Login

russian armor

How much impact on outcomes do you think RNG really has?

28 Oct 2015, 13:03 PM

Missing a shot/bounce you name it was/is/will be part of the COH experience. No1 whined about it back in COH1 (even in tourney).

CoH1 has better penetration system. Each weapon has a whole penetration, accuracy and damage table compare to each type of armor.

For example, in CoH1 M10 can penetration 90% with panther at close and 70% at long.
Or Marder III has 25% more damage vs Pershing, which make it a natural counter.

CoH2 has way worse system, in hope of reducing coder workload by simplifying with Armor and Target Size value. And thanks to the system, RNG become more decisive factor.
Of course luck is what make this game interesting, but when it goes beyond imaginable border, it's just stupid.

This replay has a raketen killing engineer squad and 4 conscript model in heavy with 4 shots at min 3. Using raketenwerfer to counter infantry prove he's more skill? I doubt so.
28 Oct 2015, 14:05 PM

The only part of RNG I hate is when you have an infantry engagement, you lose one/two models of a squad from it and then the piece of mortar/artillery/tank shell from the fog gets the clump kill on the rest of your squad. I have had this done to me and I have done it to others and I feel like there was nothing I or they could have done other retreat before this shell came flying at them. As far as not killing units near death you can do something about that to increase the chances like use abilites, have another unit or block them.
28 Oct 2015, 14:08 PM

Replays or gtfo.

You're a forum warrior in every thread, calm down. This is not the way you act on forums.

On topic:

Some RNG has more impact on outcome than another one.
A heavy crit engine damage with your first tank / abandon tank in 1v1 has a major impact on outcome, while others have less impact.
28 Oct 2015, 15:53 PM
Donator 11

well, i voted for 1 out of 10 games, but i acutally think it is more like 5 out of 100 atm.
in times of über SU152 it was more like 1/10 or even 1/5: do your ATguns and shrecks kill him first or the other way around?

interestingly: the better the matchmaking and the better the balance, the more games are decided by RNG!

and i think, that RNG in early game might be overlooked very often: if your squad rolled a bad dice for the first volley, while the enemy squad killed one of your guys, the advantage then snowballs out of hand.
28 Oct 2015, 16:25 PM

A heavy crit engine damage with your first tank / abandon tank in 1v1 has a major impact on outcome, while others have less impact.

But then the question is: what bone headed decision did you make with the tank that caused it to be in a situation where it could happen? (Overextended, under significant AT fire, running over mines or whatever.)

There's always a few tactical errors preceding these sorts of things.
28 Oct 2015, 16:37 PM

But then the question is: what bone headed decision did you make with the tank that caused it to be in a situation where it could happen? (Overextended, under significant AT fire, running over mines or whatever.)

There's always a few tactical errors preceding these sorts of things.

Not always, you can hit a mine that has been laying there for a long time.
I'm ok with punishments because indeed if you are overextending or you are running into 7 AT's, but not the randomness a mine can bring. Not good for Esport.
28 Oct 2015, 16:59 PM
Donator 11

The poll should be the "Percentage" of the games that you play.

"1% of 100" or "5% of 100". Just my opinion.
I voted 5 BTW
28 Oct 2015, 17:14 PM
Donator 11

oh, a thing i forgot to mention:

if warspoils are considered to be part of this statistic aswell, you could agrue, that sometimes and for some commanders, the war spoils RNG had a MASSIVE impact on the game, for example vanguards or elite or tankhunter at respective moments.
28 Oct 2015, 17:21 PM

Considering my playing level, I'm absolutely sure that the better player wins. I had so few moments that RNG made any difference that I can't remember any today.

Voted 1/100, not because I believe this is an accurate number, but because it certainly appeared in more than 2 games of the 1600+ games that I played.
28 Oct 2015, 18:31 PM

CoH1 has better penetration system. Each weapon has a whole penetration, accuracy and damage table compare to each type of armor.

For example, in CoH1 M10 can penetration 90% with panther at close and 70% at long.
Or Marder III has 25% more damage vs Pershing, which make it a natural counter.

CoH2 has way worse system, in hope of reducing coder workload by simplifying with Armor and Target Size value. And thanks to the system, RNG become more decisive factor.
Of course luck is what make this game interesting, but when it goes beyond imaginable border, it's just stupid.

This replay has a raketen killing engineer squad and 4 conscript model in heavy with 4 shots at min 3. Using raketenwerfer to counter infantry prove he's more skill? I doubt so.

Yeah, well designed target tables are missing, penetration is sometimes a bit retarded. But COH 1 had the infamous 5% crit bug, ppl could live with that.

As for your replay, all of us seen insane things in COH. OMCG being useless/usefull, sniper missfires etc.
28 Oct 2015, 18:35 PM

Yeah, well designed target tables are missing, penetration is sometimes a bit retarded. But COH 1 had the infamous 5% crit bug, ppl could live with that.

As for your replay, all of us seen insane things in COH. OMCG being useless/usefull, sniper missfires etc.

