Login

russian armor

Soviet Industry still OP?

19 Jul 2014, 01:21 AM

I just played a game as OKW vs Soviets where my opponent used the Soviet Industry commander. I'd never played against this commander as I played mostly all Soviets until WFA came out (and didn't have this commander myself), so I'm not really familiar with it. I know it was a big deal when it came out, but I thought it got nerfed.

Anyway, I was able to win the game thanks to two vetted up Volks squads with shreks, but I just couldn't believe how fast he was churning out T-34s, KV-8s, and KV-2s. I held the south fuel (on Kolodny Ferma) pretty much all game and was able to harass the northern fuel and his cutoff for a good part of the game. Even towards the end with me holding the entire map except for one strategic point with a fuel cache...he was earning +26 fuel per minute. I didn't look at his fuel when map control was about even, but it must have been +50 or more.

I know the balance is the Soviets pay for that fuel in manpower, but I'm still curious what the consensus is on this commander? Still considered strong? OP?

P.S. - The replay is attached if you're interested. Not super high level play by any stretch, but I thought I made a good comeback when it looked pretty grim. Had some nice OKW vet by the end thanks to good unit preservation which I've learned is the absolute key to this faction.

19 Jul 2014, 01:27 AM

I was able to win the game

You answered your own question.
19 Jul 2014, 01:37 AM

You answered your own question.

Yeah...thought it might have been because of a difference in skill level. If he would have amassed a few more tanks (which wouldn't have been hard at that rate of fuel) and came at me all at once, I'd have been over.
19 Jul 2014, 01:58 AM

Well if you have another match that you feel you unfairly lost because of industry then I would be happy to hear you out. But in this case you obviously found a way to beat your opponent. In my own experiences I have never seen industry truly pay off. It has obvious disadvantages and I only ever see it used in team games. So I will have to disagree with you.
19 Jul 2014, 02:11 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Industry is great for getting the first few tanks out. After that, it results in more fuel than you can expend. The KV2 is badass though, extremely good as a late-game infantry bleeder, and packs enough punch to fight tanks (mostly outside of siege mode though).

Overall, I think it's well balanced now. The manpower hit is big.
19 Jul 2014, 02:32 AM

Well if you have another match that you feel you unfairly lost because of industry then I would be happy to hear you out. But in this case you obviously found a way to beat your opponent. In my own experiences I have never seen industry truly pay off. It has obvious disadvantages and I only ever see it used in team games. So I will have to disagree with you.

Nothing to disagree with...it was just a question because I was surprised with how the armor just kept coming. I was really just trying to get opinions on the state of the commander to see if it was still considered strong or OP to get an idea if I should be ready to see more of it once people have it as a result of war spoils.
19 Jul 2014, 09:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

It's no longer OP since they pushed it back to 3CP

When it works it is good, but it is very hard to get the balance of fuel and MP right

If someone over commits in the early game their upkeep means they cannot get many tanks out, but if they are too cautious they have no field presence

It ought to be good via OKW because you are not fighting their elite infantry with infantry, however I have not yet made it work
19 Jul 2014, 09:23 AM

I can't think of worse doctrine for 1v1 then industry.

Its pretty horrible in 2v2 as well.

The doctrine was absolutely nerf battered into uselessness to the point where it is a shame to loose to it.

Its a doctrine designed to spam a tank that got huge cost increases and is impossible to spam.

MP penalty ensures that you will always have a huge edge over army with artificial 45 popcap.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★