Login

russian armor

No Love for the Ostheer Sniper

12 Apr 2014, 03:38 AM

Haven't seen one lately. Surprise -

I've tried building a few and I can't make good use of them. The range nerf hurts more than the armor nerf - you have to have a spotting squad. If I had a gren in a position where I could spot the Maxim without getting suppressed, then I would be flanking it. So what is the Ostheer sniper supposed to be good for?

Honestly, it needs to be 80 HP if the LOS nerf is going to stay. This is just a totally useless unit, very hard to make pay off now. Not to mention mortars are more likely to kill it than a Soviet sniper. And Guards. Oh God, Guards with their long-range DPS...

No Gren whine please, let's talk about the unit as if they were re-bufing cons. Which they will.

12 Apr 2014, 04:11 AM

Oh, on the contrary i think the German Ostheer sniper is better now since all the early game USSR units are a lot worse at long-range.

Though im just thinking theoretically here. I'l guess i shall try it out when im playing more often and comeback later on with some feedback.
12 Apr 2014, 04:20 AM

It definitely needs more survivability. That armor was really vital to it. I can hoorah a conscript squad at one, forcing it to retreat because i still have half my squad, which is easily enough to kill it. And yes, you are right. You need to set up an environment in order to have the german sniper firing effectively. It is much more efficient to just get gren squads with their rifle nade and upgradable lmg. You'll see more kills with that than the sniper, which is sad.
12 Apr 2014, 04:40 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i think the new idea with snipers is that they have to be supported. They can't go rambo and be back in time for dinner. :D
12 Apr 2014, 05:04 AM

Which I think is a shame because the old snipers could also be used for scouting, the only way they were bad was armour RNG (ost) and duel+ snipers (sov). The new ones can't scout and need to be babysat 10x more closely.

With everything being much more squishy and tanks getting only "Hold Fire" and not simply "Target Vehicles", I feel like this is gonna turn into Company of Babysitting. :P
12 Apr 2014, 06:06 AM

I like it and use it often but I always keep it around a bunker or mg42. That being said, I don't get it when the soviet goes t1.
12 Apr 2014, 07:28 AM

Permanently Banned
I like german snipers, i usually make one for fun, and if enemy bring ST then make 2-3 and pretending myself i am InverseSSSS. :D
But sometimes they die from conscripts even if they are at long range. weird...
12 Apr 2014, 08:55 AM

Ostheer snipers are still highly effective when I use them. I don't really notice any difference when I am using them due to the health and vision changes. Yes, you have to be a bit more cautious with them now, however due to the increased lethality of small arms fire from supporting grens/mg42 they are easier to keep alive from conscripts.
12 Apr 2014, 09:21 AM

I used one yesterday on Hill331, did some good damage. But if you have no MG for backup, it's a retreat party.
12 Apr 2014, 09:57 AM

Permanently Banned
IF enemy went t2, he cant do nothing against german sniper. Mortal? LOOOL, noope nooope noooope :D
12 Apr 2014, 10:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 09:57 AMakosi
IF enemy went t2, he cant do nothing against german sniper. Mortal? LOOOL, noope nooope noooope :D

...except the counter to German snipers are actually Maxims on a-move command. I dare you to snipe it. Come closer.
12 Apr 2014, 10:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 10:27 AMtengen

...except the counter to German snipers are actually Maxims on a-move command. I dare you to snipe it. Come closer.
That. I haven´t built a German sniper in this patch after I lost the first one to a Maxim. There´s almost no range advantage the Sniper has over the Maxim. With that short sight range you have to immediately stop him to not run into the arc of fire. Way too risky when you have to pay attention elsewhere.
12 Apr 2014, 11:28 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 10:27 AMtengen

amatour :D
12 Apr 2014, 21:03 PM

Ost sniper is very, very niche now. If your opponent goes heavy shocks (more than 1 squad) I find myself pulling one, this is generally later at the 8 or 9 minute mark, to bleed them. I never ever build them early in the game now since they are so likely to die and they are pretty unimpressive against scripts since I can just use Grens for far less risk and cost. The new buff to damage means the difference between the sniper kill time and grens is pretty low now.
12 Apr 2014, 21:07 PM

Why do you need the poor nerfed sniper while Grens do the job better?

That. I haven´t built a German sniper in this patch after I lost the first one to a Maxim. There´s almost no range advantage the Sniper has over the Maxim. With that short sight range you have to immediately stop him to not run into the arc of fire. Way too risky when you have to pay attention elsewhere.

+1
12 Apr 2014, 21:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2014, 04:40 AMWiFiDi
i think the new idea with snipers is that they have to be supported. They can't go rambo and be back in time for dinner. :D

"Yo mam I'm gona kill some cons, k?"
"BE BACK IN TIME FOR DINER!!"
"Lolz, I'm osth sniper, ofc.."

13 Apr 2014, 00:34 AM

Due to previous Soviet dominance I was forced to introduce sniper play into my typical German BO and I have to admit that German Sniper is a killing machine when used correctly. Now even more than previously. Never leave home without one.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★