Login

russian armor

Camoflauge tank hunters

24 Mar 2016, 23:37 PM

Recently played in a 2v2 as USF (allied with brits) against 2 okw. We were pushing them pretty far back with out infantry and early fuel advantage, but they held their own with their flak trak stopping any infantry assault and raketens stopping any vehicle. Brits and USF also don't have non-doctrinal long range artillery, so we couldn't dislodge them. We decided to hold and fortify, since we had 2 VPs, but eventually the OKW players kept pushing us back, even though we had amassed a pretty big defence.

What had happened was that one player got his king tiger (which we expected), but we couldnt kill it becuase our tanks kept getting insta-gibbed by the two jagdpanzers with camoflauge. AT guns didnt work because we couldnt see the tank killers until they fired, and when they did, it was already too late for our vehicles (which included a pershing, sherman, two comets, a firefly, and two jacksons, which are supposed to be tank killers ffs) even if an anti-tank gun did get it a good position, it would get destroyed by the king tiger and p4. Infantry with bazookas don't stand a chance either.

The main thorn in our side was the always-invisible tank killers that had basically no counter: even if they hit mines, theyd sneak away behind the king tiger and other tank killers. This just steamrolled us to being pushed back into our bases.

I told my brit friend to choose vanguard regiment for the hawker call-in (though he chose the anti-tank tommies commander instead), but in retrospect it wouldn't have worked due to the fact that playing against OKW means its a no-fly zone with their free AA from teching.

Flanking and using the allied armor mobility advantage was not an option either, becuase they had planted schu-mines everywhere. trying to sweep for them was impossible as well because the king tiger or the p4 would be near and fire, detonating the mine, killing the squad.

I know OKW is supposed to have late game advantages, but this just seemed ridiculous. I dont have a replay, which I know is kind of a sin when complaining, but in general, why the hell do tank killers get camoflauge to hide themselves from other tanks? And could anything have been done?
25 Mar 2016, 00:38 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Well we don't know what could be done because you don't have a replay: you're identifying the Jp4 and KT as the issues, but there's more to it than that, always is. Did you truly win the early engagements? Did you capitalize on that and close the game? Did you drain a lot of VPs?

I can tell you jp4 cloak is actually broken In a way. When they're invisible, nothing can damage them at all, even if you attack ground and hit it..

You CAN use any recon sweep to reveal the jp4...so it can be hit quickly, or avoided/ flanked.
A vet 0 major recon sweep for example will reveal it for about 4-5 seconds, enough time for an AT gun volley or two. At the higher vet, you get a second plane for maybee another volley as well.

IF you want to throw some $$$, you can buy calliope commander, use it's recon overwatch as well.

Being pre-set up with take aim helps alot doing this.
But really, that's about all I can tell you tip wise without a replay of the entire game.

Save the next one if you can.
25 Mar 2016, 17:14 PM

I can tell you jp4 cloak is actually broken In a way. When they're invisible, nothing can damage them at all, even if you attack ground and hit it..

Wait, really? Really!? Christ, how long has that bug been in the game? This explains quite a few things from some of my past games.
25 Mar 2016, 19:43 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Wait, really? Really!? Christ, how long has that bug been in the game? This explains quite a few things from some of my past games.

Since it came out at least :guyokay:
Kri
25 Mar 2016, 19:50 PM

Couldnt you uncloak the tank hunsters?
25 Mar 2016, 22:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 19:50 PMKri
Couldnt you uncloak the tank hunsters?

If you're referring to getting up close with infantry to see them, then yes, it technically was possible, but not feasible because as i mentioned the king tiger and p4 would tear up my infantry.

as for CookiezNcreem's advice, I didn't think about the major's recon sweep, though I probably wouldnt have been too useful considering there were two AA panzer HQs, and the time during which theyd be exposed would have been too short to take advantage of. i had my at guns set up, and was occasionally lucky to get to vet 1, but would usually get wiped by the KT, fallschirm, or the auto-lock double leigs that I could never manage to hit since, as I mentioned, neither USF nor brits have access to non-doctrinal long range artillery.

Thanks for your advice, though. Some of what went wrong was just letting these units survive, and that was on me, but what pissed me off the most was the fact that these JPIVs just couldnt be killed by any of my units because of their range and cloak.
25 Mar 2016, 23:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

If you're worried about AA shooting them down, the Mechanized and Recon company recon sweeps cannot be shot down at all. They're probably your best bet, but are in *arguably* questionable doctrines.

HOWEVER, If you have a Brit teammate though... Go for those docs. Might be just what you need.
25 Mar 2016, 23:14 PM

I just wish it would be like Hetzer Camo from COH1

Those who dont know, Hetzer had camo, which could be toggled only outside roads. Hetzer couldnt rotate in camo.
28 Mar 2016, 19:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2016, 23:14 PMl4hti
I just wish it would be like Hetzer Camo from COH1

Those who dont know, Hetzer had camo, which could be toggled only outside roads. Hetzer couldnt rotate in camo.

That's a good idea. Hell, I'd be fine with the actual hetzers getting the camo the JPIVs have now (since hetzers are currently very shitty), and just giving the tank hunters what you mentioned.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 52
unknown 7
Australia 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak