Login

russian armor

German sniper survivability

26 Oct 2013, 23:32 PM

Wait a second...

I hardly ever see Soviet snipers, much less am I countersniped by one...
26 Oct 2013, 23:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2013, 20:35 PMMadok

Oh, he dies to rifles all right.
It's annoying if a sniper escapes a good flank. But you got to admit that in terms of pure small arms fire: Both sniper units have about the same survivability.

Personally I disliked the sniper centric play of CoH1. Intensely disliked it.
I was thrilled with the first tidbits that snipers would now only be able to cloak in cover.

However right now we have one faction with a frail but ever so slightly more efficient sniper and the other faction with a far more resilient sniper unit.
On top of the natural counter sniping risk to the OST sniper the abilities (natural and vet) of other SU units pose very real threats to the OST sniper (already covered in this tread).

All of this might not be an issue if you are a top player and have honed your sniper micro skills in countless hours of vCoH...

For most mediocre players this is a problem.
I like the current asymmetry but a slight buff towards AOE durability could be a way to make the OST sniper more appealing to non pro players.

Escapes ambushes too...maybe it's just bad luck,but if my opponent has a Sniper I chase him with Conscripts on the whole f*****g map...only effective way to kill him is to wait for him behind a wall,corner(Mafia style) etc....Which rarely happens
Or lucky random shots from mortars,SU 85,ZiS guns or other units that aren't meant to counter him in the first place...
27 Oct 2013, 00:00 AM

Or lucky random shots from mortars,SU 85,ZiS guns or other units that aren't meant to counter him in the first place...

And that's what we're trying to fix.
27 Oct 2013, 10:09 AM

Escapes ambushes too...maybe it's just bad luck,but if my opponent has a Sniper I chase him with Conscripts on the whole f*****g map...only effective way to kill him is to wait for him behind a wall,corner(Mafia style) etc....Which rarely happens

The 80hp 1 Armor change would also help to fix the luck/bad luck component of the infantryresilence.
27 Oct 2013, 10:36 AM

The 80hp 1 Armor change would also help to fix the luck/bad luck component of the infantryresilence.

That will be a dream come true,every time I chase a Sniper that is two feet away from my infantry that awesome Benny Hill music comes to mind :)
27 Oct 2013, 10:44 AM

I don't know how to fix it, but having your sniper counter-sniped by AT gun's, killed by infantry from range and all sort of weird and unexpected ways, most of you guys seen them die in (goes for both snipers, more so German tho)

And then other times it will kill 2-3 inf models from close range, retreat through them run past shooting tanks and falling arty/rockets and still get home safe.

That just isn't right and its plain and simple annoying....
27 Oct 2013, 15:24 PM

I don't know how to fix it, but having your sniper counter-sniped by AT gun's, killed by infantry from range and all sort of weird and unexpected ways, most of you guys seen them die in (goes for both snipers, more so German tho)

These freak RNG events should generally be extremely rare (and not just for snipers). Being an 1 entity unit the OST sniper is, as you stated, hit the worst by these.

The only solution I can think of would be to bring back the target tables - which is not going to happen.

And then other times it will kill 2-3 inf models from close range, retreat through them run past shooting tanks and falling arty/rockets and still get home safe.
That just isn't right and its plain and simple annoying....

That will be a dream come true,every time I chase a Sniper that is two feet away from my infantry that awesome Benny Hill music comes to mind :)

An increase of HP and a reduction of armor for the OST sniper (as proposed) won't make him die faster to small arms fire. Overall survivability should stay the same.
So instead of sometimes seeming impervious to small arms fire (if RNG wills it) you should see him loose HP consistently ...

... before he makes it back to his base with that last sliver of his health bar :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★