Login

russian armor

Suppression Bulletin - It's fun, really.

24 Aug 2013, 04:34 AM

Unlike the damage increase and health increase, which are for fun fun only (I'll explain this later), the suppression bulletin makes MG42 from a beast to a monster.
Though it's only a 10% increase, which seems little, with it, the MG42 pins conscripts at long range from 3 - 5 bursts to 2 bursts and always suppresses with one burst.
This boost creates great balance change in early game - basically, the conscripts can walk pass some edges of fire cone at long range, but the bulletin makes it impossible.
When pinned by 3 - 5 bursts, the conscript has a great chance to crawl out of line of sight after suppressed, but 2 bursts - drop your weapons and hands on head!
Green covers become less helpful as MG42 can suppress with 2 bursts and pin with 3 bursts.
The increase of suppress time after out of fire is also a pain for conscripts, when washed by 3 bursts from buffs MG42, it's no longer possible for them to get up before driven to base.
To make things more interesting, eventually one burst can directly pin the conscripts if supported by other small arms. I saw this several time.

I don't think such a buff, which totally changes the balance of MG42 and troops, was intended.

Some explain on damage bulletin and health bulletin.
One shot from grenadier K98 takes 20 health, a conscript has 80 health, so 4 shots to kill. With 5% damage buff, a bullet takes 21 health, still 4 shots to kill. Is it fun :)
The same, with 3% health buff, conscript has less than 83 health - wow 4 shots from K98 takes only 80, so he can take one more shot, right? Nay! Units die at 10% health in CoH. As 3 / 83 < 10%, conscript dies with 3 health left :) And if it buffs conscript from taking 4 shots to 5 shots to kill, which means a 25% buff on survivability, don't you think it will overpowering?
In most situations, exception can be veteran shoots veteran, succession of reflection etc, damage bulletin and health bulletin make no change.

:) have a nice day by switching damage/health bulletin with suppression, guys.
24 Aug 2013, 12:33 PM

Why would I use the suppression bulletin if it didn´t allow me to pin hostile troops faster? Without bulletin the MG42 suppresses with two bursts and pins with three bursts. With the bulletin it does that in one and two bursts respectively.

So if the bulletin was made weaker it would still suppress/pin like the regular unbuffed MG42 (2-3 bursts). So why in gods name would anybody use such a useless bulletin?

If the MG42 itself was made weaker, everybody would be forced to take the bulletin to keep it at regular performance.

I agree that the MG42 is to strong atm but I think there are other ways to balance it. If the 42 gets nerfed to hard again then the fewer Germans get overrun by conscripts.

Edit: Considering the +4% damage increase on Grenadiers: It pays off if you intend to spam the Grenadiers´ MG42. This enables them to kill clown cars faster and also dish out significantly more damage. On regular Grenadiers it´s only good to negate the buffs of your opponent to infantry. However in 200 games I killed ONE heavy tank with Panzerfaust, you need FIVE to unlock the bulletin. I don´t know how so many players have unlocked it. Nobody builds IS-2s and the KV-8 is out of question to be attacked by Panzerfausts.
24 Aug 2013, 13:41 PM

not really the bulletin buff could increase its efectiveness at long range while being more or less the same at close range. right now its ludicrous, compared to aplying the bulletin to the maxim, i have picked both maxim bulletins that should increase the suppretion up to 17% and it still does not compare to german mg.
24 Aug 2013, 13:51 PM

Permanently Banned
I don´t know how so many players have unlocked it. Nobody builds IS-2s and the KV-8 is out of question to be attacked by Panzerfausts.

They farm it in 1v1 vs friends.

Sad. But true.
24 Aug 2013, 15:32 PM

Well, that is one of the reasons bulletins are bad: You either farm them or it is really down to a lot of luck. Plus this is a perfect exampl how this can unbalance the game: one faction has to repeat something very unlikely 5 times and the other faction can just start a bot game and run in circles to get theirs... or just play until you used Ooorah enough times, you basically get it automatically. So unless you farm it, the other faction can have a noticeable edge.

Best way imo to get the +4% damage bulletin (kinda mandatory to negate conscripts health increase) is to do a 1v1 GerVSGer with a friend and suicide Pschreck PGrens until you have 4 or 5 on your Grenadier squads. Then send in Elefants (don't deal much infantry damage) and make them attack ground so your buddy can kill them...
you can also save a game just before you destroy one, then load this up 4 times. Though I think only single player matches may be saved... not sure.
24 Aug 2013, 17:12 PM
Donator 11

you are right about the suppressionbulletin, but completely wrong about the others:

http://www.coh2.org/topic/5229/guide-on-impact-of-bulletins

enjoy!
24 Aug 2013, 18:53 PM

Suppression Bulletin should be removed.

Simply put, if it didn't pin in a single burst, it'd useless because you pin in two bursts anyways most of the time.

Kept as it is, it's ludicrously overpowered. It can't be reasonably balanced.
24 Aug 2013, 20:14 PM

Suppression Bulletin should be removed.

Simply put, if it didn't pin in a single burst, it'd useless because you pin in two bursts anyways most of the time.

Kept as it is, it's ludicrously overpowered. It can't be reasonably balanced.

all bulletins*
24 Aug 2013, 20:21 PM

all bulletins*

Definitely not. Bulletins are fine as a concept but they are either not useful at all, are OP or everyone has them so they negates each other.
24 Aug 2013, 20:26 PM

I sometimes think that suppression resistance/recovery from CoH1 should be implemented again. Different infantry types could take different amounts of suppression and recovered at differing speeds from it (compare coh-stats).
Currently, all infantry no matter their armor or veterancy can take the same amount of suppression and recover from it at the same rate.
At least it looks like that both from game experience as well as the stats I found. Unless armor has some hidden effect on it that I do not know of, but I don't think so. Though this might unbalance other factors and Shocks already have smoke grenades... but at least veteran units should probably be tougher to suppress.

Then there could be a suppression resistance/recovery bulletin that would allow your infantry to maybe take one burst more to negate this bulleting or, if the German player does not use the suppression bulletin, to go from suppressed to pinned in one burst more (easier frontal assault with multiple squads, allows for longer time to molotov) and to recover from suppression quicker once the mg switches targets (allowing for additional molotov/gunfire if the German player is shooting something else or allowing for a flank if the German player switched positions).
25 Aug 2013, 04:54 AM

If the suppression bulletin won't decrease the required bursts to pin, it will still provide a high impact on the recovery time.

For example, if MG shoots 1 seconds, the troops will be suppressed by 1.5 seconds, the squad will be pinned by 6 seconds if mg shoots 4 seconds - 2 seconds after shoot stops.
With bulletin, it will become 6.6 seconds - 2.6 seconds after shoot stops, which means like 30% more time for suppression after shoot stops.
It still buys great time for the mg to reposition itself.
25 Aug 2013, 04:57 AM

you are right about the suppressionbulletin, but completely wrong about the others:

http://www.coh2.org/topic/5229/guide-on-impact-of-bulletins

enjoy!

I think the troops die if health is less than 10% just like coh1, or the impact of 25% survivability increase on conscripts will be easily noticed.
Currently, nobody says conscripts vs grens are OP.
25 Aug 2013, 07:40 AM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2013, 13:51 PMNullist

Sad. But true.

not sure but this is allowed ? o0
25 Aug 2013, 07:54 AM

Even the campaign gives bulletin progress (as the soviets), why on earth wouldn't it be "allowed" to play with a friend and unlock stuff like that.
25 Aug 2013, 08:16 AM

Permanently Banned

Ofc it is. Many bulletins are a practical impossibility to get in ladder play.
26 Aug 2013, 01:28 AM

the mg42 suppresses squads with only one burst, with the bulletin it suppresses and pins in one burst. i don't know where you get the idea that it suppresses in two.
26 Aug 2013, 05:39 AM

It depends on range, one burst - short and middle, two burst - long.
26 Aug 2013, 20:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2013, 13:51 PMNullist

Sad. But true.

bulletins existing in the game is sad, but true
raw
26 Aug 2013, 21:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2013, 20:21 PMPapinak

Definitely not. Bulletins are fine as a concept but they are either not useful at all, are OP or everyone has them so they negates each other.

So, they're all bad, always? But why keep them then?

Edit: I want COHO's customization back. :(
26 Aug 2013, 21:54 PM

I am not saying they are all bad. The idea behind them IMHO is that they should lead you to our own playstyle with units you like and that idea is good. I havent play COH online so I cant compare how it worked there.
My problem with bulletins is that if I can see bulletins my opponent has during the loading screen I can assume he will make unit A or B most likely and this is stupid. So nearly everyone use gren/cons buffs cuz this unit will hit the field in 99% of games and also wins in these early skirmishes can win you the game.
To put it short: Bulletins need REDO but the concept of customizing army and playstyle should stay.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★