Login

russian armor

What if the OKW and Wehrmacht tech systems were switched?

2 Mar 2017, 14:55 PM

So I had this idea for my mod a long time ago, about switching the OKW and Wehrmacht tech systems, and by that I mean giving concrete buildings to the OKW like in CoH since they're the late war German Army while giving the Truck system to the Wehrmacht, since they should be the early war aggressive Blitzkrieg Army, or at least that's what I think.

Since this is how I look at the 2 German Armies:

Wehrmacht, representing early war 1940-1943 German Army, meaning that it should be more mobile and aggressive, same Army that stormed through Europe and invaded the Soviet Union using Blitzkrieg tactics, has lower emphasis on defenses like it already is in game.

OKW, representing late war 1944-1945 German Army, slow, limited resources and manpower, technologically advanced, mostly on the defense with the occasional offensive like the Ardennes. Mostly uses concrete buildings and defenses.

So yeah, I just wanted to see what the people here think, that's all.

Cheers and have a nice day.
2 Mar 2017, 15:20 PM

Quite frankly I feel like OKW and Ostheer could get flat out merged into one faction and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The choice would be choosing army skin and voice actors.
2 Mar 2017, 16:04 PM

Quite frankly I feel like OKW and Ostheer could get flat out merged into one faction and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The choice would be choosing army skin and voice actors.

I suppose you could be right about that, however that's not what this topic is about.
2 Mar 2017, 16:23 PM

Alright. Just sayin' merging would probably be a better option than switching.

Or why not just switch the voice acting and skins from OKW to Ostheer? Rename volks to ostruppen?

What's the goal here? A German faction that's reflects a specific WW2 era of army composition? More balanced factions? Or are you really just looking at style and flavor?

Anyway, I think you might enjoy tinkering around with Mod Tools, or benefit sifting through the Workshop for people's tuning packs for alternative factions and armies.
2 Mar 2017, 16:40 PM

Who would pick the OKW PTSD wailers when the Wehrmacht voicelines are at the very least kinda funny?
2 Mar 2017, 16:53 PM

Alright. Just sayin' merging would probably be a better option than switching.

Or why not just switch the voice acting and skins from OKW to Ostheer? Rename volks to ostruppen?

What's the goal here? A German faction that's reflects a specific WW2 era of army composition? More balanced factions? Or are you really just looking at style and flavor?

Anyway, I think you might enjoy tinkering around with Mod Tools, or benefit sifting through the Workshop for people's tuning packs for alternative factions and armies.

Nah it's just an idea I had for one of my scrapped mods for the game, no particular reason outside of that and historical uhm, accuracy? The truck system is one of the reasons I enjoy OKW, so I'm fine with how things are.
2 Mar 2017, 18:07 PM

How about just switch their names instead?
2 Mar 2017, 18:12 PM
Donator 11

I think your understanding is wrong. The factions that were released together are most probably based on same part of war. So the ost faction is at least 1943 and probably 1944 (as they face t-34/85s). It is not the army that stormed through europe. Its the army trying desperately to hold their ground against soviets after kursk. Thats why they have good mgs and at guns.

On the other hand the okw faction is explicitely said to be based on operation in ardennes. So this is in fact the attacking one out of the two. Attacking with limited resources and forces, yet still trying to break through.
2 Mar 2017, 18:46 PM

I would also add historically once Manstein's and Armee group center's attack on Moscow had dissipated by early December 1941, the bulk of the German 9th Army withdrew to prepared defensive positions such as the Konigsberg line, and essentially stayed there/fell back for the rest of the war. Defense was the order of the day, with the exception of the failures that were Operation Blau and Citadel(Caucauses/Stalingrad + Kursk) Hitler was determined after Moscow not to cede an inch of Soviet territory (evidenced in ordering the 6th Armee to fight to the death rather than withdraw at Stalingrad for instance)

Whereas operations on the Western Front very much mirrored that which occurred in Sicily and around the Alps, "defense" was often carried out by localized or ad hoc Kampfgruppes which would attempt to counter attack quickly and immediately after losing a hardpoint such as a village, hill or crossroads, weary of the Allies entrenching themselves/forming bridgeheads inland.
2 Mar 2017, 22:44 PM

I think your understanding is wrong. The factions that were released together are most probably based on same part of war. So the ost faction is at least 1943 and probably 1944 (as they face t-34/85s). It is not the army that stormed through europe. Its the army trying desperately to hold their ground against soviets after kursk. Thats why they have good mgs and at guns.

On the other hand the okw faction is explicitely said to be based on operation in ardennes. So this is in fact the attacking one out of the two. Attacking with limited resources and forces, yet still trying to break through.

Mech Assault looks pretty Blitzkrieg to me.
3 Mar 2017, 02:30 AM

Changing the truck and building system between the two factions won't change how the armies play out (offensive/defensive). It's more because of their units synergy:

- Wehrmacht is more defensive cause their army centralizes around strong support weapons and units that effective when being static while their mobile infantry element is more of a support troops to support the support weapons (That's a lot of support :D).

- OKW is more mobile cause their support weapons are more lackluster when compared to Wehr's support weapons, while their mobile infantry/tank elements are way better and basically the backbone of the army, which overshadow their own support units.

Basically, Wehr' strength centralizes around support units, which makes them more defensive, while OKW' strength centralizes around their mainline infantry/mobile elements, which makes them more agressive/mobile. The truck/building system won't change how they're play out. The only thing would happen if the changes being executed is that it makes Wehr way much stronger (Flak HQ to help defend mass amount of support weapons and constant reinforement/healing to their support units on the frontline) while makes OKW way much weaker (Lack of good ground holding weaponry: Flak HQ, caches, good MG, etc.; makes them way harder at holding grounds against other aggressive factions)‎
nee
3 Mar 2017, 15:01 PM

Wehrmacht, representing early war 1940-1943 German Army, meaning that it should be more mobile and aggressive,

That's where you're wrong, mein Herr.

So wrong, I put you on sie List!
3 Mar 2017, 15:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2017, 15:01 PMnee

That's where you're wrong, mein Herr.

So wrong, I put you on sie List!

Hey, this is what I imagine how it should be, but as others have said I am wrong in this, but still, there are a lot of bizarre design choices that point towards the other way.
3 Mar 2017, 15:28 PM
Donator 11

Mech Assault looks pretty Blitzkrieg to me.

You can't change core design of a faction just becouse one doctrine doesn't fit so well into it. If you do, there are going to be many other odd looking doctrines. The fact is that core design of ostheer is defensive and that the case of mechanised assault is justified just becouse doctrines are ment to supplement and alter the army, so not all of them must exactly fit into core army design.
nee
3 Mar 2017, 16:34 PM

What also needs to be said is that the designs of these factions' tech aren't similar enough to just switch around; Ostheer has five tiers whereas OKW has four. So while you have to shove all of Ostheer's T1 into T0, you'd also have to figure out which of OKW's T0 units go into T1. And then have to come up with a unique T1 truck design.

At that point the effort and changes would be so singificant you might as well make it a separate third faction in its own right.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★