Login

russian armor

Soviet tier 1 and 2 design

20 May 2014, 23:48 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I wish to express my concerns about how the soviet core army is designed. By this I mean to say how tiers and their respective units.

For example if we compare special rifle command and support weapon kampaneya you might as yourself why soviet tier one has no AT at all? You only have a sniper, a scoutcar both usefull units but then you have penals wich are weird. They have no roll, no purpose. I think that guard should replace the penal. Let them come with 6 svt rifles and allow them to be upgraded with a weapn package that enables dp machine guns and better performing ptrs rifles.

20 May 2014, 23:56 PM

It's because Relic used the US Army's tiering system as a framework when they were placing units in CoH2. If you go into either data.sga or attrib.sga and look at soviet.ai, you'll see that the Soviet buildings in the game's code are called BARRACKS, WEAPONS_SUPPORT_CENTER, MOTOR_POOL, and TANK_DEPOT. Likewise, in BARRACKS you'll find a Riflemen and Jeep analog. In WEAPONS_SUPPORT_CENTER you find the MG and Mortar. Only real difference is Sniper has been switched to Rax and AT Gun to WSC.
21 May 2014, 02:00 AM

I think Sov T1 having no AT is fine as long as the units in it are powerful enough against infantry for that to be true. I think the M3 is the best early game unit this patch, and double snipers in 2v2s can be devastating as well.
So it can make sense to forgo that heavy AT early-mid game for extremely powerful AI. If the M3 was worse, or if the snipers were as vulnerable as Ost snipers, I would agree that T1 would need some sort of AT to make it not completely pointless.
21 May 2014, 02:02 AM

Yeah Shock Troops were even called Rangers in the end-game stat screen in the beta, but that's long since been patched away. T1 and T2 are still very similar, but T3 and T4 have very little in common.

T1:
Penals (Riflemen)
Scout Car (Jeep)
Sniper (Transferred from US T2 obviously to make T1 more appealing)

T2:
MG Team
Mortar Team
AT Gun (Transferred from US T3 to replace Sniper)

T3:
Half-Track
T-70 (M8)
-similarities end here-

It's a shame the M-42 Anti-Tank Gun couldn't be used as a stop-gap in T1, but they already added it to Commanders and anything in a Commander is set-in-stone.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★