Login

russian armor

Cleaning Up the Map Pool (1v1)

22 Feb 2017, 16:00 PM

Edit: Added some maps

After looking at posts(a lot of them actually) that are based on having more map vetoes, I took a look at my own map veto list and I was frankly quite annoyed by the amount of vetoes we have. Rather, I prefer to look at the main problem, map design. So I took my time to look at each map and select the ones that are quite honestly bad and look at their problems. There are some maps that I didn't include but may still be bad for certain factions(OKW especially) as I think with some improvements(non-doctrinal smoke) or change in tactics may be needed:-

1. Road to Kharkov

-North Fuel is too easily rushed and garrisoned by early game units which can lead to some very frustrating effort to crack it. If you are not ready for it, it's pretty much game over as the opponent can get a substantial fuel lead over you and rush for LV to end the game right there. It's honestly quite retarded how every faction's cap order spawning North has to go secure the Fuel house first and look for any attempts to rush it.

2. Halbe

-Ah yes, where do I start, oh the MG spam. If you're going for this map just forget about CQC and go for MG's(sucks for you USF & OKW). Not to mention one MG42/Vickers can pretty much cover two capture points at the highway.

- The orientation of the map makes putting an MG there incredibly easy as they are virtually unflankable by anything. I suggest LOS blockers like bushes be placed beside the corners to prevent that from happening.

3. Market Ruins

- Honestly I don't even know where to begin, fuel too easily secured, too narrow, no room for flanking past 10 minutes. Too campy.

4. Crossing in the Woods

- Fuel rush is pretty much possible in this map. The fuel point across the river where you spawn is pretty much easy to secure and hard to cut off due to having to decap two points. I suggest just having a layout like Crossroads where a single point stretched like a line to cut off the opposite river side's fuel so it can be countered and promote flanking.

5. Bombarded Refinery

- Too much favouring CQC over anything else. Like holy hell is the map small. Brit mortar can pretty much cover your half of the entire map from the base sector it's hilarious(if you survive vs OKW).

-MG play is hard, the places where it's advantageous to put it are too easily smoked off and instantly flanked. The only region where MG play is somewhat viable is the southern part of the map.

5. All maps with summer and winter versions

- There is no reason we should have the same map but with a different colour palette(except Semiosky). Plus the snow only slows units down which need to be removed entirely.

- The only exception would be Semiosky Winter, where much more of the map is opened up due to ice. I suggest removing all Winter versions of the same map but leave Semiosky Winter and remove Semiosky Summer.
22 Feb 2017, 17:31 PM

4. Crossing in the Woods

- Fuel rush is pretty much possible in this map. The fuel point across the river where you spawn is pretty much easy to secure and hard to cut off due to having to decap two points. I suggest just having a layout like Crossroads where a single point stretched like a line to cut off the opposite river side's fuel so it can be countered and promote flanking.

The main issue of this map is the fact that it has 4 instead of 2 different spawn Points (2 on each side) I think someone (steffenbk?) alrdy made a thread about this long time ago.

You have an insane advantage if you get the spawn point which is closer to the middle VP, if your opponent doesnt

22 Feb 2017, 18:05 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

You forgot Lost Glider :snfQuinn:

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak