Login

russian armor

Dear Relic, can I have a word please? (Russian history)

• This thread is locked
PAGES (16)down
28 Jul 2013, 03:51 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jul 2013, 03:48 AMCurity

Yes I WAS elected by a group of people to speak for them.
I'm the petition organizer here.

Do you wish to know something else?

the level of fail in your movement is hilarious imo anyways. that you think we should censor peoples opinions (or potentially facts) based on the fact that someone believes them not old enough to hold opinions... (its an M rated game) if a child is playing it then whose fault is that. not anyone's but the parents.
28 Jul 2013, 04:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jul 2013, 03:11 AMCurity

You can't deny something that's not proved yet, you see?
If there WAS a single documentary proof on such things like NKVD elimination teams directly behind the soviet forces, or soviets been burning civil buildings on retreat, there won't be any arguments.

Relics insist that's the story is authentic granting no proof. They don't even give away their true sources.

So all we do ask is either grant us the documentary proof on all the matters we're arguing about or make a 'fictional story disclaimer'. As we're aware that there is no proof to that we're cutting time to the disclaimer thing.

They don't need to prove anything. That's like asking George Lucas to prove that Hans Solo shot first, man. Its a work of fiction, meant for entertainment. It is inspired by real events, but at no point in the game (anywhere, afaik), do they state this is a documentary or do they try to "educate" the masses as to the accuracy of their story.

They said they were going for authenticity: The uniforms, the geography, the vehicles and other assets are supposed to look similar to what they looked back then.

Even games that try to be very historical accurate, such as the Total War series, sometimes walk off the path of historical accuracy for the sake of gameplay and/or entertainment. That's why you can deploy ninjas in a battlefield, or deploy Katana Samurai Heroes, etc.

It's a game, not a documentary.
28 Jul 2013, 04:46 AM

They don't need to prove anything. That's like asking George Lucas to prove that Hans Solo shot first, man. Its a work of fiction, meant for entertainment. It is inspired by real events, but at no point in the game (anywhere, afaik), do they state this is a documentary or do they try to "educate" the masses as to the accuracy of their story.

They said they were going for authenticity: The uniforms, the geography, the vehicles and other assets are supposed to look similar to what they looked back then.

Even games that try to be very historical accurate, such as the Total War series, sometimes walk off the path of historical accuracy for the sake of gameplay and/or entertainment. That's why you can deploy ninjas in a battlefield, or deploy Katana Samurai Heroes, etc.

It's a game, not a documentary.

How many times do I have to say that RELICS themselves are arguing about the plot being authentic? It's their position on the subject! It's Relics who call the game 'a history book', see?

If it wasn't that statement of Duffy ab/ game being all authentic, there won't be any argues at all!
28 Jul 2013, 04:48 AM

And if we're going to watch closely the uniforms and everything there's much to be argued about, too.
For example, we'd like to understand who told Relics about the Russian Liberation Army participating in the Stalingrad battle.
Or we could ask Relics about the 'Maxim' MGs (which weren't used 'en masse' like more modern MGs).
Or we could question the '1 rifle for three conscripts' thing.

And so on.
28 Jul 2013, 06:25 AM

There's little point in doing an educated discussion if you don't try to see both sides of the coin at least once. You keep insisting that they somehow libeled/insulted all countries from the former Soviet Union because their work is not an exact representation of what you have studied or been told.

They are being "authentic" to the setting, not to history itself. Authenticity is not realism, I was very careful in my choice of words, I said they made things look similar, but in no way are they doing exact replicas, even if they aspired to.

The setting is a base for inspiration and if Relic had chosen to have Drop Pods full of Space Marines/Blood Ravens rain down on the Ostheer, they damn well could have. Its called artistic freedom. They would've needed Games Workshop permission, which they likely wouldn't have given, due to the the setting, but it is possible.

This will probably be my last post on this thread, but I'll leave one last thing for naysayers of the topic at hand to reflect on:

Do you not think, for a second, that this game went through the proper channels of these countries prior to its sale and distribution? Do you think the equivalent of the Ministry of Culture, Education, Communication or whatever Office responsible for distribution of commercial software did not inspect, review and approve of the product and its contents?

Games in many countries (from the U.S. and Germany, to Australia) get censored or even banned for bad depiction of their culture or country, and if you are telling me former Soviet countries are very protective of their history and traditions, and they saw this product and approved it for distribution... well that tells me everything I need to know regarding the subject at hand.

