Login

russian armor

Commander Overlap a serious problem

PAGES (11)down
21 Nov 2013, 01:26 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Commander Overlap

Restructuring the commanders is completely doable and restructuring the commanders now is easier to do then when Relic was first putting them together thats for sure, given that we understand how each ability actually works in the game and there is a wider testing area for implementation.

Given those facts if Relic doesn't want to restructure the commanders to have tactical depth, unique abilities and a feeling that commanders are a big deal (not a side show) in every game, then Relic is either lazy or greedy.

I want to make a specific point when I say Relic I don't mean the people at the ground level doing the work, testing and creating. Rather, I'm pointing at whoever are the decision makers at the top who decided it was okay to overlap abilities, some up to five times.

I don't mean to sound harsh, because I love everyone at Relic, I'm trying to help by pointing this out, but the people at the top need to get a grip on this and understand this is a serious problem, and more importantly, that it can and should be fixed. If it were fixed COH2 would be a much better game which in the end, will lead to a better experience for the community as a whole and more $$ for Relic.

Having said that, The new commanders (as you will see) have less overlap and its clear Relic understands my point to a certain level. But the overlap continues and the old commanders absolutely need to be overhauled in order for them to actually feel like commanders.

Take a look at the amount of overlap. Colors represent #of times that an ability overlaps with another commander.

Germans
Bigger Picture

Bigger Picture

Soviets
Bigger Picture

Bigger Picture

Instead of having commanders unlock in a strait line, which is boring and tactically shallow, the choice system should be implemented as follows (just an example of what the choice setup is, not an actual commander)

21 Nov 2013, 01:36 AM

use IMGUR is a better hosting site
21 Nov 2013, 02:43 AM
21 Nov 2013, 02:58 AM

I agree and approve of the suggestion

It's not looking at vcoh through rose tinted glasses - it's just that this is a better way to implement doctrines
21 Nov 2013, 03:03 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

It's not looking at vcoh through rose tinted glasses - it's just that this is a better way to implement doctrines

This
21 Nov 2013, 03:15 AM

i think commanders should be reworked yeah but the way i think is that every ability slot should have more bonuses, like 2 passives bonus or 1 active 1 passive bonus for every slot, and with really fun things
for example: the first ability of the ostruppen commander should have an active component(call in ostruppen) and a passive one(allows the construction of trenches) and you give more funny stuff to that commander by using the old trench slot
you also change the names and icons to something more abstract.
Ability slots that only allows you to build certain unit should not exist, this game should not be that simple but more complex
21 Nov 2013, 03:18 AM

Couldn't agree with this suggestion any more. Commanders feel far too shallow and in some cases, obsolete and gimmicky. This would resolve both of these issues and allow for more variety instead of limiting you to a very linear play style.
21 Nov 2013, 03:29 AM

finally, someone who can word it better. this has been irking me since release.
21 Nov 2013, 03:40 AM

+1 been saying this since back in June. Whoever made the doctrines I'm sorry but you're just going to have to completely start from scratch because I can not put in to words how shitty of a system this is.

First of all, some of these things should be non doctrinal because having so many doctrinal units detracts from strategic depth. Second, there needs to be less total commanders so that they have more individuality. The only thing unique about these doctrines when abilities are recurring 2-6 times is the fucking face in the menu. No ability should appear more than twice, nuff said.
21 Nov 2013, 03:47 AM
Honorary Member Badge

problem is they are alredy knee deep in the current system, otherwise i like.
21 Nov 2013, 03:54 AM

Nice idea to explore!
+100
21 Nov 2013, 04:07 AM

+1000000000000000000000
21 Nov 2013, 04:11 AM

+1

I completely agree that providing a form of choice will do nothing but add to the strategic choice of the game, especially for Soviets who seem to need pick earlier for Guards/Shocks and thus get locked in to a specific linear flow.

The thing that worries me now with this approach is that it will further increase the overlap of doctrines and make it more difficult to truly determine what your opponent has chosen. None the less though, having more choice within the doctrines out wieghs the negatives of more overlap. If they did change the old doctrines by replacing some abilities with the new DLC abilites I believe it would be perfect to implement the proposed system by WhiteFlash.
21 Nov 2013, 04:13 AM

I endorse this solution wholeheartedly.
ntd
21 Nov 2013, 04:20 AM
Admin Black Badge

21 Nov 2013, 04:35 AM

Well played WhiteFlash.

I agree completely. It seems that the new commanders being released are more extreme than original released commanders; this throws the game off. However, it doesn't have to be bad. All that has to happen is make other commanders just as unique as (for example) Mech assault or ostruppen doctrines. Adding the choices for each doctrine (left/right/middle(???)) would only ass to the depth of the game.

Thank you for summing this all up in a nice post with diagrams. I hope something is done soon about commanders.
21 Nov 2013, 04:36 AM

+1000000000000000000

Please take note relic!!!!
21 Nov 2013, 04:48 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

21 Nov 2013, 04:52 AM

+1
21 Nov 2013, 05:05 AM

Current system is uninspired. +1 for this
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest