Login

russian armor

Panzer IV Command tank Buff

• This thread is locked
9 Nov 2013, 02:02 AM

The Germans have a good tank in the form of the Panzer IV Long but the P4 stubby gets ignored.

The P4 command tank is one of the least used and least cost effective weapons in the game, and I personally believe that it would be actually bought and used if it got a strong DPS and AI buff.

Besides the bonuses, it's supposed to be the AI version of the KV-8 for the Ostheer but it falls far short, and possesses the same poor gun as the STUG III E.

So I'm thinking:

- An AL buff for the main gun, just like the Pz4 from the PE faction of vCOH. It should remain useless against armor as before, but be a good AI weapon, and at least as good, if not better than the Tiger's main gun. Then align the cost with its actual effectiveness.

Currently, its fuel cost is higher than the P4 even though it's an almost useless tank.
9 Nov 2013, 03:23 AM

Besides the bonuses, it's supposed to be the AI version of the KV-8 for the Ostheer

what gave you that idea? they really have nothing in common. i guess they both suck against tanks, but that doesnt make them counterparts. the purpose of the command tank is to provide the defensive bonus. its gun is a bit lacking, but i dont think it needs a buff since its job really is to be sitting safely in the back as support.
9 Nov 2013, 03:30 AM

Id like to see it be able to lock down somewhere and provide a radius bonus instead of a territory bonus at the expense of its main gun being disabled
9 Nov 2013, 04:35 AM

Woof,

I find that players do not care about the defense bonus; the fuel cost is better put into a tank that can attack enemy territory and has a fighting role (AI and/or AT) This is why it is rare tank to see.
raw
9 Nov 2013, 08:59 AM

PzIV and PzIV Command are identical, the higher fuel cost is due to their boosting ability.

9 Nov 2013, 10:11 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Nov 2013, 08:59 AMraw
PzIV and PzIV Command are identical, the higher fuel cost is due to their boosting ability.

Health and armor-wise they are identical. The P4 command tank is faster, but it's gun is significantly inferior to that of the standard P4 vs armor. It's mediocre against infantry, somewhat better than the normal P4, but not especially good (esp. compared to the Ostwind or KV8).

So you're paying more fuel and manpower for a 0.8 received damage modifier that only works on friendly territory and for much worse performance against vehicles than a normal P4 with a moderate anti-infantry buff.

I haven't had the chance to use it much, but it seemed fairly unimpressive the last time I did. It doesn't dismantle infantry like the original P4 IST did, and I didn't notice the defensive aura really swinging any battles moreso than an additional Ostwind would have.
9 Nov 2013, 10:46 AM

I haven't had the chance to use it much, but it seemed fairly unimpressive the last time I did. It doesn't dismantle infantry like the original P4 IST did, and I didn't notice the defensive aura really swinging any battles moreso than an additional Ostwind would have.

the reduced damage modifier is actually really strong. for example, an su85 normally kills a p4 in 4 shots. with the modifier, it will take 5, which means each tank will live atleast a 4.25 seconds longer. it really starts adding up when you have a lot of tanks. it also stacks with vet, so a tank will take .36 recieved damage at vet 2. that makes a p4 take 12 shots from an su85.
9 Nov 2013, 14:14 PM

I like using Panzer IV Command tank together with the lock down ability to defend points. It gives you quite a def buff ;)
raw
9 Nov 2013, 14:14 PM

Health and armor-wise they are identical. The P4 command tank is faster, but it's gun is significantly inferior to that of the standard P4 vs armor. It's mediocre against infantry, somewhat better than the normal P4, but not especially good (esp. compared to the Ostwind or KV8).

So you're paying more fuel and manpower for a 0.8 received damage modifier that only works on friendly territory and for much worse performance against vehicles than a normal P4 with a moderate anti-infantry buff.

I am fairly sure some developer here on the boards stated that those two tanks are actually identical stat-wise and just have different visuals, when this question popped up. But maybe this was in beta and in another universe.
9 Nov 2013, 16:16 PM

The Panzer IV C's gun is like the Stug III E, which is only marginally better than the P4. It also lacks the 'turret top gunner' of the P4 so they may even out as far as AI goes.

I think a buff to Tiger level AI is fair, so players could consider using it as a viable alternative to the Ostwind.
9 Nov 2013, 19:51 PM

I use/d (internet is currently a dropping machine so I'm off the COH 2 until I can fix it/move) the P-IV command tank quite a lot. Improves the survivability of all your existing tanks (and infantry, I think) and has pretty nice AI which is what you need if you're building up a P-IV armada. The AOE also means you can attack ground through obstacles fairly effectively with it.

Edit: I always feel like the Tiger's AI is worse than the P-IV command tank (fires slower I think) personally. Haven't checked the stats though.
9 Nov 2013, 19:57 PM

.80 is a pretty big defensive buff, especially when it's on every single unit you have, but it's very map dependent. Many situations arise where you can't get the buff when you need. Still think the money is better spent on a vanilla PIV.

What about giving it another ability that costs munitions to activate?
9 Nov 2013, 21:50 PM

The STUG III E / Panzer C do 80 damage per shot. Panzer IV does 160, Tiger does 160.

The L/24 stubby reloads ~1.5 to 2 seconds faster, though.

Tiger and Panzer IV C's scatter is ~ twice as good as the Panzer IV.
10 Nov 2013, 00:25 AM

The STUG III E / Panzer C do 80 damage per shot. Panzer IV does 160, Tiger does 160.

The L/24 stubby reloads ~1.5 to 2 seconds faster, though.

Tiger and Panzer IV C's scatter is ~ twice as good as the Panzer IV.

The other notable AI feature is that the AOE is also bigger on the P-IV command tank, and less of it falls under 'far AOE', so it tends to do more even damage within it.
10 Nov 2013, 15:50 PM

Permanently Banned
Try using it as a stopgap to skip T3, with PaK support.

Unfortunately it doesnt do much for the PaKs in terms of buffing them, but it atleast provides a solid AI to shield them from infantry while they do their work against armor.

Then when T4 armor arrives, it can continue in its AI support role, alongside buffing T4 armor in defensive engagements.
10 Nov 2013, 17:06 PM

strange. i love that tank. the defence boost is the shit.
10 Nov 2013, 17:29 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2013, 15:50 PMNullist
Try using it as a stopgap to skip T3, with PaK support.

I daresay at 4CP it comes way later than T3 in most games, or even T4.
10 Nov 2013, 22:34 PM

I daresay at 4CP it comes way later than T3 in most games, or even T4.

even if 4cps was early enough, i think its a bad idea. for 125, you can practically build t3 and a p4. it will also delay your t4 by a lot, since its 5 fuel short of the cost of a panther. on its own, a command tank is not worth the cost. its only worth it when it has a large numbers of units (especially vehicles) to provide the buff for.
10 Nov 2013, 23:58 PM

When you have it with fort armor, you get command tank plus ele together, and it is a really hard combo to beat. I nearly always use the command tank myself for the buffs, but it's offensive capabilities lack for the price.
8 Apr 2016, 00:23 AM

In the spirit of the latest necro-ing of threads:

Can anyone provide the aura bonuses that this tank provides for the rest of the units? plz?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 24
Netherlands 5
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak