Login

russian armor

Veterancy compared to other games

11 Jul 2016, 19:21 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I have always found it weird how Company of Heroes 2 veterancy scales. As many of you all know units receive set buffs at certain levels. These buffs largely varied each unit. Some the units revive massive preformece changes when they hit a certain level.

For example: Obersoldaten
Vet 2: +40% accuracy, -25% weapon cooldown.

Vet 3 and 4: then they receive their survive-ability and other effects.

Obersoldaten receive all of their damage veterancy at once. In most other games, veterancy is gradual and each unit has the same veterancy. The end result is usually the same for each unit, large damage and health increase. I understand that one type of unit, like infantry and tanks, need different sets of veterancy in order to scale properly. What I do not understand is why is the end result not gradual? Lazy programming? Not wanting to type out all the additional small lines of code to make it more gradual?
11 Jul 2016, 19:27 PM

Balancing is easier and players notice the effect of veterancy immidiatly.
11 Jul 2016, 19:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Variety of reasons:
Variety itself, naturally.

Power spikes are also an intentional consideration (e.g. Conscript and Rifle received accuracy at vet 3). Some units are intended to be significantly better at a certain veterancy level.

Design may also have the developer(s) deem it necessary for the veterancy to compensate for the unit otherwise - such as, in other games, all units having the same veterancy ensures all the units' scaling is largely flat and more expensive units will therefore remain more powerful in a remotely even veterancy fight as the cost is the logical determining factor (baring the units' traits behind their proper management or the players' economical management determining how many units they'll have, of course). But in CoH2, say, Conscripts gain a bunch of received accuracy to keep them useful to its players rather than being rendered obsolete compared to all of the other factions' basic infantry who instead keep their basic infantry useful by investing resources into improving them.
11 Jul 2016, 20:55 PM

Like Vuther said, variety itself. I would like to go into the matter of incentive as well. Engineer units would be an example.

Most people don't see their engineer units to be decent at combat as frontline infantry, they are put into conflict for an incentive. In an engineer units' case, they're put into combat for the incentive of easier repairs in the late-games.
11 Jul 2016, 23:10 PM

I get where you're coming from but I think the current system is mostly good. By having distinct veterancy levels it makes it easier to quickly judge relative strength of units and assess your chances of winning an engagement. It's also much easier to represent visually; it wouldn't look so great if every unit had a second veterancy bar above it on the map.

As for the different vet bonuses on different units, I also like that feature, at least in theory. It enables deeper gameplay with some units scaling better than others, while assisting to tailor vet bonuses specifically to each unit.

The main area for improvement with the current system would be to add some kind of tooltip so the player can easily learn the benefits of vet on different units. Forcing players to search online and memorise stats is not good design.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 7
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment