Login

russian armor

2014: Strongest faction and doctrines of COH?

10 Mar 2014, 05:54 AM

I usually get only the 1st infantry vet, because it regenerates health. Then I use the fuel for Stugs. I only vet when I start getting 'rich' in fuel. Otherwise, it's stugs, stugs, stugs.

So what's wrong with Stug Spam? I find that teching any more than that to be too expensive, and so are Panzer IV's and Panthers during mid game.

I only roll out my first panther in late game and when I have fuel to tech.

Same thing with Americans: I always do only M10s first and when I get rich in fuel, I'll start getting Sherman 76s.

I do have a question:

M10 or M18?? I've noticed that M18 is usually chosen but I play offensively with tanks (flanking) so I use M10. I think cloak is more for defensive and holding a front line and not a good use of fuel since the Americans have 57mm guns with AP rounds. I'd rather park 1-2 AT guns instead of M18s.

So overall, I like M10s considerably more.
10 Mar 2014, 08:14 AM

Vet 1 infantry for regeneration are great, but if you use more Grens, vet 2 giving elite armour making them beast, but the downside is Sniper can even having 100% accuracy even they are retreating. Volks doesn't get elite armour in vet 2, but they are given spotting scope fixed on their eyes :lol:

For Stug spam, there is nothing wrong. Even better while you are using RHS Blitzkrieg. You can bump them out non-stop.

For Yankee tanks, you can't blindly get a M10 like T-34/76 because one M10 can almost do nothing. You get M10/M18 only because there is an panzer out there you would like to destroy. Getting a M10 first or M4 first is related to your opponent unit combination.

M10/M18? Their armour and cannon are the same, but
Not sure if 2.700 solved any bug, if not

Choose M10 because
- higher speed, you can use it to crush Inf (especially Knight Cross)

Not choose M10 because
- its cannon has some bugs, it shoots, but sometimes nothing comes out

Choose M18 because
- It can use camo like Pak38, multiple cloaked M18 can easily fuck up an unawared Panther

Not choose M18 because
- its size is bigger causing some patching problem, while flanking axis panzer, they may block each other for some unknown reason
- its MG upgrade is worthless
10 Mar 2014, 09:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 08:14 AMPorygon
Vet 1 infantry for regeneration are great, but if you use more Grens, vet 2 giving elite armour making them beast, but the downside is Sniper can even having 100% accuracy even they are retreating.
It's vet3. Vet2 inf doesn't bring any malus to grens.

10 Mar 2014, 15:27 PM

The reason I get M10s out as fast as I can (for anti-infantry I use T17 armored car) because I know that Stugs and other things will start appearing or already have.

The M10 has a stronger penetration (based on reading the wikia..) than the M18 or 76 Sherman. That is why I like it. I also like its smaller size (good for pathing) and slightly better turret speed/speed overall.

The only thing going for the M18 is the cloaked ambush IMO. Still, I don't know why so many go M18 since they tend to use them like M10's.
10 Mar 2014, 16:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 09:29 AMPepsi
It's vet3. Vet2 inf doesn't bring any malus to grens.

Pepsi you remember it wrong.

http://hq-coh.com/stats/coh-stats.com/Veterancy_Grenadiers.html

For Gren:
Vet1: Regeneration
Vet2: Above + Elite armour
Vet3: Above + 1.2 HP

For Volks:
Vet1: Regeneration
Vet2: Above + Sight + little bit less suppression + neglectable less damage receive
Vet3: Above + 1.2 HP

Basically vet 3 inf is not worthed, it is like asking your opponent getting a couple of snipers immediately

Still, I don't know why so many go M18 since they tend to use them like M10's.

Because of M10 shooting bug, you won't like it two M10s shooting air into an almost dead Tiger's ass, and got owned by Pak38
10 Mar 2014, 16:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 16:31 PMPorygon

Pepsi you remember it wrong.

http://hq-coh.com/stats/coh-stats.com/Veterancy_Grenadiers.html

This site was good back in 2009, pre 2.601? look at the roos cost (this is a reference...).
You won't snipe at 100% accuracy a vet2 gren on retreat right now.
But you'll snipe a vet3 gren on retreat.
10 Mar 2014, 17:54 PM

I got to say that I like the M10's higher pen, so the shooting bug doesn't bother me. I find that the M18/76 bounces noticeably more.
10 Mar 2014, 18:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 16:59 PMPepsi

This site was good back in 2009, pre 2.601? look at the roos cost (this is a reference...).

vet 1 = health regen
vet 2 = elite armour
vet 3 = 20% health boost

l2p huehuehue
11 Mar 2014, 09:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 18:03 PMTommy

vet 1 = health regen
vet 2 = elite armour
vet 3 = 20% health boost

l2p huehuehue

The question is doesn't retreating vet3 grens get sniped at 100% accuracy ?
I'm pretty sure it's a vet3 malus. Otherwise my werh builds since the last 3 years were wrong lol.
11 Mar 2014, 15:28 PM

Vet 2 and upwards grens should always get sniped under 'normal' circumstances (ie no smoke or other accuracy affecting bonuses/buffs/debuffs).
15 Mar 2014, 06:57 AM

I find it unexpected that commandos is considered the best doctrine.

British infantry is very expensive compared to churchills. Both the SMG commandos and sections are 510 manpower.

In comparison, churchills can be called in at 600 manpower and at just 3 cps. At 5 CPs, AVRE's can be called and they massacre infantry.

I have personally found the commando doctrine to be redundant.

hmmph, there is something that I'm missing here..

I am talking 2v2 here.

Infantry Sections are 450 manpower each. Commandos are 560 manpower each. Look, each British doctrine is situational. They all are useful. I actually believe the British's worst doctrine is Engineers, simply because it gives you nothing to spend your munitions on.

I actually like the Artillery doctrine for the FOO artillery. It comes at 2 CP's and has won many a game for me when I have used it on a blob of PG's or a clumped up Wehr defensive line with MG's, Pak's etc.

In 1v1, Commandos are a very very good doctrine and if you time it right, a glider drop with commandos can win you the game, if you are attacking a Wehr defensive position frontally and you drop Commando's in from behind to take out a Pak or an MG they can give your Stuart free reign early and win you the game.
17 Mar 2014, 16:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 16:59 PMPepsi

Nope, wrong. Elite armour is applied at vet 2, and snipers have an accuracy bonus against elite armour. So they'll snipe vet 2 and vet 3 grens with the same but higher accuracy.
19 Mar 2014, 09:53 AM

I got to say that I like the M10's higher pen, so the shooting bug doesn't bother me. I find that the M18/76 bounces noticeably more.

But M18's rate of fire is higher, no missfire bug and higher top speed and vision mean it's better than M10 when dealing with anything which not a heavy tank. And as American it's not like you can rely on your armor vs late game Axis tank, except if you go Armor doc but if your opponent let you go Armor and still hang out to late game then you're winning anyway.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2014, 08:14 AMPorygon

Not choose M18 because
- its size is bigger causing some patching problem, while flanking axis panzer, they may block each other for some unknown reason
- its MG upgrade is worthless

Really? I think its MG is as powerful as M8 and Sherman's? Just that it's a bit risky to spend 75 munition on a fragile tank destroyer.
19 Mar 2014, 14:33 PM

Ok.

Each faction basically one doctrine that works in competitive or even-leveled play:

US - Inf
WM - Terror (well, ok, you might be able both others and it might work, just coz wm is op as it is)
Brits - Arty
PE - Luft

Oh and M18 > m10 unless you're in Elite Mod.

/thread
19 Mar 2014, 18:00 PM
Patrion 14

Ok.
Oh and M18 > m10 unless you're in Elite Mod.

Depends. Even with the bug shoot you need the extra penetration in 2vs2.
19 Mar 2014, 18:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2014, 18:00 PMFanatic

Depends. Even with the bug shoot you need the extra penetration in 2vs2.

If you want to rush enemy heavy tank with AWM of course M10 is better, but if you play any different way then M18 is better.

30 Mar 2014, 21:31 PM

I have played COH a bit more and have changed my views on things.

Infantry company for USA is the best

Commandos for the British

LW for the PE

I haven't played Wehr recently so I am still undecided. But I still think it's blitz rather than Terror.
30 Mar 2014, 22:00 PM

there is no "best" doctrine, they are situational and depend vs who you are playing.
For example, you say for usa infantry is the best...well vs PE it's probably the "worst".
So it all depends on sitation, opponent, playstyle,...
But usa and wehr doctrines are more balanced than PE and especially brit ones...
30 Mar 2014, 23:10 PM

well vs PE it's probably the "worst"

Not really, rangers are pretty good against PE and OMCG is ok too.

Infantry is the good all round US doc, but if you can hang on to late game without losing then Armor is the best.
30 Mar 2014, 23:20 PM

Not really, rangers are pretty good against PE and OMCG is ok too.

Infantry is the good all round US doc, but if you can hang on to late game without losing then Armor is the best.

agreed...but then you don't have
1. strafe
2. emergency dropped 57s or paras if you see PIV
3. field repairs when ATHT immobilizes your m10
4. pershing
5. calli
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L