Login

russian armor

1v1 SU getting wrecked in early game - tips?

4 Sep 2018, 03:18 AM

Bit of background: I played a decent amount of 1v1 automatch in COH1 with all the factions and was decently ranked with them, I decided to try to get back into competitive 1v1 with COH2.

So far I have only played the SU to get used to the factions and the matchups, I will be trying Ostheer next after a few more games.

Below are two replays where I was beaten within the first 10 minutes of the game against an aggressive opening from both the OKW and Ostheer players.

In the OKW game, I remember everything was happening so fast that before I knew it I lost all my territory and was trying to deal with 2 luchs with no real answer. I opened with the penal -> clowncar -> penal -> penal -> penal start and was able to push off the volks in a few fights but was so far behind in my fuel and tech that I had no response to his Luchs. I kept getting out microed in each fight and lost so many squads that the game was over even before the luchs came into the picture.

The Ostheer game was much worse -> I was completely outplayed at every fight and out capped. It all just happened so fast and I was constantly against the wall reinforcing and retreating squads.

I haven't figured out the mindset with the soviets - I thought it was similar to vCOH US where you deny as much fuel to Wehrmacht as possible and should be holding more territory than them in the early game, but that hasn't been my experience with the SU -> I'm almost always on the back pedal trying to hold my fuel against an aggressive axis opening. Any tips on what I could have done better?

Thanks for all the help!
18 Sep 2018, 17:43 PM

Just get alot of Penals + Guards and that way you can get into top 100.
19 Sep 2018, 00:17 AM

4 penals is a bit much and not super flexible IMO - maybe try 3 and a sniper if you think you will be able to micro it. Then getting a guards squad to counter luchs might be a good idea. Conscripts backed up by maxims and at guns is also pretty decent and they’re much cheaper to reinforce.
19 Sep 2018, 14:52 PM

Static weapon play is not that great for SU right now. You want what people are suggesting.

2 Engineers w/ Flamers

2-3 Penals

Con to merge Engineers to flame on...

Or go 2 engineers and 3-4 Cons =)

I personally like the 3-4 con spam w/ double engineers. Try not to take on engagements you can't outnumber someone in w/ Cons. Penals can take on most squads 1v1...

If I go support weapons, I usually get wrecked, the maxim just isn't good at suppressing riflenades grenadiers and you'll just get flanked as the Ost strat is 1 MG and 4 grens. Don't believe me, go look at the GCS tournament where we saw 4 grens every game! :D
20 Sep 2018, 09:44 AM

Hi man.

Great to see that new players still find their way to this game :D

Have you read through the guides on this forum? I authored a guide earlier this year with the specific general focus on helping new and "lower-tiered" players improve.

https://www.coh2.org/guides/70864/from-recruit-to-veteran

Feel free to ask any questions about this quite or other specifics and clarifications :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★