Login

russian armor

Update the game

24 Aug 2017, 20:46 PM

Hi all,
Does anyone know how to update COH2 to the latest version on MAC? It seems the COH2 game I installed on my Mac has the version of western army release.
24 Aug 2017, 21:33 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Offensive post invised,
@Original Post, i have no clue srry :/
24 Aug 2017, 21:37 PM

Offensive post invised,
@Original Post, i have no clue srry :/

Making reference to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8MZGr5YQ1Y

Is offensive?

I keep forgetting this is Politically Correct 2017, excuse me.
24 Aug 2017, 21:37 PM
Donator 11

The game auto updates on all steam platforms. The problem might be that unix/linux/mac/steamos version is always coming out much, much later. Windows version already had brits when there was still only two factions for linux.
24 Aug 2017, 21:40 PM

Can linux and windows players play together?
24 Aug 2017, 21:44 PM
Donator 11

Can linux and windows players play together?

No. Due to differences in time libraries a match between linux and windows would always end up with sync error (or at least that is what studio that ported the game said). On the other hand, apart from windows, all other OSes can play together. That is why two separate automatch queues are kept online - one for windows and the other (mostly empty) for everybody else.

On the bright side - the linux version I happened to test was running significantly faster than windows version on the same PC. This may mean that they also optimised the game during porting, that the system is more lightweight, or both. Whatever it is, it effectively runs smoother and lets you go for higher settings.
25 Aug 2017, 16:51 PM

No. Due to differences in time libraries a match between linux and windows would always end up with sync error (or at least that is what studio that ported the game said). On the other hand, apart from windows, all other OSes can play together. That is why two separate automatch queues are kept online - one for windows and the other (mostly empty) for everybody else.

On the bright side - the linux version I happened to test was running significantly faster than windows version on the same PC. This may mean that they also optimised the game during porting, that the system is more lightweight, or both. Whatever it is, it effectively runs smoother and lets you go for higher settings.

Interesting! Does that mean that windows's utilization of the engine is poorer? I find this to be true with more games that release on linux and windows.
25 Aug 2017, 19:48 PM
Donator 11

Interesting! Does that mean that windows's utilization of the engine is poorer? I find this to be true with more games that release on linux and windows.

Its not exactly that the engine is utilised in a different way, more like the engine is not the same. When you write a game engine, most of the work is low level stuff - invoking system and graphical libraries. All this low level stuff has to be rewritten becouse the API is different. The most obvious and important difference is the graphical library - windows games usually use DirectX that is unavailable on other systems and thus has to be replaced with OpenGL. This is almost like writing the engine from scratch, but with one difference - when you do something the second time you learn from the mistakes and do it better. Additionally, IMHO, the linux API makes more sense, which helps in creating better solutions. They also didn't do it in a hurry like relic and that always makes a huge difference in coding - you simply have time to think of optimisations.

You also should keep in mind that everything is different between linux and windows. Nvidia makes separate drivers. Processes are scheduled in a different way. There is a different utilisation of memory and disk. Generally linux is more lightweight and doesn't spend its resources on so much user-independent stuff that slows the computer down.

All of these factors contribute to linux often being more performant than windows. But honestly I don't know which one contributes the most, that would need some really extensive testing (or googling :P)
25 Aug 2017, 20:38 PM

Its not exactly that the engine is utilised in a different way, more like the engine is not the same. When you write a game engine, most of the work is low level stuff - invoking system and graphical libraries. All this low level stuff has to be rewritten becouse the API is different. The most obvious and important difference is the graphical library - windows games usually use DirectX that is unavailable on other systems and thus has to be replaced with OpenGL. This is almost like writing the engine from scratch, but with one difference - when you do something the second time you learn from the mistakes and do it better. Additionally, IMHO, the linux API makes more sense, which helps in creating better solutions. They also didn't do it in a hurry like relic and that always makes a huge difference in coding - you simply have time to think of optimisations.

You also should keep in mind that everything is different between linux and windows. Nvidia makes separate drivers. Processes are scheduled in a different way. There is a different utilisation of memory and disk. Generally linux is more lightweight and doesn't spend its resources on so much user-independent stuff that slows the computer down.

All of these factors contribute to linux often being more performant than windows. But honestly I don't know which one contributes the most, that would need some really extensive testing (or googling :P)

Cool! Thanks for the explanation man! I never understood this completely!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★