28 Jul 2013, 09:43 AM

Games in many countries (from the U.S. and Germany, to Australia) get censored or even banned for bad depiction of their culture or country,

Germany doesnt ban / censor games for "deciption of their culture" but for displaying of violence or National Sozialistic Symbols.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Germany
28 Jul 2013, 09:47 AM

Germany doesnt ban / censor games for "deciption of their culture" but for displaying of violence or National Sozialistic Symbols.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Germany

They do ban such games. But they don't ban games about nazists - which is different, and separated by laws. Because Germany is not the same as faschists.
Soviet regime wasn't judged in any law after the war.
See the difference?
28 Jul 2013, 10:56 AM

Because they were exempted as they were a member of the Allies. The same way the Americans were absolved of the carpet bombing of Dresden and things like the Dachau massacre.
raw
28 Jul 2013, 11:13 AM

They do ban such games.

No, they don't. And it is very important to make that distinction. Censoring stuff for the "despiction of our culture" is something that is explicitely forbidden by law precisely because of their history. Suggesting that germany bans games or any other media for its depiction of german culture is treating on *very* rocky ground and unless you can back that up with peer-reviewed studies you are strongly advised and encouraged to stop posting.
28 Jul 2013, 12:29 PM

They do ban such games.

No they dont.
I even linked a list of banned games ...
28 Jul 2013, 13:49 PM

The primary requirement for German games is that they don't display Nazi iconography or glorify them. That simply means editing out some symbols.
28 Jul 2013, 14:09 PM

Fact is Western view about Russian and USSR can't be changed in one or two days. It'll surely take a very long time so just be patient, do what you can and look on the bright side of things.
28 Jul 2013, 17:40 PM
Patrion 26

Fact is Western view about Russian and USSR can't be changed in one or two days. It'll surely take a very long time so just be patient, do what you can and look on the bright side of things.

We got Putin , nothing to be worried about =)
28 Jul 2013, 17:53 PM
Patrion 14

Please for the love of all that is holy lock this thread. It's an embarrassment.

28 Jul 2013, 19:34 PM

You are brain washed by bad propaganda that's all
28 Jul 2013, 19:57 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jul 2013, 03:48 AMCurity
Yes I WAS elected by a group of people to speak for them.
I'm the petition organizer here.

Do you wish to know something else?

I've quoted your petition:

Dear Sir!
We (CIS-origined players) honestly believe in you as the one and only Valve Corp. leader, that's why this petition is started. There are some reasons for it which we're about to provide.

Most importantly, this game's plot involves the complex matter as the USSR history in the WW2. One does not simply get a random 'parahistory' book and write a story that sells in millions of copies. The way the game developers see the conflict is disgusting.
Here in CIS we do believe that WWII was won by the Allies, who do represent the best of human qualities like bravery, cunning, self-sacrificial courage and honesty. The game developers see the best of the USSR as an instantly evil thing. It's not like that at all.

Second reason is to protect the young people from that propaganda. Every person should think for itself, but it's difficult to do when you're a teenager. In the CIS countries you CAN buy a box game even if you DO NOT hit the necessary age. So the only way to solve a problem is through you.

And the last reason is to make the game developers listen to the voice of sanity. If you do accept our call, them Relics will think twice before releasing a game with THAT kind of plot.

Note: CIS refers to Commonwealth of Independent States.

Sincerely yours, CIS Steam users and their supporters.

If you're serious, you should consider getting that post edited by a native English speaker. It is hard to imagine anybody taking you seriously with lines like "One does not simply get a random 'parahistory' book and write a story that sells in millions of copies", which sounds like it belongs on a joke meme image, or "In the CIS countries you CAN buy a box game even if you DO NOT hit the necessary age", where you spam caps like a 12-yr old to denote emphasis. Sorry to be harsh. Personally, I think that asking Valve not so sell COH2 in Russia is an obscene request.
28 Jul 2013, 20:59 PM

ITT: Russians living up to stereotypes
28 Jul 2013, 21:07 PM

This thread really proves how fucking ignorant the Russians are of history. I suppose if you didn't learn it from your "Kremlin Approved" history books it must be a falsification done by the bias Western world to discredit the sacrifices of the "brave Russian people".

It's alright though. History has shown that the Soviet Union ended up being far worse than Nazi Germany and due to their rampant corruption they're now enjoying their near third world status under the control of yet another tyrant with Putin.

The misfortune of your corrupt country along with the pain the story of this video game brings you "people" is deeply amusing to me.
28 Jul 2013, 21:24 PM

I like how he says 'everyone should think for itself'[sic] while demanding Valve not sell this game in Russia and the CIS. And then on top of this he and the rest of the One Russia fanbois expect to be taken seriously by us.

This is why the rest of Europe and America look down their noses at the Russians.
28 Jul 2013, 21:30 PM

Who gives a shit what the Russians say anyway? The majority of them pirate their games instead of paying for them so trying to appease them is a waste of time and money.

Fuck em'
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 44
Russian Federation 37
South Africa 1
Germany 397
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias