Login

russian armor

How To Bring Balance To The Brits

11 Jan 2016, 14:58 PM

Right now the Brits don't feel as adaptive as they should be. Their base Arty sucks, they have high MP bleed, half their commanders are bad, and they have no good light armor.

Personally I think the Brits are not to bad but they need a little buff for the right units to make them competitive again so this is what I suggest.

1. Increase base artillery damage and blast radius by 50%.

2. Decrease IS to 270 and reduce reinforcement for weapon crews and IS by 1.

3. Reduce tech cost for bofors and AEC to really cheap like 50 Mp and 5 fuel.

4. Reduce cost of AEC by 10 fuel.

5. Allow two figures to shoot out of the top of the UC.

To make Arty and Engineer commanders more appealing then the worthless commanders that they are now i propose these changes.

Arty Commander:

1.Since base arty is buffed it should make this commander more viable.

2. Reduce valentine CP requirement by 1 so it can actually be an effective combat tank for a short time.

3. Increase blast radius by 50% on sextant.

Engineer commander.

1. Reduced prices of the AEC and bofors should make this commander more viable.

2. Reduce the debuff penalty on the command tank ability.

Oh yeah and one other must have change!

Nerf the supporting artillery call in some how... Thing is way OP.

Hopefully these changes will make the brits more viable and adaptive then they currently are.
11 Jan 2016, 15:04 PM

1. Increase base artillery damage and blast radius by 50%.

what the 25 pounder need is speed and surprise. An obvious red warning smoke make it useless. remove the obivous red smoke and allow the tommies to call it down from farther out.

4. Reduce cost of AEC by 10 fuel.

a cheap piece of crap unit is still a piece of crap. the wehr is in a similar boat with their 222. The AEC need extra range on its gun to make it more comparable to the puma.

(and the ostheer need better light vehicle counter, but that's a topic for another day)
11 Jan 2016, 15:27 PM

what the 25 pounder need is speed and surprise. An obvious red warning smoke make it useless. remove the obivous red smoke and allow the tommies to call it down from farther out.

a cheap piece of crap unit is still a piece of crap. the wehr is in a similar boat with their 222. The AEC need extra range on its gun to make it more comparable to the puma.

(and the ostheer need better light vehicle counter, but that's a topic for another day)

The AEC is not a puma dude. The 222 is used often its a great unit. The AEC should be inbetween the 222 and the puma which it is.

The arty is an area denial tool. It's clearly the purpose the developers had in mind.
11 Jan 2016, 18:42 PM

Guess ur refering to brits 1v1 performance with ur light vehicles and stuff but if u look at the team games, brits are overperforming and definitely dont require any buff.
11 Jan 2016, 18:54 PM

The UC certainly needs something, being able to transport a Vickers would be nice ( I don't mean fire out of it, merely transport it as per it's primary role!). Suppressive fire doesn't seem to be any use, maybe armour piercing rounds so they could nibble at the Axis lights? Not being able to repair them until T2 is the biggest handicap.

Other options which follow a historical path are 2inch mortar upgrade and Boys AT which it pretty much carried as standard ( because no bugger would carry it!).

Maybe a suppressive fire ability for a nominal munitions cost on the Vickers at Vet1? I love the Vickers but seeing a few Axis squads waltz past them accepting a few casualties feels wrong when you've taken the trouble to trench and dedicate a unit to choke point denial. Lobbing a nade and forcing you out is fine, some pre-emptive counterplay, maybe only when not garrisoned in a building, would help a lot.

As for the base arty I think the primary thing it lacks doctinally is smoke ( other than obvious things like accuracy, tot, weight of fire). You get a smokescreen late game with the Churchill, or with a pit at vet1. It is rather shortranged given the vulnerability of a pit on the frontlines though. Being able to fire a smoke mission within los would give the AEC with it's excellent sight range a useful recon and scouting role. Also the primary role of the 2inch mortar was to provide useful smoke at range, few platoons would go out without a couple of them.

Come to think of it giving the UC the ability to call in base arty a la sniper or upgraded IS would give them a role in the late game and wouldn't affect a thing until T2. Would give the Axis lights something to do other than mowing down my infantry down for fun as UC's would need to be hunted.

Other than mines it is very difficult to ambush the Axis on COH2. Piats are too inaccurate against anything moving above tortoise pace and nothing other than the Cromwell really has the mobility. Carden Lloyds were often used to truck 2 and 6 pdrs around. Maybe consider allowing the UC to hitch AT guns ( can't see it, would need graphical changes). They'd be pretty much defenceless to AT on the move but being able to reposition your AT rapidly on a flank would make a world of difference.

British doctrine then and now emphasised recon, particularly for indirect fires, for light armoured vehicles. Stay out of sight, stay alive and call in the arty. Oh and mow down any trucks you happen to see. :) The main armament was there to suppress whilst reverse gear and full throttle were selected which makes the AEC a strange mishmash of units. Very decent light AT with woeful AI and terrible handling. Not helped by defensive smoke which only fires after the inevitable engine damage.

The humble Humber would be a better choice I think, lighter armour but with a 15mm Besa which would suppress at great range and annoy the hell out of anything it was too weak to penetrate.

I'm not a good player so take this as more of a historical critique if you disagree. :D
11 Jan 2016, 19:43 PM

Guess ur refering to brits 1v1 performance with ur light vehicles and stuff but if u look at the team games, brits are overperforming and definitely dont require any buff.

Yes, 1 vs 1 balance for Brits is dreadful, as is why no one plays them in tourneys, even then in team games, the Axis rip apart the allies, there is no contest, in no way, shape, form, or game mode are the Brits blooy overperforming.
12 Jan 2016, 04:34 AM

Yes, 1 vs 1 balance for Brits is dreadful, as is why no one plays them in tourneys, even then in team games, the Axis rip apart the allies, there is no contest, in no way, shape, form, or game mode are the Brits blooy overperforming.

If you look at the stats they are not over performing in any of the team matches(talking the qouted guy). I don't think they get "ripped apart" but I certainly think there is an unfair advantage bc of the over buffing of OKW.

Brits right now only have one legitimate play style. Get tier 1 units, get an AT gun, and then immediately tech to tier 3 to get a fast tank then tech up infantry.

There mid game is horrible besides the AT gun and sniper which are situational.
12 Jan 2016, 04:51 AM

Brit Base Arty is fine it denies area if you're afraid of RNG. This one time I called down Brit Base Arty and the dude didnt care and an RNG Shell came down and raped one of his units then another unit.

Another time was when 3 grens were retreating and all of them were 2 man the shells from Base Arty landed on them and killed them. They didn't retreat at the same time though. They retreated one by one as they died one by one to base arty.
12 Jan 2016, 04:59 AM

Brit Base Arty is fine it denies area if you're afraid of RNG. This one time I called down Brit Base Arty and the dude didnt care and an RNG Shell came down and raped one of his units then another unit.

Another time was when 3 grens were retreating and all of them were 2 man the shells from Base Arty landed on them and killed them. They didn't retreat at the same time though. They retreated one by one as they died one by one to base arty.

Everyone has times when crappy units work amazing. It happens sometimes. Doesn't really represent the usefulness of that ability or unit.

Brit Base Arty can some times be good just through pure RNG or having just the right distance from your base but I would say 4/5 times as an area denial tool its not very effective.
12 Jan 2016, 05:13 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Main issue is that when you look at the lower levels of play (anything not in the top 50) Brits tend to play like Axis. When you have two factions that play like axis (more like the wehrmacht, really), OKW gets a huge advantage from its offensive capabilities and Wehrmacht, when played DevM style, can get good map control, something crucial to preventing when playing as USF or Soviets.

But yeah, their shit needs to get buffed.
12 Jan 2016, 23:35 PM

Brit Base Arty is fine it denies area if you're afraid of RNG.

compared to the rocket artillery which basically slaugther units, the 25 pounder are basically firework.
13 Jan 2016, 00:10 AM

compared to the rocket artillery which basically slaugther units, the 25 pounder are basically firework.

It's because it's rocket artillery; it's meant to slaughter blobs. 25 pounders are meant to break defenses.
13 Jan 2016, 00:30 AM

I think partly the reason is that they're just getting outperformed by OKW (who are obviously head and shoulders above the other factions this patch) who don't need fancy units and sidegrades for everything and they can just out-tech and out-cap brits.

The other reason is that brits are just straight up bad anyway and all of their crutch units that were holding them up(crocodile, commandos) have been nerfed with not a lot buffed in return. (looking at you, royal artillery commander)
13 Jan 2016, 00:41 AM

25 pounders are meant to break defenses.

if the defense is weak enough for me to get a tommies within 20 meter, it's probably not a defense.
13 Jan 2016, 00:57 AM

"if the defense is weak enough for me to get a tommies within 20 meter three or four times, it's probably not a defense."

Fixed it for you. :)
13 Jan 2016, 01:17 AM

Pre-patch OKW? Need to bring brits back into 1v1 Esport.
13 Jan 2016, 01:47 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

if the defense is weak enough for me to get a tommies within 20 meter, it's probably not a defense.

Cover is defenses!

...if you're lucky.

Because it ain't hitting the enemy.
13 Jan 2016, 02:35 AM
Patrion 26

If and when Volks lose their ability to hard counter everything, afforded to them by the panzerschrek, units like the AEC and UC won't suck half as hard as they do right now.

Tragically brits themselves only need a few tweaks to become viable, but it's these crucial weaknesses that ruin the faction in 1s and 2s:

- Infantry sections underperform for their cost. At 280 MP, they have the worst utility (no snare, have to pay for fuel for separate nades/weapon upgrades - if you can consider PIAT an upgrade!), they also barely trade even with grens at 240 MP. Given that Brit earlygame is limited to expensive, impotent infantry, they have trouble both fighting and capping and tend to get stomped from the off. An increase in IS performance + some way to snare light vehicles is needed in order to allow them to survive the first 10 minutes without completely giving up the map.

- 25lb'er base artillery is woeful. It needs a bit of love in the scatter and AoE departments, possibly with a rework in it's flare-call-in mechanic for use in later game stages against people that can actually react to red smoke.

- Royal Artillery Regiment Suxton and over-CP'd valentine. Nuff said.

- Comet Penetration? Could possibly use a slight increase, though this has more to do with the batshit insane 320 (55 less than IS-2 and KT) bullshitium armour on the panther. Watching a High velocity gun like the Comet's 77mm or Firefly's 17lb'er bounce off a tank they were designed to counter is one of the most infuriating things as brits, if you manage to survive to the late game. Panther could probably do with lower armour (more in the high 200s range) and lower tech cost(for Ost) than an the comet could do a buff tbh.

And on the flip side:

- Cromwell fuel cost. You're crazy Yunoh - suggesting a NERF for the weakest faction!? Damn straight! The Cromwell performs well above it's 110 fuel price tag - it's on par with the Panzer IV in general capability, the lightning speed and crush potential are a bonus. Being the best true medium tank, this deserves to cost more in the 125 fuel range.

Of course stuff like the Land Mattress and a mobile mortar would be nice, but I think the above changes would bring UKF in-line. Especially if Volks and Rocket arty are in for the chopping block anyway.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★