It also had retarded hit or miss sniper fights and inconsistent off map arty damage vs structures (Inf doc arty vs Wehr T2, Firestorm on 105 in earlier patches)
28 Oct 2015, 18:51 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Donator 22

None.

The player who plays better will win 100% of the time.

Absolutely wrong. RnG can decide a game against you no matter how well you play.

Situations that come to mind are like making a calculated decision to trade your heavy (tiger/is2) for your opponents because you have dominant map control and then your opponents heavy ends up being abandoned.

A situation i had vs a player in this thread. Lost three of my medium tanks only to abandon the same panther twice and precede to lose the game because of this.

RnG can and will never hesitate to fck you in the ass.

Removing abandon will be a solid step against how wildly ot can affect you.
28 Oct 2015, 19:01 PM

5% bug was fixed in 2.602

and Dullahan needs to simmer down he sure talks the talk for being extremely average
28 Oct 2015, 19:56 PM

I think people are talking about 3 different things: RNG which is the basis of COH2, flukes on the system (plane crashes, constant improbable rolls, abandoned vehicles, etc) and predictable rolls (see sniping retreating squads, ISU wiping squads, indirect fire landing middle of a full health squad and wiping it, last shot of a pak missing or deflecting, etc)

1- If a unit (Centaur/Flamer) evaporates squads on 1 or 1,5s theres no RNG there as the results are practically the same. Surviving for more than 4s would be RNG.

2- When you get a scatter shot from a pak, hit across the map your Katyusha/PW that's fucking :hansRNG: doing it's job. 2 snipers killed by 2 consecutive AT gun shots? :hansRNG: 5 deflections on a 20% roll? You get the deal. I consider this to happen 1/100

2- If i try to snipe the last model of a retreating squad without using abilities, well that's a 50/50 call, a flip coin, this is RNG. The normal one.
Using a Stuka dive bomb on a Katyusha and it been abandoned or getting a crit, while a lower chance, still enters this category.

+1

Pretty much nailed it. A lot of occurrences that get called RNG are just predictable rolls. There are very few times where RNG truly cost me a game (1 in 100 seems about right).

I sure do get salty when a mortar round wipes out a full health squad though.
28 Oct 2015, 20:33 PM

None. The player who plays better will win 100% of the time.

:rofl: +2
28 Oct 2015, 23:03 PM

Absolutely wrong. RnG can decide a game against you no matter how well you play.

Situations that come to mind are like making a calculated decision to trade your heavy (tiger/is2) for your opponents because you have dominant map control and then your opponents heavy ends up being abandoned.

That's a calculated RISK.
Emphasis on the word risk.

You make the decision knowing that is a possible, if rare, outcome.

You can blame RNG for it happening, but if you play conservatively rather than take a risk going for the throat such a thing will never happen.

It's a high risk, high reward gamble and it's silly to blame the game when it doesn't go the way you wanted it to.

Moreover, even if your gamble fails, it's not like you're anywhere near out of the game. (Unless you ragequit.)

29 Oct 2015, 00:17 AM

Watch Price v Symbiosis's last game in OCF, and tell me RNG does not decide games.
29 Oct 2015, 01:15 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Donator 22

That's a calculated RISK.
Emphasis on the word risk.

You make the decision knowing that is a possible, if rare, outcome.

You can blame RNG for it happening, but if you play conservatively rather than take a risk going for the throat such a thing will never happen.

It's a high risk, high reward gamble and it's silly to blame the game when it doesn't go the way you wanted it to.

Moreover, even if your gamble fails, it's not like you're anywhere near out of the game. (Unless you ragequit.

Yeah its pretty silly to blame the game when your 3 Full health M4C shermans cant finish an engine damaged panther because it got abandoned twice. RnG didn't decide the game there at all.

There is a difference between taking a risk and not having it pay off and getting absolutely robbed by an entity outside of your control.

Give me a gardening break man.
29 Oct 2015, 08:01 AM

Yeah its pretty silly to blame the game when your 3 Full health M4C shermans cant finish an engine damaged panther because it got abandoned twice. RnG didn't decide the game there at all.

There is a difference between taking a risk and not having it pay off and getting absolutely robbed by an entity outside of your control.

Give me a gardening break man.

Well no, the deciding factor of that game was tech choices and getting greedy on the Panther kill. As I said before, playing conservatively will prevent this sort of thing.

Three M4C Shermans isn't a very balanced force. Certainly sounds like the sort of composition that a Panther eats for breakfast, and depending on positioning (Front armour? Rear? Range etc.), penetration (Only ~40% chance to penetrate panther up close.), supporting units etc it's still a risky fight even with the overwhelming tank force. Maybe if you had a more well rounded arsenal with say, some tank destroyers and infantry based AT, it might have gone a bit better.

A t70 can kill a stug on a good day too, I'm sure the shermans had it in the bag.

But hey, I'm sure it was strictly the RNG's fault.

29 Oct 2015, 08:09 AM

One of ten and it's fine, no complaints here.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★