Login

russian armor

COH2 Performance Benchmarked (July 2013)

15 Feb 2016, 16:43 PM
Patrion 26

This is a really interesting read and includes an impressive amount of data:

http://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/

Conclusion:

'The key to maximum performance seems to be a highly clocked CPU, preferably a Core i7 or Core i5, and it's no surprise that we recommend overclocking if you want to squeeze more performance out of your system, especially if you're using an i3 or anything from AMD. While the FX-8350 performed well, i5 chips such as the i5-3470 gave much more bang, though if you plan to play with maximum quality then your GPU will probably create a bottleneck before your CPU anyway.

Unfortunately, we're a little disappointed with the results overall as CoH 2 seems far too demanding for what it is. Furthermore, for a game that requires such a tremendous amount of graphical power, its lack of multi-GPU support feels like a serious blunder to us.'
15 Feb 2016, 19:37 PM
Donator 11

I agree with the article, if you use MSI Afterburner ui, you can see the lack of use of the cpu and gpu while running the game.
15 Feb 2016, 22:18 PM
Patrion 26

There is another set of tests and results here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/22/company_heroes_2_performance_iq_review#.VsJNTObK2qE (also from July 2013)

These tests are over two years old, yet people seem to have worse performance now, despite having better rigs.

It would be great if someone in the community could create a video, highlighting all the areas in which the game isn't fully utilising the gpu (and cpu).
Someone made a really great video for X-Com 2, which can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cI4GgGtkeU

15 Feb 2016, 22:33 PM

This game was made in a hurry because at the time Relic was under a lot of pressure to make something happen. I am a developer myself and i can tell you that software as complex as COH2 made in a hurry it's a recipe for failure.
Most probably at this time the code is too complex and risky to make changes so nobody wants to touch some parts of it( i know i wouldn't). Performance software requires to know the code inside out and most probably some of the original developers are not even working there anymore.
To be honest, as a developer, considering how diverse this game is ( so many units and possible interactions), i am surprised that the game is not crashing more often or having more weird bugs.
So good job on the programming part Relic, not the balance part :D
15 Feb 2016, 22:36 PM

It can't be that difficult for Relic to increase performance considering they were able to once before. :foreveralone:
15 Feb 2016, 22:45 PM
Patrion 26

I'd love to know what has changed to cause a decrease in performance between the game's release and now. The Western Armies certainly cause a performance drop - but why?

As you say, Sturm, it's a very complex engine. I've read some articles that explain that despite excellent design the engine does take more of a toll on PCs the longer into a match you get. As all the destruction, footprints, track marks, craters, etc, have to be calculated and rendered constantly.
That's apparently why the game doesn't support SLI, the amount of data that would have to be transferred between graphics cards would cause more problems than it would apparently solve.
You can read all about it in this article: http://semiaccurate.com/2013/07/15/company-of-heroes-2-relic-performance/

Based on how it used to perform it does seem as if optimisation is possible - even if doing so is probably near the bottom of Relic's 'To Do' list.
16 Feb 2016, 04:09 AM
16 Feb 2016, 06:00 AM

I'd love to know what has changed to cause a decrease in performance between the game's release and now. The Western Armies certainly cause a performance drop - but why?

Relic did state that they increased the graphical complexity of units added in WFA. You can generally notice that they look a lot sexier. I strongly suspect that has a lot to do with it.

It does seem pretty clear that software is the limiting factor, given that any reasonable CPU and GPU can't be maxed out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS