Login

russian armor

Spotting Scope on Elephants

13 Sep 2013, 19:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge

What do people think about spotting scopes?

3CP – Spotting Scope

All tanks can now be upgraded with spotting scopes. When stationary, the line of sight of the unit will be greatly increased.

I am mainly a 2vs2 player where in almost all games around the 20 minute mark one of the german players will get an elephant. If you combine it with a spotting scope you will never need a recon run again, because the elephant will permanently uncover the FOW deep into enemy territory.

I feel that this is a bit unfair. Actually i have a similar feeling about SU-85s spotting for themself.
13 Sep 2013, 19:51 PM

The Elephant+Scope combo is too good yes, the range of view is insane.
13 Sep 2013, 20:37 PM
Donator 22

I think it's fine for a "commander ability" and it depends on which position do you place the elephant, to get a nice view ;)
Apart from that, there can be some barriers: buildings,trees,wrecks etc.
13 Sep 2013, 21:00 PM

Spotting scope+cone sight=maphack, I found that and always use that since beta
13 Sep 2013, 21:11 PM

Elefant with focused sight has very long LoS (biggest for germans) Scout Car is second unit with biggest LoS (and it's 360 degree LoS) rest tanks have normal LoS. So first of all, Elefant must have it and Scout Car, for other units it's not necessary. Some time ago before my ban i used to play Jaeger armor Doc (with Elefant and Spotting Scope) and it was Heilarious how my opponents never knew where and when stuka bomb killed 90% of him army in his base
13 Sep 2013, 21:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

The scope itself is fine, you have to stand still to use it. It's more of a prob with the elephant. I think its on the wrong doctrine.
13 Sep 2013, 21:43 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Yeah, i explicitely mean the elephant+scope combination, not the scope in general.
13 Sep 2013, 22:29 PM

this skill wouldnt make me want to take the default elephant doctrine over fortified armor.

munition cost may be a bit high for a limited use ability on anything other than a elefant, especially on a blizzard map
14 Sep 2013, 01:43 AM

Well.... can the Elephant even use his full shooting range without SpottingScope? Generally i don't think Spottingscope + elephant is op because he is so expensiv slow (without turret), does nothing against infantry and loses the bonus sight while moving (or rotating).

Aaaand: The Elephant + SpottingScope doesn't have Smoke. And Button is reaaaaly good against elephants.

The other possiblitly for a Spottingscope is on the Scoutcars, but I think Su85s can still se further and kill them without warning, some for at guns with spotters. +needs to be stationary. Also most of the time there are sightblockers. And 30ammo is quite a bit.
14 Sep 2013, 03:48 AM

this ability is great when working properly. unfortunately i rarely have it work well for me. every time a conscript walks within 100m of my elefant it decides to turn which disables the spotting scope. the only way to stop it from doing this is to attack ground which means youve exposed your position and now have to wait for the 8.55 second reload. if they add a hold fire or hold position button, maybe this ability needs to be looked at. currently it only works well maybe 50% of the time.
14 Sep 2013, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2013, 03:48 AMwooof
this ability is great when working properly. unfortunately i rarely have it work well for me. every time a conscript walks within 100m of my elefant it decides to turn which disables the spotting scope. the only way to stop it from doing this is to attack ground which means youve exposed your position and now have to wait for the 8.55 second reload. if they add a hold fire or hold position button, maybe this ability needs to be looked at. currently it only works well maybe 50% of the time.

It's so very amusing listening to Wooof on team speak as his elegant does slow motion pirouettes; stays amusing when we lose cause of it because he rages a bit extra!
14 Sep 2013, 04:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2013, 03:53 AMEndeav

It's so very amusing listening to Wooof on team speak as his elegant does slow motion pirouettes; stays amusing when we lose cause of it because he rages a bit extra!

he also bring up a problem is some time we want to have some troops to ignore infantry such as german AT with camouflage or pgren with rocket and have camouflage or elefant, some times i wish snipers to ignore vehicles, also some target priority problem like my ostwind seems like to target HMG team instead of a AT gun, or try to shoot a tank it can't do damage to instead of infantry or weapon team around that tank
14 Sep 2013, 06:36 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Well.... can the Elephant even use his full shooting range without SpottingScope? Generally i don't think Spottingscope + elephant is op because he is so expensiv slow (without turret), does nothing against infantry and loses the bonus sight while moving (or rotating).

The problem is not only the elephant+scope alone, but the increased view can be used by anything. If you use it for example in the center of Minsk, or Moscow outskirts (talking about 2vs2 here), you will uncover the whole middle. From that point you'll constantly face mortar incendary shells, arty, etc. on your units. And also all tanks arround can use their max range.

But wooof has a point. The turning when shooting at infantry is sometimes making this quite a micro hassle. On some maps, like Minsk and Moscow however this was less a problem, cause there is always something in sight range you want to shoot at, due to the large area you uncover in the center area of the map.
14 Sep 2013, 07:01 AM

Elefant has awesome range,but with the scope....that's a little exagerrated ?:)
14 Sep 2013, 11:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i won't accept personal insults in my topic :P Argue with facts please!

some post invisibled
14 Sep 2013, 11:16 AM

Permanently Banned
i won't accept personal insults in my topic :P Argue with facts please!

some post invisibled

Excellent choice. Much appreciated.
14 Sep 2013, 11:33 AM

What do people think about spotting scopes?

I am mainly a 2vs2 player where in almost all games around the 20 minute mark one of the german players will get an elephant. If you combine it with a spotting scope you will never need a recon run again, because the elephant will permanently uncover the FOW deep into enemy territory.

I feel that this is a bit unfair. Actually i have a similar feeling about SU-85s spotting for themself.

I think it's fair because of the current SU-85 situation where the Elefant is the only hard counter if the enemy has many SU-85 and is covering his flanks.

Sure, the combo is good but try to remember how much effort is required to field an Elephant compared to a SU-85.
14 Sep 2013, 13:40 PM

"Elefant by 20 minutes"...? Is this a "fact"? Is there a replay where I can see this being effective?

That would mean that one of the Ostheer players has hardly used any fuel. What are you doing in those 20 minutes?
14 Sep 2013, 14:00 PM

They are working fine and don't class them as unbalanced unless equipped on Elephant.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 44
Poland 10
United States 6
Germany 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %