Login

russian armor

Allied Medium Tanks Overperforming/too spammable?

PAGES (8)down
27 Jul 2014, 09:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2014, 02:17 AMBubalo

Except you arent taking into account all the teching costs required to get the panther.

But you don't fight with buildings and battlephases, you fight with a 175 fuel tank.

And forgoing T4 as USF is never a good idea, if you can do that and succeed, you have won much earlier.
27 Jul 2014, 09:37 AM
Patrion 310

What are other thoughts on this? I still think there should be a tech level tied to call in's for all troops/tanks, etc. Other than Off maps.

27 Jul 2014, 09:43 AM

Having all callins tied to teching solves many problems.
27 Jul 2014, 10:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2014, 02:03 AMCrysack

Should it really? You're talking about a 490/175 tank winning against 740/260 worth of armour or, in the case of two E8s, 760/270 worth of armour.

You can make the argument that the teching cost needs to be factored in, but the Soviets and US are typically going to tech to T3/T4 anyway out of necessity.
I think it should. Microing a Panther should be rewarded. Keeping the frontal armor at the enemy doesn´t help you much. The Panther takes a lot of damage this way. It should go down when flanked and that should be encouraged, rather than parking medium tanks in front of it.

The cool thing about the CoH series is that the roles of hard counters and smart gameplay matter more than the price (at least most of the time). If I was to build two Panzer IVs (700mp/260 fuel) and park them in front of an IS-2 (640mp/ 245 fuel) without any micro, they would lose the fight. Why not the same with the Panther, which btw. can´t handle infantry as well as other tanks?
27 Jul 2014, 11:08 AM
Donator 22

The only problem is _and has been for a long time_ that call-ins do not require tech.

Take any tank and look at purely its performance vs its cost. You will find that they are all pretty much balanced right.

The problem comes when you can skip tech in favor of getting more tanks via a doctrine. This problem is most obvious with the allies because they have a few doctrines with medium call-in tanks. The Wehrmacht also is quite good at it, not teching and going tigers is still reasonably valid, and of course the most powerful 1v1 doctrine, mechanised assault with their 6cp no-tech STUGE into 11CP tiger, does it better than any soviet doctrine could hope to do. OKW can't do it, but luckily for them they don't require much tech to get their medium tanks out.

exactly. I would also like to see a tech require for call ins and a cheaper panther as well :p
27 Jul 2014, 11:36 AM

I think it should. Microing a Panther should be rewarded. Keeping the frontal armor at the enemy doesn´t help you much. The Panther takes a lot of damage this way. It should go down when flanked and that should be encouraged, rather than parking medium tanks in front of it.

It's the fastest medium tank in the game an an awful lot of CoH2 maps are just totally devoid of any possibility of flanking at all. Make do with what you have.

The cool thing about the CoH series is that the roles of hard counters and smart gameplay matter more than the price (at least most of the time). If I was to build two Panzer IVs (700mp/260 fuel) and park them in front of an IS-2 (640mp/ 245 fuel) without any micro, they would lose the fight. Why not the same with the Panther, which btw. can´t handle infantry as well as other tanks?

Because you're comparing two fairly different scenarios.

Two Easy 8 or T-34-85 against a panther, frontally, are an option you can just about get away with because those two tanks have a reasonable chance of penetration. You'll notice that the two mediums cost around 150% of what the panther did, also. It's two fairly heavy anti-tank mediums against a sniper anti-tank medium.

In the case of two PzIV, you're talking about two more generalist mediums fighting a heavy anti-tank brawling tank, and you're barely at 110% of the cost of that IS-2.

You can't just compare costs without considering unit stats and roles. The relative pen vs armour roles of Easy 8/Panther and PzIV/IS-2 demand different tactics. Axis forces have AT guns with very high values of pen and heavy AT options for dealing with IS-2 that the PzIV is simply not an option for.
27 Jul 2014, 11:46 AM

You can't just compare costs without considering unit stats and roles.
Except I´m doing that. You are totally ignoring that the IS-2 performs like 300% better versus infantry than the Panther.
27 Jul 2014, 11:53 AM

Except I´m doing that. You are totally ignoring that the IS-2 performs like 300% better versus infantry than the Panther.

And a single panther can kite an IS-2 from here to Verdun. Panther is faster and our ranges the IS-2. Troll it all day erry day.

You're really really not playing both units to their strengths in that example. Panthers excel by making use of their long range and superior mobility to stay at ranges where other tanks cannot reliably penetrate- or even fire back at all.

IS-2's excel by keeping other tanks close where it's not going to miss and can make use of a large HP pool and even thicker frontal armour to out-slug more mobile tanks that could otherwise simply rotate out for repairs and tie it up forever.
27 Jul 2014, 12:01 PM

Ally Tanks need no nerf,
Because it has the unique Chance to win against good OKW players.
If u will nerf Medium Tanks then the strong WEHR/OKW Tanks will be nerfed.
27 Jul 2014, 12:16 PM

Did you forget the Panther's terrible accuracy at long range/on the move? Why not fix that? I would be ok if they leave the Panther where it is now but only increasing his accuracy. Right now it is too unrealiable to chase tanks. Why so much range if it cant hit a thing?
27 Jul 2014, 12:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge

And a single panther can kite an IS-2 from here to Verdun. Panther is faster and our ranges the IS-2. Troll it all day erry day.

At 50 range and moving, the Panther has a 33% chance of hitting the IS2, and a 58% chance of penetrating. Multiply that and on average, one out of five shots will damage the IS2. You'll have to kite for a full 224 seconds, or nearly 4 minutes (!), to kill it. Good luck finding a map large enough for that.
27 Jul 2014, 12:24 PM

Panther is never worth 175 fuel! you must cost too much fuel to get ony 1 panther, about 400 fuel i think, Ostheer have to spend much time and fuel to tec. And finally, you just get a tank which have poor accuracy and anti-infantry ability. NEVER WORTH 175 FUEL!
27 Jul 2014, 12:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

At 50 range and moving, the Panther has a 33% chance of hitting the IS2, and a 58% chance of penetrating. Multiply that and on average, one out of five shots will damage the IS2. You'll have to kite for a full 224 seconds, or nearly 4 minutes (!), to kill it. Good luck finding a map large enough for that.

You cant calculate that, scatter plays a too big role for that. Althought the scatter on the panther is aawful
27 Jul 2014, 12:44 PM

Did you forget the Panther's terrible accuracy at long range/on the move? Why not fix that? I would be ok if they leave the Panther where it is now but only increasing his accuracy. Right now it is too unrealiable to chase tanks. Why so much range if it cant hit a thing?

I have been a long time supporter of allowing the panther to have a smaller moving accuracy penalty to help better distinguish it from the Tiger.

And at 50 range and moving the IS-2 has a zero percent chance of shooting at the panther, multiply that by the zero chance of hitting and an IS-2 would have to chase for infinity minutes (!!) to kill the panther.

It's a joke point, yes, but still. Even without the moving accuracy, the panther is a fantastic tank sniper. Really shines when attacking a point- you can stop to shoot, pull back when an enemy tries to return fire and pause for your next shot. If they chase too far, faust and finish the job.

Seriously, though. Panther are amazing even as they are so long as you use them against mediums with some care and attention.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46424117/Panther1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46424117/Panther2.jpg

Dem panthers, bro.
27 Jul 2014, 13:29 PM

I have been a long time supporter of allowing the panther to have a smaller moving accuracy penalty to help better distinguish it from the Tiger.

And at 50 range and moving the IS-2 has a zero percent chance of shooting at the panther, multiply that by the zero chance of hitting and an IS-2 would have to chase for infinity minutes (!!) to kill the panther.

It's a joke point, yes, but still. Even without the moving accuracy, the panther is a fantastic tank sniper. Really shines when attacking a point- you can stop to shoot, pull back when an enemy tries to return fire and pause for your next shot. If they chase too far, faust and finish the job.

Seriously, though. Panther are amazing even as they are so long as you use them against mediums with some care and attention.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46424117/Panther1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46424117/Panther2.jpg

Dem panthers, bro.

Panthers are not amazing but medicore at best. 50 range will not help you since you need to have some scouts which IS-2 will kill with no problems. For a very long time Panther is very weak tank for its price.
27 Jul 2014, 13:58 PM

I think Allied medium tanks are definitely very strong for their cost, but they kind of need to be.

Consider the fact that the Americans have no heavy tanks, and really strong/cost effective medium tanks start to make sense. If their medium tanks weren't as good as they currently are, they would have no other option than AT guns in the late game against German heavies.

I think the Panther is definitely strong. I see them misused more often than I see them used properly or conservatively. People seem to think that because it's a 175 fuel tank, they can just run it straight into any Allied army with good results.
27 Jul 2014, 14:09 PM

I think the Panther is definitely strong. I see them misused more often than I see them used properly or conservatively. People seem to think that because it's a 175 fuel tank, they can just run it straight into any Allied army with good results.

Pretty much 90% of the panthers I see in game too, especially with OKW players.

They see it as the only medium tank, buy one and push it forwards like some sort of glorified PzIV.
27 Jul 2014, 14:21 PM

Panther is not terrible when defending, but what do I do if I want to attack? You cannot just defend, you need to attack to take territory or take down those Katyushas, and if they have heavy tanks like the ISU-152 I need to be aggressive and flank it if I want to deal with them.

In such situations at least I personally feel like it doesn't offer me more than a cheaper medium tank would. It has only slightly more health (or not even that compared to a T34/85), the range doesn't help much here and you can not really ensure that you get only hit in the front on such an attack.

If you have advice how to make a Panther work well in the offensive I would like to hear that.
27 Jul 2014, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2014, 14:21 PMgokkel
Panther is not terrible when defending, but what do I do if I want to attack? You cannot just defend, you need to attack to take territory or take down those Katyushas, and if they have heavy tanks like the ISU-152 I need to be aggressive and flank it if I want to deal with them.

In such situations at least I personally feel like it doesn't offer me more than a cheaper medium tank would. It has only slightly more health (or not even that compared to a T34/85), the range doesn't help much here and you can not really ensure that you get only hit in the front on such an attack.

If you have advice how to make a Panther work well in the offensive I would like to hear that.

It's not the role the panther fits best in game, but it's still a fast medium with great pen. If you want to flank with a panther, it's never a good idea to do it long and wide- too much risk of getting snared and dying for you to throw it away like a cheaper tank.

Your best option is to engage frontally and try sneak the panther in edgeways- close enough to your actual lines to be defensible if it does get snared.

Aggressive panthers, though, are not aggressive in the same way that an IS-2 is. Never lead with your panther- lead with infantry and AT guns and whatever else you have and have the panther keep stride with them. That 50 range is not to be under-estimated; it means other tanks cannot engage you or your infantry without getting shot back at by the panther midst the troops.
27 Jul 2014, 14:34 PM

I would prefer a time to call (training time)rather than delaying by CPs. The tanks come then maybe a minute later but you spent the resources so opportunity cost is different. The biggest problem is that call ins lead to a spammy and cheesy meta, mabye its not unbalanced but it's not fun.

Something similar to the cooldown they put on elite rifles. I think that was a good balancing mechanic, only the E8 in that doctrine now is a bit of a no brainer to call in. That being said, when I've skipped general I find myself missing the option to get a Jackson.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 47
Netherlands 37
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L