47%
7%
0%
47%
Total votes: 15
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
17 Feb 2016, 00:14 AM

Hello there,
I have been thinking about an issue, that has been persistent throughout the entire CoH franchise.
This is about the default turret position of tanks and how it can't be changed at all.
As many have already seen Relic has tried to tackle this (in a singleplayer campaign) with "Direct Fire" (Tales of Valor Tiger Ace campaign).
This feature though isn't really suitable for multiplayer, because it demands way too much micro.

You might have experienced this problem, when you had a shot blocker in the view of the tank, which would mess up the turret tracking, thus leading to shots that could have been taken, when the turret followed the target more quickly, intelligently, or persistently through shotblockers (assuming vision of target). However, turret AI, turret speed, or "wallhacks" aren't really good ways of fixing this problem, because from my point of view, the players should have this amount of "more control" over their tanks and their turrets. Therefore I have come up with something that is called "Anchot-Turret". From an implementation perspective, this is basically a persistent ground attack, where you can issue move orders in between, minus the ground attack, plus your turret doesn't ignore enemies.

To illustrate this concept, I have added an image and yes my paint skillz are real.

Jokes aside, what's your opinion on this?
17 Feb 2016, 00:59 AM

Thought you were referring, to literally anchor the tank's turret, as the Jagdtiger had to do it IRL, maybe could work, anchoring like an mg, while it sets up, altough it's too slow to actually matter, but yeah, this mechanic could work
17 Feb 2016, 01:04 AM

I couldn't come up with a better term than anchoring that would describe this in one word.
17 Feb 2016, 01:23 AM

You would need to implement this in a mod, as it doesn't affect much or add a lot of tactical depth, simply stated Relic doesn't add features after faction release, exception being DLC.

(Relic after releasing WFA)

17 Feb 2016, 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It's a goddamn pain when you have a vehicle chase a unit that just went out of sight and be forced to watch it traverse its weaponry toward another target or even waste its shot while it's chasing. Prioritize Vehicles certainly isn't enough to fix that happening, and this feature would also make flanking tanks with your own a lot easier since you can just have your vehicle drive straight toward the flank regardless of current facing and expect to fire on its target soon after getting close instead of having to have the entire vehicle facing the target (or traverse its turret) before getting close enough.
17 Feb 2016, 01:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2016, 01:39 AMVuther
It's a goddamn pain when you have a vehicle chase a unit that just went out of sight and be forced to watch it traverse its weaponry toward another target or even waste its shot while it's chasing. Prioritize Vehicles certainly isn't enough to fix that happening, and this feature would also make flanking tanks with your own a lot easier since you can just have your vehicle drive straight toward the flank regardless of current facing and expect to fire on its target soon after getting close instead of having to have the entire vehicle facing the target (or traverse its turret) before getting close enough.

This is exactly the issue this is supposed to tackle. Too bad it won't get added.
17 Feb 2016, 05:48 AM

I like the idea, really a bummer we won't see it though.
17 Feb 2016, 06:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2016, 01:48 AMNubb3r

This is exactly the issue this is supposed to tackle. Too bad it won't get added.

Coh 3 anyone?

17 Feb 2016, 07:33 AM
Patrion 28

i like the idea although i would also accept just having Hold Fire in addition to or instead of Prioritize Vehicles. i just want my tank to shoot at what i want it to shoot at, particularly if i'm trying to chase something that i don't have LoS to.

turret lock would have the unique micro feature of allowing tanks to pop sideways around corners and fire quickly.
17 Feb 2016, 22:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

i like the idea although i would also accept just having Hold Fire in addition to or instead of Prioritize Vehicles. i just want my tank to shoot at what i want it to shoot at, particularly if i'm trying to chase something that i don't have LoS to.

turret lock would have the unique micro feature of allowing tanks to pop sideways around corners and fire quickly.

This.

We already have some kinda of turret locking with spearhead on the KT. Not sure if possible to lock on the desired direction but limiting to only the front should be possible at least.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★