Login

russian armor

Unranked automatch

23 Jul 2016, 19:32 PM

Why is the automatch so terrible for unranked players? I'm trying to get a basic level for a couple of the factions in 1v1 so I know where I stand, and I can at least get a fair game going when I want to try something new.

However, I'm consistently being matched against people who are rank <200? Why are these 10 automatch games so painful :(
23 Jul 2016, 19:44 PM

You were the atL guy with brits on Kholodny? Name sounds very similar.
23 Jul 2016, 19:48 PM

Because placement games(10 first games) put you against varied skill players to determine your own.

After 20 games in total, you'll be on your skill level.
23 Jul 2016, 20:06 PM

1v1 maybe, but in team games it's a lottery. The less you matched with decent enemies (or more with great mates) the higher your initial rank is. The higher it is - the better teammates you getting now. Better teammates - you rise among ladder. If you out of luck... well, turn the tables. It is what it is though.
23 Jul 2016, 20:09 PM

If he's who I think to be, his problem is that I won in under 14 min against him. OKW vs UKF.
Kholodny Ferma Summer
He put a vickers in the church and I avoided it, capped the whole map in the proccess. He got an AEC even tho I didn't even have any vehicles. The minor things that I wiped a sniper and MG team with JLI in under 5 secs is just plain RNG.
23 Jul 2016, 21:14 PM

Why is the automatch so terrible for unranked players? I'm trying to get a basic level for a couple of the factions in 1v1 so I know where I stand, and I can at least get a fair game going when I want to try something new.

However, I'm consistently being matched against people who are rank <200? Why are these 10 automatch games so painful :(

Unfortunately, the first 10 games of any faction are almost entirely 'random'; they are placement matches.

Essentially, the match-making (MM) has no idea what your skill level is with the specific faction, so it just picks anyone for you to play against. Now, it COULD start refining the MM after the first game (i.e. if you lose to a #50 player, only look for below 50 players), but apparently it just doesn't do that, probably because it's ignoring a tiny sample size to appear more fair.

Either way, just stick with it. A lot of people (myself included when WFA came out) do very poorly in their placement matches, especially in 1v1 (which seems to attract high level players). After your first 10 games, you'll get much better matches.

23 Jul 2016, 21:22 PM

Unfortunately, the first 10 games of any faction are almost entirely 'random'; they are placement matches.

Essentially, the match-making (MM) has no idea what your skill level is with the specific faction, so it just picks anyone for you to play against. Now, it COULD start refining the MM after the first game (i.e. if you lose to a #50 player, only look for below 50 players), but apparently it just doesn't do that, probably because it's ignoring a tiny sample size to appear more fair.

Either way, just stick with it. A lot of people (myself included when WFA came out) do very poorly in their placement matches, especially in 1v1 (which seems to attract high level players). After your first 10 games, you'll get much better matches.

I can be a true example of the bad MM. Got the UKF expansion, hopped into 1v1 with britz. 4th match I got matched against Jove.
23 Jul 2016, 21:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 21:22 PMDanyek

I can be a true example of the bad MM. Got the UKF expansion, hopped into 1v1 with britz. 4th match I got matched against Jove.

Same here. I went on a fairly long CoH2 break, came back, and MM decided to match me against top ~10 players for about 4-5 games in a row (PauL.a.D, HelpingHans, etc.). So not only was I very rusty and had my rank decayed to nothing, but it did this in 1v1 AND 2v2.

Eventually found my rank to be around 190-250, so those matches were very fun <444>_<444>
23 Jul 2016, 22:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 19:44 PMDanyek
You were the atL guy with brits on Kholodny? Name sounds very similar.

Yeah that was me, first Brits game ever which did not go so well :P
24 Jul 2016, 07:05 AM

Yeah that was me, first Brits game ever which did not go so well :P

Sorry to ruin your first game :D It was even my first 1v1 OKW game, but I don't know why the MM doesn't take into account ranks other than the ranks you have with the current faction. Anyway good luck next time fellow mate! ;)
24 Jul 2016, 08:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 19:48 PMKatitof
Because placement games(10 first games) put you against varied skill players to determine your own.

After 20 games in total, you'll be on your skill level.

+1

I don´t thought this moment will come, but I agree with Katitof. :hansWUT:
24 Jul 2016, 09:48 AM

+1

I don´t thought this moment will come, but I agree with Katitof. :hansWUT:

Don't worry, it's not an opinion. It's pretty much fact. ;)
24 Jul 2016, 10:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2016, 09:48 AMRappy

Don't worry, it's not an opinion. It's pretty much fact. ;)

But still, it wasn´t biased fact :D
24 Jul 2016, 15:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2016, 07:05 AMDanyek

Sorry to ruin your first game :D It was even my first 1v1 OKW game, but I don't know why the MM doesn't take into account ranks other than the ranks you have with the current faction. Anyway good luck next time fellow mate! ;)

Thanks! :P And yeah that's all I was wanting, for it to take into account other faction ranks when queueing! Like let's say jove had never played Brits - even if it's his first game as them, he still brings his micro skill to the game!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★