Login

russian armor

Dealing with Coastal bunker spam?

23 Dec 2023, 17:42 PM

How are you guys dealing with it?

While I'm generally happy with where the game is after this patch the new Italian Coastal bg, IMO, is one of the worst things I've seen in CoH history. It takes everything that was bad about the Brit sim city strat in CoH2 and ramps it to 1000.

I've seen some good players use it well and creatively, but mostly I see (in 2v2/3v3) players spamming self building/healing/fortified bunkers across a map creating a huge force multiplier (with no impact on pop cap) that is amazingly difficult to break. Upgraded bombing runs don't destroy one of them, and even if it did, it's too expensive to rely on when they can simply point and click to create another one. On map is too inaccurate to destroy one in a single barrage so it generally repairs before the cool down is up unless you can hit it with a secondary source, and then again they just rebuild it instantly.

You can't approach with infantry because of the MG bunkers and you can't approach with tanks because of the PAK43 like AT bunkers.

The only thing that has worked for me so far is dominating them so badly early that they can't really get set up. That doesn't work in an actual competitive game. Similarly, if you can break a flank, you can often destroy a number of the bunkers until they send backup or get smart and create more bunkers facing your flank up the line which stops you cold.

Just curious how others allied players are faring against this?
24 Dec 2023, 09:57 AM

Playing vs. AI works pretty well for me. Joking but also serious.

Theoretically, the right play is to contest the field to the best of your ability, putting constant pressure so that they can't build.

More realistically, if you get pushed off the field and they can get a bunker built and you can't field a howitzer or the indian mortar, then I think it would be best to shift your army to the flanks, supporting your teammates in order to make a breakthrough, then try to destroy the bunkers from behind later.

Hopefully all the manpower spent on static defenses means that their infantry isn't up to snuff in a battle where you aren't in the crosshairs of a bunker MG.

Outside of the pak howi and indian arty, AT guns and squads equipped with bazookas (standing behind the bunker ofc) are the most efficient counter to bunkers, I think. If they don't have good indirect, then you can simply use scouts to give sight to AT guns while they demo the bunkers.

Of course, this is a 4v4 strategy, and also I'm like rank 1,000+, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
25 Dec 2023, 20:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2023, 17:42 PMHawk
How are you guys dealing with it?

While I'm generally happy with where the game is after this patch the new Italian Coastal bg, IMO, is one of the worst things I've seen in CoH history. It takes everything that was bad about the Brit sim city strat in CoH2 and ramps it to 1000.

I've seen some good players use it well and creatively, but mostly I see (in 2v2/3v3) players spamming self building/healing/fortified bunkers across a map creating a huge force multiplier (with no impact on pop cap) that is amazingly difficult to break. Upgraded bombing runs don't destroy one of them, and even if it did, it's too expensive to rely on when they can simply point and click to create another one. On map is too inaccurate to destroy one in a single barrage so it generally repairs before the cool down is up unless you can hit it with a secondary source, and then again they just rebuild it instantly.

You can't approach with infantry because of the MG bunkers and you can't approach with tanks because of the PAK43 like AT bunkers.

The only thing that has worked for me so far is dominating them so badly early that they can't really get set up. That doesn't work in an actual competitive game. Similarly, if you can break a flank, you can often destroy a number of the bunkers until they send backup or get smart and create more bunkers facing your flank up the line which stops you cold.

Just curious how others allied players are faring against this?

As USF 2 emplacement mortars with the Armored BG repair truck to keep them up. This BG is effectively the worst of Relic concentrated.
26 Dec 2023, 16:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Dec 2023, 20:15 PMEsxile

As USF 2 emplacement mortars with the Armored BG repair truck to keep them up. This BG is effectively the worst of Relic concentrated.

I feel like I don't need to caption this.
27 Dec 2023, 06:18 AM

you're not wrong in the sense that it feels as if they said, "hey let's take all of the most irritating shit about camping a map and make a faction out of that". It's frustrating and retarded. As someone said, smoke with mortars then move behind them them and take them all out, leaving an offmap arty on your way out, then team pushes in to kill the ones that will try to rebuild right away.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★