Login

russian armor

1v1 Against Ost Sniper

16 Mar 2016, 17:15 PM

Given I've been away for some time and there has been some changes how does one counter OST sniper mid to late game? Been playing against every OST player with them using sniper and had varying degrees of success flanking but with the new 222 buff, M20 has a very small window of opportunity. Tried Captain to counter but my opponents have the foresight to get a pak for Stuart. Admittedly I get frustrated to push OST back only for the sniper to pick off my men, poor fellows.

Any advice is appreciated.
16 Mar 2016, 19:56 PM

As soon as you see Sniper commit to a strategy of rapid upteching and relatively high center pressure with lights and weaker troops. Upgrade infantry with automatics and use them on the flanks.

Why pressure center more than usual? It's easier to flank a sniper in the middle by rotating high DPS squads into his retreat path while he is pressured by an M20 and cheaper troops, then it is to use riflemen center and flank with M20, because good players have mines and waiting Ostruppen/Grens.

In terms of teching:

Go LT, the LT himself plus M20 is all you should need to beat one sniper. (Along with 3 rifles.)

Captain tier is not designed to be effective against Snipers, but you can get lucky with the pack howitzer.

Grenade tech after M20 is recommended to help you harass with smoke without getting sniped.

16 Mar 2016, 21:34 PM

As soon as you see Sniper commit to a strategy of rapid upteching and relatively high center pressure with lights and weaker troops. Upgrade infantry with automatics and use them on the flanks.

Why pressure center more than usual? It's easier to flank a sniper in the middle by rotating high DPS squads into his retreat path while he is pressured by an M20 and cheaper troops, then it is to use riflemen center and flank with M20, because good players have mines and waiting Ostruppen/Grens.

In terms of teching:

Go LT, the LT himself plus M20 is all you should need to beat one sniper. (Along with 3 rifles.)

Captain tier is not designed to be effective against Snipers, but you can get lucky with the pack howitzer.

Grenade tech after M20 is recommended to help you harass with smoke without getting sniped.

And how do you deal with the 2x 222 with a M20 and grenades upgrades? Not saying to not go M20, but you can't really follow it with grenades, unless you manage to kill one with a lucky mine (which cost you more munitions making thus grenade even less relevant).

I'll say it depends on the map and how you manage to pressurize him early game, but if you don't plan to go capt T2, unlock BARs/Zook en equip a pair on your REs if you see a 222, otherwise BARs on your rifles.

Bear in mind that a M20 is also a fantastic sniper on its own, use it wisely to snipe his models from max range. Force him to take risks to take it down, He'll have less time to micro his sniper if you bleed him first.

Then, honestly, USF vs Ost+sniper is only a matter of micro/skill/concentration, the first who commit the wrong move lose.
17 Mar 2016, 12:57 PM

Given I've been away for some time and there has been some changes how does one counter OST sniper mid to late game? Been playing against every OST player with them using sniper and had varying degrees of success flanking but with the new 222 buff, M20 has a very small window of opportunity. Tried Captain to counter but my opponents have the foresight to get a pak for Stuart. Admittedly I get frustrated to push OST back only for the sniper to pick off my men, poor fellows.

Any advice is appreciated.

When you get a 222 with a M20 you have to use smoke and disembark crew. The 222 cannot fire in the smoke while your zook crew fire to 222. If u are lucky u can kill 2x222 if he doesn't retreat them.

If he retreats the 222 then get in M20 and run while sending some RF to slow down the 222 that for sure will start chasing again.
19 Mar 2016, 23:04 PM

Thank you for the advice gents. Will try them out in 1s if I can find a Ost player and not a OKW one!
19 Mar 2016, 23:24 PM

Be intentional with your flanks. Try to get as far behind enemy territory without detection if you can.
19 Mar 2016, 23:35 PM

people would call me crazy, but I kinda let the sniper "alive" at first. they are a very good source of veterancy. taking half sniper life is more than half vet0 bar.

also, I have this strategy where I "ignore" the sniper, in a few minutes most players become lazy on their micro and let the sniper on a exposed position, then you give one strike and get it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★