Login

russian armor

How to counter OKW early on small maps (2vs2)

18 Dec 2015, 17:45 PM

Hello!

A few days ago, I had a game on moscow outskirts 2vs2, playing as soviets, with an USF friend. We faced one OKW and one Ost. This particular game went in a way that he was busy with the Ost player on one flank, going quite even, and I was completely overrun by the OKW opponent, pushed back in the base within a few minutes with just sturms, kubel and volks. There's nothing wrong with my micro, using cover and dodging all the nades (admittedly the opponent was more skilled) but I just couldn't handle the t0 onslaught from OKW. It has happened before on the smaller maps (i.e. crossing) so I feel I need to ask for some strategy tips.

Additional information: I believe he went (sturm start) kubel, folk, sturm, volk, volk. I went for pure cons start, quickly teching t2 for a maxim when I started to lose first engagement, to try countering the sturms. I couldn't close in on the volks as he countered any attempt with kubel soaking damage (when it wasn't capping) and sturms protecting them from close combat engagement. When I tried to cap instead of fighting, he simply sent enough force to prevent me from continuing (same strategy, 1 kubel, 1 sturm, 1 volk), pushed all the way to our base and went supporting his teammate. Then, a quick luchs, raketen and schreks countering my lights and pretty much gg.

So, I need tips for build order(including side techs) as soviet on smaller maps(flanking and possibility to avoid combat limited) and how to handle the mixed arms from okw t0 (2 sturms, kubel and then volks). Should I stick with cons or go for super early maxims? Mortars? T1(sniper feels risky with kubel and early luchs)? Teching to t1/t2, AT nades and healing leaves me with a feeling of mp disadvantage, how do I maintain a field precense with those limitations? Any tips are welcome, especially from good OKW and soviet players.

Bonus: Sometimes I forget to veto minsk pocket(still 2vs2). I always have big troubles with this map as soviet(even after dec patch) but this time against ost. Mg42's, pak's and mortar's locking down the front with grens watching and protecting the flanks for any surprise flanks. It almost always feels like it ends up in an indirect fire spam war, which I mostly loses. 120mm mortar is fairly effective, but not enough to pierce the defenses. When panzerwerfer arrives it's usually gg. I need tips how to handle this map properly as soviet.
18 Dec 2015, 22:16 PM

Hello!

A few days ago, I had a game on moscow outskirts 2vs2, playing as soviets, with an USF friend. We faced one OKW and one Ost. This particular game went in a way that he was busy with the Ost player on one flank, going quite even, and I was completely overrun by the OKW opponent, pushed back in the base within a few minutes with just sturms, kubel and volks. There's nothing wrong with my micro, using cover and dodging all the nades (admittedly the opponent was more skilled) but I just couldn't handle the t0 onslaught from OKW. It has happened before on the smaller maps (i.e. crossing) so I feel I need to ask for some strategy tips.

Additional information: I believe he went (sturm start) kubel, folk, sturm, volk, volk. I went for pure cons start, quickly teching t2 for a maxim when I started to lose first engagement, to try countering the sturms. I couldn't close in on the volks as he countered any attempt with kubel soaking damage (when it wasn't capping) and sturms protecting them from close combat engagement. When I tried to cap instead of fighting, he simply sent enough force to prevent me from continuing (same strategy, 1 kubel, 1 sturm, 1 volk), pushed all the way to our base and went supporting his teammate. Then, a quick luchs, raketen and schreks countering my lights and pretty much gg.

So, I need tips for build order(including side techs) as soviet on smaller maps(flanking and possibility to avoid combat limited) and how to handle the mixed arms from okw t0 (2 sturms, kubel and then volks). Should I stick with cons or go for super early maxims? Mortars? T1(sniper feels risky with kubel and early luchs)? Teching to t1/t2, AT nades and healing leaves me with a feeling of mp disadvantage, how do I maintain a field precense with those limitations? Any tips are welcome, especially from good OKW and soviet players.

Bonus: Sometimes I forget to veto minsk pocket(still 2vs2). I always have big troubles with this map as soviet(even after dec patch) but this time against ost. Mg42's, pak's and mortar's locking down the front with grens watching and protecting the flanks for any surprise flanks. It almost always feels like it ends up in an indirect fire spam war, which I mostly loses. 120mm mortar is fairly effective, but not enough to pierce the defenses. When panzerwerfer arrives it's usually gg. I need tips how to handle this map properly as soviet.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★