb". No more clicks necessary.

Would removing "button" really be bad for the game? Or would it suddenly allow for axis to utilise vehicles more? There would still be AT grenades and mines to keep axis vehicles in check. But no magical STOP! BUTTON TIME!

12 Aug 2014, 09:43 AM

You should of seen button how it was in coh 1.

Smoke negates it instantly, so keep that in mind.

Smoke is doctrinal, but so are gaurds!

Both gaurds and panzer tactician are quite common abilities.
12 Aug 2014, 09:49 AM

Its in game for over 1 year.

Its not going anywhere.

Complaining about button buttoning vehicles is equal to complaining on pshreck about it being able to penetrate armor-absolutely pointless.
12 Aug 2014, 09:55 AM

It's still stupid. Maybe lower the Range a bit?
12 Aug 2014, 10:03 AM

How about make it so that the tank can still move but can't shoot and can't really see too far? It won't be super punishing towards the germans at the same time wont be useless.
12 Aug 2014, 10:25 AM

The ability to button was stupid to begin with.

But I dont see it getting changed either. So this discussion is pointless.
12 Aug 2014, 10:31 AM

It actually worked in real life so why wouldn't it work in game?
12 Aug 2014, 10:35 AM

Considering the mighty ATs that soviet guards are equiped with, :D, I think it should stay. Soviet infantry needs to have SOMETHING to bother the tanks a little.
More than this, there are 2 more reasons to keep it:
1. Whithout DPs you cannot button and DPs are not cheap;
2. You cannot kill a vehicle with it unless you used combined arms (button is pinning the vehicle while othe AT weapon is firing at it) which is a proof of "combined arms" thinking (a bit rare in the soviet spam faction :D).

from realistic point of view, yes, it is stupid.
12 Aug 2014, 10:35 AM

Katitof - I know it's been in the game over a year. You know I know. Why tell me information I know?

Also, note the lack of complaining. I asked what people thought about it.

I saw it in CoH1, it was even worse there. And thx Burts, you're right, smoke does negate it... Still...

"It's not going anywhere"
You do not know this. The chance is very high that it will stay but you do not know. You make similar statements in a lot of threads. And you're missing the point that I'm suggesting that it "go somewhere". If nobody said anything,nothing would happen. I hope for change, goddamnit!

I made the thread with the hope that people would start thinking about it, then talking about it, then Relic would see me and my great suggestion and say "wow, that's a good suggestion, but let's nerf Panzergrenadiers first."

This is the forum dream.
12 Aug 2014, 10:40 AM

I made the thread with the hope that people would start thinking about it, then talking about it, then Relic would see me and my great suggestion and say "wow, that's a good suggestion, but let's nerf Panzergrenadiers first."

:rofl: That was good!
12 Aug 2014, 10:46 AM

We could also give Guards increased received accuracy (during button), that would allow counterplay aslong as the german supports his vehicles.

Button in its current form is simply bad design... and please don't tell me about smoke, smoke is further proof that the abillity is bad design. You don't want one ability in specific commanders totally counter another abillity. Smoke is too good against button.
12 Aug 2014, 11:16 AM

Not as it is ingame. Getting shot at in a tank doesn´t stop you from hitting the gas. Also how are two DPs going to lock down the whole tank crew. That means vision slits of the driver, commanders cupola, vision port of the hull mg gunner etc. at the same time so every function of the tank is disabled. Vision slits could be replaced within seconds also.
12 Aug 2014, 11:20 AM

Not as it is ingame. Getting shot at in a tank doesn´t stop you from hitting the gas. Also how are two DPs going to lock down the whole tank crew. That means vision slits of the driver, commanders cupola, vision port of the hull mg gunner etc. at the same time so every function of the tank is disabled. Vision slits could be replaced within seconds also.

Shooting weapon at tank visor was a valid way to "shock" the driver and "stun" the vehicle.
Guard's anti tank rifles were very potent At weapons. Very mobile but able to kill the crew inside which basically means "destroying" a tank.
12 Aug 2014, 11:20 AM

In ww2 it didn't stop the tank from moving. Just massively reduced vision.
12 Aug 2014, 11:21 AM

12 Aug 2014, 11:29 AM

It's a game isn't?

Well, you said it was like that in reality, now it´s a game. Two DPs - with which the ability is unlocked - could hardly lock down a Tiger. That´s too many vision ports. Also the glass was armored and designed to stop bullets (could crack but not be shot through by MGs). I don´t see how you are going to be dazed for that long of a time. It´s not like the tank driver leans his head directly at the glass.
12 Aug 2014, 11:41 AM

It's the same with infantry charging HMG position up front or tank shell exploding not even a meter a way and unit surviving this.
12 Aug 2014, 11:47 AM

It's the same with infantry charging HMG position up front or tank shell exploding not even a meter a way and unit surviving this.

I agree, realism is not the game's strong point and I'm not suggesting removing button because of realism.

I'm saying it negates the axis hard counters to sniper strats and enables very easy kills when combined with ISU and bombing run.

It's like a counter to flanking. a 360 degree circle of get-out-of-jail-free cards for soviet players.
12 Aug 2014, 11:49 AM

Button was a joke in CoH1 and it continues to be so in CoH2. It goes to show how unforgiving playing Ostheer is with very few options to actually deal with snipers effectively just because of button.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★