Login

russian armor

T34/85 vs Tiger meta was the best

17 Apr 2016, 16:59 PM

This game was far more interesting back in the day when pretty much every game resulted in T34 swarms fighting multiple tigers and paks.It may not have been the most diverse gameplay but it was intense as hell. Surviving T34 rushes as wehrmacht was really hard to do but possible. The game was less mirrored back then too. (no luchs vs t70 etc)
17 Apr 2016, 17:03 PM
Donator 11

I agree, the game is sadly more and more mirrored with every patch and expansion.
17 Apr 2016, 17:39 PM

No, thanks. I like teching.
17 Apr 2016, 17:58 PM

No, thanks. I like teching.

tbh teching is a mere formality in coh2, it's there but it doesn't really promote decision making nor does it serve any other important purpose.
17 Apr 2016, 18:09 PM

The meta game is irrelevant. There's so much more to coh2 than following the meta game.

17 Apr 2016, 18:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2016, 17:58 PMGiaA

tbh teching is a mere formality in coh2, it's there but it doesn't really promote decision making nor does it serve any other important purpose.

This is the most incorrect thing I think I'll read today.

Teching dictates what units you can build and what you have available (I.e grenades). The timing you have those at has a huge impact on the game.

17 Apr 2016, 18:16 PM
Donator 22

good old days :foreveralone:

5+ cons opening rip :foreveralone:
17 Apr 2016, 18:18 PM

No thanks. Back in those days 75% of all units and commanders were useless. The game is a lot more varied and fun now.
17 Apr 2016, 18:24 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

the callin meta was not only one of the worst metas of all time, but one of the most prevalent negative issues with COH2 for the longest time until they FINALLY fixed it.

Soviets relying on callins because their stock tech options blew ass AND were unaccessible, on top of 99% of their doctrines being utterly worthless because callin spam docs were the only thing worth picking, vs grenspam make sure you plant a teller stall for Tiger pakwall. wooo. 85/10 would play again

This meta right now, if you cut out the brit bullshit like mattress and emplacements, is 1,000x better than that garbage meta. Ill take it a step further, 10,000x better than that trash meta.
17 Apr 2016, 18:27 PM

the callin meta was not only one of the worst metas of all time, but one of the most prevalent negative issues with COH2 for the longest time until they FINALLY fixed it.

Soviets relying on callins because their stock tech options blew ass AND were unaccessible, on top of 99% of their doctrines being utterly worthless because callin spam docs were the only thing worth picking, vs grenspam make sure you plant a teller stall for Tiger pakwall. wooo. 85/10 would play again

This meta right now, if you cut out the brit bullshit like mattress and emplacements, is 1,000x better than that garbage meta. Ill take it a step further, 10,000x better than that trash meta.

+1
17 Apr 2016, 18:28 PM
Donator 11

Its true that the gap between doctrines was bigger at the time but on the other hand it still exists and is pretty significant. So in fact before you had a choice between shock rifle and guards motor. Now the best choice is just shock rifle. The others are closer but still are worse in most cases. So its not really that much better.
17 Apr 2016, 18:30 PM

This is the most incorrect thing I think I'll read today.

Teching dictates what units you can build and what you have available (I.e grenades). The timing you have those at has a huge impact on the game.

Considering that it's the only way to spend fuel in the game except for a few minor exceptions (grenades being one of them) the timing really only depends on your fuel control rather than your decision making. Fuel control however solely depends on your map control because fuel caches are irrelevant in the current meta game. And apart from fuel caches there's no way to influence how much fuel control your mapcontrol grants you because the amount of ressources you get from each point doesnt vary as it did in coh1. So all teching does right now is giving a player with good mapcontrol an advantage which is something the call in meta didn't really change. Map control gave you a lead just like it currently does, maybe not to the same extent but it was certainly a major gameplay factor.

-> teching is pretty much superfluous
17 Apr 2016, 18:33 PM

Yes in theory it was boring and repetitive but the actual GAMEPLAY itself (gameplay as in troop movment, dynamics during the game, positioning etc) was just so much more engaging.

Edit: Also what difference does it make whether you get your units from obligatory tech buildings or from doctrines ?
17 Apr 2016, 18:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2016, 18:33 PMGiaA
Yes in theory it was boring and repetitive but the actual GAMEPLAY itself (gameplay as in troop movment, dynamics during the game, positioning etc) was just so much more engaging.

Was it though?

What I remember, playing mostly Soviets, was that playing against the PAK40 wall with the inevitable Tiger follow up was very stale and boring and victory was more often than not decided by who spawned where and on what map. Map with good lanes of fire for PAK40s? Germans win. Map with bad lanes of fire for PAK40s? Soviets win.
17 Apr 2016, 18:45 PM
Donator 11

Was it though?

What I remember, playing mostly Soviets, was that playing against the PAK40 wall with the inevitable Tiger follow up was very stale and boring and victory was more often than not decided by who spawned where and on what map. Map with good lanes of fire for PAK40s? Germans win. Map with bad lanes of fire for PAK40s? Soviets win.

Right now its more like: map with a lot of buildings for maxims? Soviets win. Map with a good lane for sniper? Ostheer wins. Just the matches are shorter and less intense becouse of that.
17 Apr 2016, 18:46 PM

Was it though?

Yes it was, the game during that time wasn't just a conistent flow of small to medium engagements like it is today. It had highs and lows, ranging from extremely intense tank battles to slow sort of "build up" phases.
The games I've seen from the ESL cups didn't have such a dynamic. There were small engagements all over the map throughout the entire game and at some point one player managed to get a small advantage and overcome his opponent.

Also the map issue is just as prevalent as it used to be.
17 Apr 2016, 19:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2016, 18:30 PMGiaA

Considering that it's the only way to spend fuel in the game except for a few minor exceptions (grenades being one of them) the timing really only depends on your fuel control rather than your decision making. Fuel control however solely depends on your map control because fuel caches are irrelevant in the current meta game. And apart from fuel caches there's no way to influence how much fuel control your mapcontrol grants you because the amount of ressources you get from each point doesnt vary as it did in coh1. So all teching does right now is giving a player with good mapcontrol an advantage which is something the call in meta didn't really change. Map control gave you a lead just like it currently does, maybe not to the same extent but it was certainly a major gameplay factor.

-> teching is pretty much superfluous

Except teching is not linear. (Except for poor Neo-Soviets, but even then there's still the matter of whether you invest in a heavy t3 or tech t4 quickly or use call ins)

What tech structures you choose to invest in is very important. Where you put your fuel is very important. An American who gets grenades and an ambulance before lieutenant or captain will have a very different 7 minute force composition, but a stronger early game.

17 Apr 2016, 19:06 PM

Except teching is not linear. (Except for poor Neo-Soviets, but even then there's still the matter of whether you invest in a heavy t3 or tech t4 quickly or use call ins)

What tech structures you choose to invest in is very important. Where you put your fuel is very important. An American who gets grenades and an ambulance before lieutenant or captain will have a very different 7 minute force composition, but a stronger early game.

He will also have lost the game at the 10 min mark which goes to show that even the very few options players have only exist on paper.
17 Apr 2016, 19:11 PM

Whilst the meta at the time I stopped playing, roughly the start of this year, was much more diverse, I did take guilty pleasure in spamming 85s and Cons vs OKW, shattering trucks for days with 120mms.

Toxic, but kind of entertaining to get that sudden rush on your opponent.

I do agree however the non-meta and more diverse play styles now are also fun.
17 Apr 2016, 19:23 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2016, 18:33 PMGiaA

Also what difference does it make whether you get your units from obligatory tech buildings or from doctrines ?

Isnt boring and repetitive something you dont want? o_O it was fun for like 10 games max. it RAPIDLY got to the point where winning just because I could stall behind some sandbags, build 120mm paintraininstawipe and guards, and then float MP so I can pop out the Red Banner flottila of t3485 reinforcements,(and if im winning, pop out a SECOND pair not much later.) got so utterly, utterly old.

Losing to it was the exact same way. Some of my most blood pressure inducing moments were playing that meta as Ostheer.

whats the difference?

Teching to T3/T4 as germans, or even LULZIER, :snfPeter::snfPeter::snfPeter::snfPeter::snfPeter: being resource penalty OKW vs guard motor soviet.....god bless the okw player.

; simply getting ONE tank was much more expensive than just stalling one SET of 85s, and as I said before in this post, by 22 mins if you didnt tech at all besides T1T2, meant another pair was coming, as they used to cost what 245 fuel a pair? Calling in your first set usually left you with 130-140, maybe less if you were struggling a bit. How was that fair at ALL when all ostheer had was like a stug or two(which went down nigh instantly to mark vehicle, old stug HP :snfPeter: :snfPeter::snfPeter:, and OKW had a panther/jp4?(which also got deleted by mark vehicle)

It goes against basic coh core(or what I think is coh core) which is do well in your engagements, take map control so you can tech and then build better stuff than your opponent can and win.

Not simply STALL and get better stuff than your opponent thats clearly outplaying and outteching you, and then win more often than not. Yes it was possible to punish a staller, but that still doesnt mean the meta wasnt ass.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★