Login

russian armor

Faction artillery options

18 Jan 2016, 10:09 AM

There is also the problem that if you are allies, building artillery becomes resource conversion of sorts. It converts 600 of your own manpower into an automatic Stuka bombing strike on that location.
I agree with you, but I have to take a moment to point out that the Il-2 bombing run does exactly the same thing. At least I'm pretty damn sure that it does.
18 Jan 2016, 12:27 PM
Patrion 14

I agree with you, but I have to take a moment to point out that the Il-2 bombing run does exactly the same thing. At least I'm pretty damn sure that it does.
Yep, although stuka vs allied howitzers is a more frequent matchup, it is worth mentioning this. Anything said for stuka vs allied howitzers is also valid for bombing run vs LeFH.

The problem is most prevalent in teamgames, where all it takes is ONE bombing run or stuka commander to completely invalidate up to four other team howitzer commanders.
18 Jan 2016, 12:45 PM

Very true IL-2 bombing run will achieve the same thing, however in the grand scheme of things the IL-2 bombing run is seldom used and far less attractive for a number of reasons:

- IL-2 costs more at 200 muni compared to SDB which is 160 muni.

- IL-2 has red smoke makers whilst the SDB has only a audio warning (which can be mistaken for a shot down plane until its too late).

- IL-2 has a higher damage potential but much lower effective kill radius compared to the ninja buffed SDB which has just massive. Combined with lack of red smoke makes the SDB good at punishing blobs and wiping out support weapons wholesale. IL-2 is only really effective against a station target like arty or PAK-43.

- More importantly the doctrines that have the SDB all have the reacon plane as well, meaning the arty positions can always be revealed. Only one of the Sov commanders have both the reacon and bombing run, meaning IL-2 has less opportunity to counter the axis heavy supports.

It might also be worth pointing out that in days long past, the go to counter for Soviets was the BM-14 / ML-20 / B4 precision strike. It has since been removed, leaving sovs with fewer options for counter arty. And that’s just the soviets, other allies factions have to turn to less conventional counters.

Bottom line is that allies have less of an easy time to counter axis heavy support weapons.

I do find it very odd that these one-click, instant counters to fixed weapons which have no counter play whats so ever, exist in the first place - really does go against the very core of the game.

Edit: forgot to mention that IL-2 bombing run is also particulary useful against OKW FHQs - when they can be spotted.
18 Jan 2016, 13:26 PM

Only artillery that brits have is mortar pit.

Relic said it's late game faction.:sibHyena:
18 Jan 2016, 13:44 PM
Donator 33

The M8 Scott is beyond a joke. 3 of them can plug away and between them they will be lucky to accumulate 10 kills in several engagements. Unit needs a twist for sure, considering the Werfer and the Zu Fus now sit on the high on the scale.

The Katty although fixed to an extent is really quite lacking now. It essentially gives the opponent 3 warnings to move and so long as you do you escape. Whereas the Werfer gives you one warning of similar duration and even if you click retreat MG's are lucky to escape and AT guns? RIP. the system of over nerf under power then just ping pong between them is pretty lame.
18 Jan 2016, 13:50 PM
Patrion 14

Btw some time ago I made a suggestion how to fix Stuka dive bomb vs ML20 problem (apply symmetrically to IL2/LeFH).

- make the dive bomb decrew the howitzer (of course)
- make it take out precisely 98% of the Howitzer's max HP (target tables allow for that).
- make it inflict a "gun mangled" critical on the gun that disables firing, and only goes away once you repair to 100% HP.

Voila. Howitzers instantly viable in team games.

This way it requires the Stuka strike and something to actually get into damage-dealing range (a Walking Stuka, a PWerfer, a Schreck squad, a grenade, or a tank farting in its general direction), which is counterplayable at least to some degree. It still allows for destroying the howitzer from the safety of your base but the investment becomes difficult to maintain (Recon + stuka + investment of some other damage dealing unit or ability or, in teamgames, offmap) which sounds like a far fairer deal to me.

Priests are proof that this would not be overpowered. You can't offmap Priests against non-noob players, you have to close the distance with tanks or Schrecks. Nobody complains of Priests.
18 Jan 2016, 14:24 PM

replace m8 with priest. buff 25 punder and make it cost more and make sexton same as priest with same price and i guess problem will solve. and of course all rocket artilery need to be like katiusza
19 Jan 2016, 09:02 AM

I like the B-4 for his vet1 ability that oneshot a tank in sight and his fast reload. Sadly i dont like the KV-1.

Kozo
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS