Login

russian armor

What should I have done ? 1v1

23 Aug 2013, 03:22 AM
Donator 11

23 Aug 2013, 10:10 AM

I've watched the first 15 minutes of this replay and to me it seems you were a bit too careless with your initial infantry, at one point you lost 10+ men when you tried to get to that Halftrack and blindly ran through German defenses, which tilted the odds towards the enemy. I wonder why it took you two attempts, from my point of view (was watching the Germans) you could've destroyed it the first time around. Also, I would've gone for more T70s instead of building that T34, since you were facing 3 Grenadiers squads and 2 MG nests.

Also I wouldn't have gone for those two mortars, but that's a preference I suppose (if I use mortars, I tend to go exclusively for the heavy ones.)

Obviously it's easy to watch a replay and say what should've been done, I know it's a lot harder to read the enemy during the game.

24 Aug 2013, 04:16 AM

Hello Zero, you are pretty good (better than me) but see my advice:

Early in the game you send 2 or 3 squads to the cuttoff point. The first squad was a good move, but you kept sending conscripts. These unsupported units continually got chewed up by the 3 or 4 enemy squads massed at that point. Attacking a well defended position continually will lose your manpower with little gain.

You got two mortars early which didn't seem to do much for you in the game. I think this is because both you and your opponent had a mobile army. Mortars are much better against static players.

What would have been a really good thing to get around the early middle part of the game would be some machine guns. The player's trump card at that point was massed infantry which pretty-much wondered the map unchecked.

Personally, I think shock troops are far too expensive to get en-masse like you were doing in the mid game. Their short range and prohibitive cost makes them a poor choice for massed infantry fighting. They are much better going off on their own capping a side of the map as they prettymuch require a tank to stop them.

Your first armored vehicles (the first t34 and the first t70) went in unsupported. You should feel unsafe when you have tanks so close to your enemy's base with no friendly units nearby. If you can use the T70 to attack where your opponent is unprepared for them and quickly retreat when the damage is done, you will cause a lot more chaos than by giving your tank to your opponent in a straight fight.

I understand why you got an IS-2 when you did. Your opponent was so far ahead at that point there was not much else that could be used to try and break him. In the end he used all his manpower and fuel, in the form of mass panzer 4s, to overwhelm you. I am pretty sure there was nothing you could have done at that point because you were too far behind.

Other than all that, your initial opening is very good and you have it thought out well. You were able to capture your side of the map and threaten his. It all started going down hill when you found yourself unable to fight him. Thanks for showing the replay and exposing your faults so we all can learn from them. Only really thoughtful players are willing to do that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 25
unknown 4
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak