Login

russian armor

New OST Commander Suggestion - Infantry Tactics

20 Feb 2016, 08:47 AM

Hey all, first post here!
I've been very ill these last two days and i spent the night semi-awake with high fever, not being able to sleep. To keep me occupied i ended up thinking about CoH2 for some reason and i got a couple of interesting (at least to me :P) ideas popped in my mind. This is very raw, probably horribly broken etc, but i decided to share it anyway, then risk the trolling and flames... ^_^

So i was thinking of things that will actually change how you play the game and your faction, rather than giving insane new abilities/units. This is probably a mid-game commander since it has no big callins and offmaps, and it's based around improving the OST infantry in various ways, while kind of sacrificing the armour/vehicle side. It is a very munitions heavy doctrine.
(all the durations and cooldowns are probably way off, i will not mention it every time to avoid clutter of text)

Infantry Tactics Doctrine

1 CP - Fire at Will
Cost: 5 ammunition per infantry MODEL you have alive
Duration: 15 seconds
Cooldown: 1 Minute
Description: Give your soldiers a "Fire at Will" command, allowing them to fire their weapons much faster (30% ?) and a chance to suppress the enemy (but never pin!) at the expense of ammunition and lowered accuracy (-15% ?).
Explanation: This ability can be very strong since it should increase your DPS quite a bit and allow your soldiers to suppress, meaning they can setup a mortar/arty strike or even combine with a granade. The downside is that it's directly related to the number of actual models you have, meaning that if you blob up it will cost you A LOT to use. It also ties in with another ability, coming at higher CP.

3 CP - Tactical Deployment - PASSIVE
Description: Your fuel and ammo caches provide tactical advantages for your army. Every ammo cache you build spawns TWO medics at it's location and every fuel cash spawns TWO engineers.
Explanation: This passive allows you to have front line repairs and healing by making your caches spawn medics and engineers, similar to the special medic/engi capture points. However they only come with 2 of each, so you won't be able to rapidly heal many soldiers at one spot. You have to either spread out and heal at multiple posts or rely on bunkers as usual. Not sure about the engineers, i believe the actual repair points have 4? The medics/engis can be killed, like any other such units and will respawn after the standard time.

5 CP - Superior Infantry
Cost: 100 ammunition, the manpower cost of the model (squad cost/4, for example, for a squad that comes with 4 models)
Cooldown: 2 Minutes
Description: Boost a chosen squad with one additional member.
Explanation: The defining ability of this doctrine, it allows you to increase the number of models a squad has by 1. In most cases that means you'll have 5 man squads. This increases the survivability of your squads as well as their damage output. However, this ability will directly influence the cost of the "Fire at Will", making it cost even more. Once upgraded, a squad can be reinforced to it's new full number without having to re-use the ability on it. Can only be used ONCE per squad.

10 CP - White Phosphorus Strike
Cost: 120 ammunition
Cooldown: 3 Minutes
Description: Same as the existing ability - artillery dropped canisters of smoke that can either cover a retreat or damage the enemy, dislodge emplacements...

12 CP - Experimental Pz 4 - CallIn
Cost: Same price as a regular Pz 4
Cooldown: 5 Minutes
Description: Calls an experimental Pz4 to the frontline, capable of adapting to a particular role as an AT or unit transport.
Explanation: This is a bit of a nonsense really, but i felt like it's an interesting idea.
The Pz4 comes with two possible upgrades, instead of the pintel MG.
- Replace the main gun with a longer one - Turns the tank into a mini-Panther with a long gun that can easily penetrate higher armour. However the damage remains lower, on par with Pz4 standard damage.
- Reconfigure the hull of the tank, allowing for a squad of 4 (so not an upgraded squad) to be transported in the tank.
20 Feb 2016, 09:50 AM

I don't really like the idea overall, but here are some suggestions.

-----
Fire at Will
-----
This ability will definitely be creating some very frustrating RNG moments. I think removing the RNG part of this ability and changing it out for something else will make this ability better.

------
Tactical Deployment
------

This ability might be good in larger team games, but in 1v1's, this ability is near useless. In 1v1's, caches are very rarely built, so this ability will most likely be pretty unused.

Also, it just sounds sort of useless. If one of my units need healing, walking the unit a long way to a point with a cache on it is simply not worth it over healing at base. On a map like Arnhem Checkpoint, it would take too long IMO. The two engineers that repair I could see maybe being useful late game when your engineers are busy and you really need repairs.

--------
Superior Infantry
--------
Don't really like this one, and I don't have any ideas to change it.

------
White Phosphorus Smoke
------

This ability seems quite out of place with this commander. I think it
should be switched out for something else.

-----
Experimental Pz4
-----

Don't think this ability quite fits in either. I think a P4 command tank would fit in with the whole better infantry thing. The P4 command tank with the buff on infantry would make it fit bitter with the whole idea of the commander IMO.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★