Login

russian armor

Glider Commandos

20 Jan 2017, 15:47 PM

I'll start by saying that the Commandos are already very good soldiers (and I'm not just saying that because I'm Northern Irish) and don't really needed buffed themselves.

One of the biggest gripes with the commandos at the moment happens to be something that has nothing to do with the squad's stats. It is in fact, the Horsa gilder they arrive in. The cost, at the moment, doesn't justify it's use-ability. For 500mp, one would expect something a wee bit more then a wooden tube. The common argument is to reduce the price to around 430 mp, and remove it's ability to reinforce. Which is fair enough, the reinforce only works in territory, so it's pretty useless to begin with. However, I feel that the glider should be changed to reflect it's current cost. Namely, to do the job of both Pathfinders (i.e. their beacons) and Paratroopers. Specifically, being able to reinforce commandos (and only commandos) in enemy territory. Would this be over-powered? Possibly, but it still is a wooden tube in the middle of a field.
Another common gripe with the glider is the fact that it defeats the purpose of the Commandos when it is called in. A quick look at the mini-map and the enemy knows exactly where it's landing, unlike the Paratroopers, which only leaves the enemy with a vague idea off where they landed. Which is a tad disappointing, especially since gilders are famous for their ability to land troops silently and effectively. For example, the gliders that landed the paratroopers who took Pegasus bridge landed only 42 metres from the bridge without alerting the sentries. Granted, it was 16 minutes past midnight. But I digress, while I feel that just removing the glider icon in flight might be a bit annoying for the enemy, especially since they'll have no indication a glider is coming down unless they hear it, I do feel it should be removed, but replaced by something else. Namely, a mini-map icon of a glider tug. The glider still does it's ritual dance in flight, with maybe it's recon or without it, and whooshing sounds, but minus the icon. However, when the glider is called in, an aircraft (represented by the icon of a single British bomber (a Halifax) fly's over the map instead, from the direction the glider will come from. That way, the enemy will know a glider has been called in (which could still be shot down) but they would have to look for it themselves rather then just watching the mini-map's icon. That way, the glider can still be spotted in the air, and is visually shown to have been called in, but there would have to be more attention involved in tracking it's landing.

These changes specifically refer to the Commando Insertion ability from the commando regiment, not the Infiltration commandos or the ones spawned from the Vanguard one.
The Commandos, as they are, are very good at what they do and what they are made to do. But many say that in order for them to perform at their best they need their special Bren gun(s). But in order for them to get said Brens, they have to get them from either a Forward Assembly or the HQ itself. At that point, they're not really infiltration units anymore. So, I would suggest allowing them to upgrade 1 (or 2) Bren guns, like paratroopers, behind the lines for the appropriate cost and upgrade time, so that they can continue to operate behind the lines for a longer period of time. Though, I'll admit that this may not be the best received change for them, in fact I almost oppose it.

Also, what about employing this strategy when using the gliders? I've never tested it myself (given how a recent Officer doctrine drop, so I use Vanguard), but I believe that the commander is best used when employing a much smaller scale version of the strategy of Operation Market Garden. Namely, the glider lands a bit behind the front lines, the commandos take and hold the point, while your main forces, coupled with the commanders other abilities, namely smoke raid and assault, push through the front line to link up with the glider. Of course, Market Garden failed, but a still think that my strategy (which I've christened Operation Raining Ulstermen) could work well. However, while Market Garden was A Bridge Too Far, Raining Ulstermen may be A Capture Point Too Far.

Opinions?
20 Jan 2017, 16:36 PM

Keep it's price but let it be repairable and both reinforce and produce new commandos in your own territory.

Other than that I see commandos being used less and less, people either go Vanguard (like me) or Mobile Assault for the Infiltration Commandos that don't come in your "wooden tube" as you said and don't cost as much for being basically more or less the same unit.
20 Jan 2017, 18:36 PM

Keep it's price but let it be repairable and both reinforce and produce new commandos in your own territory.

Other than that I see commandos being used less and less, people either go Vanguard (like me) or Mobile Assault for the Infiltration Commandos that don't come in your "wooden tube" as you said and don't cost as much for being basically more or less the same unit.

Pretty much this. A swap to Vanguard and Commando Regiment's glider CPs would also be a nice touch, considering how much better Vanguard's is while costing less CP.
20 Jan 2017, 18:59 PM

Depends on how much flavour you want for each doctrine.

Solution 1:
- Glider stays the sameish price, glider can build commandos

This is straightforward. In this case, Commando Glider becomes poor man's logistic glider

Solution 2:
- Glider becomes very cheap (~420-ish)
- Potentially reduce cooldown (currently it's at 4 minutes long, which is excessive)
- Glider can reinforce friendly troops even when cut-off

Solution 2 addresses the longstanding problem of Brits not being able to reinforce on the field, and allows this doctrine offer something unique. Since commando doctrine is an aggressive infantry-support oriented the doctrine, I think it fits the theme. And it's also more unique/aggressive oriented than the vanguard glider.

Let's face it, if you had Solution 1, you would never use the glider offensively, which is what the doctrine should be about.

Now you can use cheap-ish gliders to reinforce your on-field commandos, troops, etc
20 Jan 2017, 19:14 PM

Depends on how much flavour you want for each doctrine.

Solution 1:
- Glider stays the sameish price, glider can build commandos

This is straightforward. In this case, Commando Glider becomes poor man's logistic glider

Solution 2:
- Glider becomes very cheap (~420-ish)
- Potentially reduce cooldown (currently it's at 4 minutes long, which is excessive)
- Glider can reinforce friendly troops even when cut-off

Solution 2 addresses the longstanding problem of Brits not being able to reinforce on the field, and allows this doctrine offer something unique. Since commando doctrine is an aggressive infantry-support oriented the doctrine, I think it fits the theme. And it's also more unique/aggressive oriented than the vanguard glider.

Let's face it, if you had Solution 1, you would never use the glider offensively, which is what the doctrine should be about.

Now you can use cheap-ish gliders to reinforce your on-field commandos, troops, etc

I prefer solution 2 by far. Keeps the ability unique and keeps the commander on the offensive, and prevents this commander from just becoming a worse Vanguard one (which, one would argue, it's close to being). Good idea. Though the problem of its noticable landing still remains. Anyway, I request I saw a lot when doing research for this post was about giving the Glider a Bren rack (either single use or not). I vetoed it, saying allowing the commandos to upgrade it themselves would be better (and less likely to be nicked by the enemy). But would it work?
22 Jan 2017, 02:32 AM

I prefer solution 2 by far. Keeps the ability unique and keeps the commander on the offensive, and prevents this commander from just becoming a worse Vanguard one (which, one would argue, it's close to being). Good idea. Though the problem of its noticable landing still remains. Anyway, I request I saw a lot when doing research for this post was about giving the Glider a Bren rack (either single use or not). I vetoed it, saying allowing the commandos to upgrade it themselves would be better (and less likely to be nicked by the enemy). But would it work?

Also the landing takes so long that if a schwerer hq is set up the glider will die more often than not, or be severely damaged (more a problem for van ops commander), and even if it isn't set up, the okw base guns will deal significant damage to it as well. Maybe reduce the stupidly long amount of time it circles the battlefield? As to the part about Brens, I'd rather see some sort of upgrade that increases their short midrange dps, like thompsons or something, rather than brens, because that would keep them from becoming glorified infantry sections with camo past like 20 minutes. Thoughts on that?
22 Jan 2017, 09:10 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

I really enjoy using the Commando commander but the cost and the CP requirements are too much for the glider.
22 Jan 2017, 11:39 AM

Also the landing takes so long that if a schwerer hq is set up the glider will die more often than not, or be severely damaged (more a problem for van ops commander), and even if it isn't set up, the okw base guns will deal significant damage to it as well. Maybe reduce the stupidly long amount of time it circles the battlefield? As to the part about Brens, I'd rather see some sort of upgrade that increases their short midrange dps, like thompsons or something, rather than brens, because that would keep them from becoming glorified infantry sections with camo past like 20 minutes. Thoughts on that?

I like how it circles the battlefield, as it provides recon and gives a chance for it to be countered (unlike the paratroopers, who are invincible unless they land on a building on in the same field as a AA gun). I think my idea of removing it's icon and instead using the image of a glider tug would be better, because the main problem with it isn't really being shot down, it's that it's too easy for the enemy to pinpoint where it landed just by watching the mini-map.
When I first made this thread on steam, I suggested giving the Commandos a choice of 2 upgrades, based on stats they have on the stats website. First upgrade would be 2 Brens, because of how effective they are with them. Also, Commando sections historically had 4 Brens per section. I also suggested a second upgrade being 2 Delisle Carbines (stats exist), which would act almost like G43s, boosting mid to long range DPS. The stats website also makes mention of an 'assassination' ability tied to them.
I also suggested 4 Thompsons being an upgrade as well (again, stats exist) which would massively boost their short range damage, possibly turning them back into how the commandos performed initially, but at the cost of no longer being able to infiltrate. But I thought that would be too much of a no brainer.
22 Jan 2017, 18:15 PM

I like how it circles the battlefield, as it provides recon and gives a chance for it to be countered (unlike the paratroopers, who are invincible unless they land on a building on in the same field as a AA gun). I think my idea of removing it's icon and instead using the image of a glider tug would be better, because the main problem with it isn't really being shot down, it's that it's too easy for the enemy to pinpoint where it landed just by watching the mini-map.
When I first made this thread on steam, I suggested giving the Commandos a choice of 2 upgrades, based on stats they have on the stats website. First upgrade would be 2 Brens, because of how effective they are with them. Also, Commando sections historically had 4 Brens per section. I also suggested a second upgrade being 2 Delisle Carbines (stats exist), which would act almost like G43s, boosting mid to long range DPS. The stats website also makes mention of an 'assassination' ability tied to them.
I also suggested 4 Thompsons being an upgrade as well (again, stats exist) which would massively boost their short range damage, possibly turning them back into how the commandos performed initially, but at the cost of no longer being able to infiltrate. But I thought that would be too much of a no brainer.

The idea of delisle carbines (the .45 integrally suppressed carbine right?) actually sounds pretty cool, since it would allow them to be more unique and have less overlap with infantry sections. Do you know the actual dps statistics of the stems though? Because I think I saw the near dps as 16 but that's insane, I'm thinking that that might have been the pre-nerf stats.

Honestly, stens aren't that great, but I feel like the bigger problem is that their RA falls miles behind pretty much all other combat infantry after they get vet, since commandos get 0 bonuses to RA, so they just lose models really fast even when used correctly past like 15 minutes. I still do think they should have a weapon upgrade though. They're the only elite infantry with semi-undesirable weapons that can't upgrade a unit specific weapon (obers, paras, rangers, guards, stormtroopers, even pfus all can, falls and jlis start with very good weapons by default).
23 Jan 2017, 16:30 PM

The idea of delisle carbines (the .45 integrally suppressed carbine right?) actually sounds pretty cool, since it would allow them to be more unique and have less overlap with infantry sections. Do you know the actual dps statistics of the stems though? Because I think I saw the near dps as 16 but that's insane, I'm thinking that that might have been the pre-nerf stats.

Honestly, stens aren't that great, but I feel like the bigger problem is that their RA falls miles behind pretty much all other combat infantry after they get vet, since commandos get 0 bonuses to RA, so they just lose models really fast even when used correctly past like 15 minutes. I still do think they should have a weapon upgrade though. They're the only elite infantry with semi-undesirable weapons that can't upgrade a unit specific weapon (obers, paras, rangers, guards, stormtroopers, even pfus all can, falls and jlis start with very good weapons by default).

With the bonus on leaving camouflage, they are brutal : P
23 Jan 2017, 17:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 16:30 PMBlalord

With the bonus on leaving camouflage, they are brutal : P

whats the bonus?
23 Jan 2017, 17:24 PM

whats the bonus?

In the live version, the entire squad gains a 5-second sprint. The first guy that shoots also sometimes gets a +50% accuracy on his Sten gun forever (until he dies). No requirements for sprint. 10-secs out of combat for accuracy.

In WBP both bonuses apply to the entire squad, and only last 5 seconds. Though, now, they also require 25 secs out of combat.
23 Jan 2017, 17:33 PM

In the live version, the entire squad gains a 5-second sprint. The first guy that shoots also sometimes gets a +50% accuracy on his Sten gun forever (until he dies). No requirements for sprint. 10-secs out of combat for accuracy.

In WBP both bonuses apply to the entire squad, and only last 5 seconds. Though, now, they also require 25 secs out of combat.

if one commando entity does have the "+50% accuracy on his Sten gun forever", does it mean that next ambush an other can have this bonus too, etc ?
Is it only accuracy for sten gun as you said ?
23 Jan 2017, 17:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 17:33 PMBlalord

if one commando entity does have the "+50% accuracy on his Sten gun forever", does it mean that next ambush an other can have this bonus too, etc ?
Is it only accuracy for sten gun as you said ?

Yes, and yes. Though, if it's the same model that gets the +50% accuracy, the bonus doesn't stack with itself.

You don't need to worry about that though, since this is getting fixed in WBP.

In short:
- Live version: ambush is shit (not worth it)
- WBP ambush is very much worth it, but more difficult to pull off
24 Jan 2017, 01:56 AM

Wow, I didn't know that this was still bugged. In that case, stens are actually a lot better than I thought. Their damage seems really really inconsistent for some reason though. Anyone know how close the "near" distance is? Because they're supposed to deal 16 dps and sometimes it feels like that, but others it feels more like 8-9 (cons ppsh dps)
24 Jan 2017, 01:59 AM

Yes, and yes. Though, if it's the same model that gets the +50% accuracy, the bonus doesn't stack with itself.

You don't need to worry about that though, since this is getting fixed in WBP.

In short:
- Live version: ambush is shit (not worth it)
- WBP ambush is very much worth it, but more difficult to pull off

Doesn't it have a really long cooldown in the wbp though? Like 25 seconds or something?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 48
Germany 1054
Russian Federation 17
Netherlands 14
Netherlands 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L