Login

russian armor

5 men commando squad

8 Oct 2015, 20:30 PM

I personally want commandos to become a more skill-based unit. THey should require tactics to use effectively. This is why I would like to see:

-Commandos get soviet sniper cloak. Only active when in cover, and dissipates the moment they leave cover.

-Ability to create yellow cover (foliage, small ditches), to help them set up ambushes.

-Less recieved accuracy to punish them for charging enemies head-on.

-Commando Gammons mirrored to bundle-grenades.

-Ambush ability no longer gives access to damage modifiers.

This way, commandos will have clear counterplay (scout units) since they have to stay stationary to ambush enemies. It will also make them less able to singlehandedly walk up to enemy positions and murder them to death. At the same time, it retains their uniqueness and keeps them as very effective flank engagement and flanking units.

Trash idea. Whole point commandos are fun is that you can move into enemy territory undetected. Remove that and kill commandos.
8 Oct 2015, 21:33 PM

-Ability to create yellow cover (foliage, small ditches), to help them set up ambushes.

Don't they already have this? They have a smoke grenade that gives light cover bonus.
8 Oct 2015, 21:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Don't they already have this? They have a smoke grenade that gives light cover bonus.

It's temporary though, I imagine comm_ash seeks something akin to building defences for them.
8 Oct 2015, 22:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2015, 15:38 PMRomeo

I think that if commandos receive any other nerfs, they will definitely need their stealth as it is to perform for their cost. Otherwise they will have to sit idle in cover hoping an enemy walks into them, rather than stealthing around the battlefield looking for important targets. I find that to be the most fun and unique aspect of the squad, so it would be a shame to remove that if it weren't absolutely necessary.

What about simply lowering them to 4 man squad (they were small elite teams so 5 men isn't really feeling very real) and that takes care of their uber DPS right there. leave gammon the same so they can be a nasty hit and run unit and simply make them de-cloak if they ever leave cover for more than 1 second. This way you have to move carefully from cover to cover or wait in cover but IMHO, I agree with you that removing their camo abilities completely would be a shame and remove a very fun and challenging/rewarding unit.
9 Oct 2015, 11:44 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2015, 20:30 PMpugzii

Trash idea. Whole point commandos are fun is that you can move into enemy territory undetected. Remove that and kill commandos.

You mean kill your overperforming easy mode insta wipe unit? Lol get out of here.
9 Oct 2015, 11:47 AM

Permanently Banned

What about simply lowering them to 4 man squad (they were small elite teams so 5 men isn't really feeling very real) and that takes care of their uber DPS right there. leave gammon the same so they can be a nasty hit and run unit and simply make them de-cloak if they ever leave cover for more than 1 second. This way you have to move carefully from cover to cover or wait in cover but IMHO, I agree with you that removing their camo abilities completely would be a shame and remove a very fun and challenging/rewarding unit.

Sounds good apart form the gammon bomb being the same, the timer is way to low.

How is removing their cloak on the move also removing a 'challenging' unit? There is nothing challenging about commandos, they are a no brainer unit.
9 Oct 2015, 12:02 PM

What if Commando's were like the Rangers in Ardenne Assault (Ooooh I wished that those would come in-game) They've great dps out put, but don't have any cover. You've to move through cover and more hidden paths to come close, but rape people that don't pay attention and get flanked.

Personal thing how I'd like to see commando's.
9 Oct 2015, 12:03 PM

Permanently Banned
What if Commando's were like the Rangers in Ardenne Assault (Ooooh I wished that those would come in-game) They've great dps out put, but don't have any cover. You've to move through cover and more hidden paths to come close, but rape people that don't pay attention and get flanked.

Personal thing how I'd like to see commando's.

Ah yes, that does sound great ! :)
9 Oct 2015, 12:04 PM

No rape train from cover, but a noticable rape train
9 Oct 2015, 12:18 PM

They over perform currently and could use a reduction in their DPS.
9 Oct 2015, 12:26 PM

I personally want commandos to become a more skill-based unit. THey should require tactics to use effectively. This is why I would like to see:

-Commandos get soviet sniper cloak. Only active when in cover, and dissipates the moment they leave cover.

-Commando Gammons mirrored to bundle-grenades.

-Ambush ability no longer gives access to damage modifiers.

This way, commandos will have clear counterplay (scout units) since they have to stay stationary to ambush enemies. It will also make them less able to singlehandedly walk up to enemy positions and murder them to death. At the same time, it retains their uniqueness and keeps them as very effective flank engagement and flanking units.

Too be honest they should probably just loose the Light Gammon for the proper 75 muni heavy gammon. That would actually make them possibly usefull against things like IFVs or Light Armour and allow for reaction while still punishing players for enering it. I feel like the light gammon should have more of a longer wind up/throw but keep the same fuze. 3 seconds would be too much.
9 Oct 2015, 16:31 PM

Sounds good apart form the gammon bomb being the same, the timer is way to low.

How is removing their cloak on the move also removing a 'challenging' unit? There is nothing challenging about commandos, they are a no brainer unit.

Add an additional .5-.75 seconds to bomb then. What I mean is it's a great tool to hunt for snipers and other support units that are well guarded by enemy MG/inf/tanks. If commandos can't stay cloaked while on the move in cover: 1st that makes no sense since they are a stealth unit just like a sniper and so should be able to stay cloaked while moving in cover and not firing. 2nd you couldn't use them offensively for raiding at all if they lose the moving cloak ability and you will be stuck using them as ambush units as they are so expensive for reinforcement that fighting along side front line troops is an MP drain.

The one change I would make to cloaking is a longer re-cloak time after firing their weapons or tossing their G bomb. That prevents abuse of firing the darting away and cloaking to prevent counter fire. It also makes sense that they wouldn't be able to re-cloak in a couple seconds like a sniper can since they are a squad of men and not 1 man (2 in case of SU).

How does that sound?
9 Oct 2015, 16:49 PM

The one change I would make to cloaking is a longer re-cloak time after firing their weapons or tossing their G bomb. That prevents abuse of firing the darting away and cloaking to prevent counter fire. It also makes sense that they wouldn't be able to re-cloak in a couple seconds like a sniper can since they are a squad of men and not 1 man (2 in case of SU).

How does that sound?

Excellent. Although, I do think they need a slight dps nerf as well to find the sweet spot. Knowing relic and the low frequency of balance patches, I do think they will either leave it untouched or overnerfed though..
9 Oct 2015, 17:01 PM

Permanently Banned

Add an additional .5-.75 seconds to bomb then. What I mean is it's a great tool to hunt for snipers and other support units that are well guarded by enemy MG/inf/tanks. If commandos can't stay cloaked while on the move in cover: 1st that makes no sense since they are a stealth unit just like a sniper and so should be able to stay cloaked while moving in cover and not firing. 2nd you couldn't use them offensively for raiding at all if they lose the moving cloak ability and you will be stuck using them as ambush units as they are so expensive for reinforcement that fighting along side front line troops is an MP drain.

How does that sound?

It does sound good! I don't want their cloak to be removed for movement in cover, but rather for movement out of cover. As of now, they can move from cover to cover pretty much cloaked no matter the distance. Moving cloaked in cover is fine by me and gives the unit its edge. However moving from cover to cover cloaked shouldn't be a think, unless the cover is like 0.5 seconds apart from each other.

And yes the longer re cloak is a very good idea! Wonderful!

Also as someone else already posted after your comment, I would also think a small dps nerf is needed. We must be conservative with these efforts though, an overnerf is not what I want for this unit, not at all! :)
9 Oct 2015, 17:31 PM

It does sound good! I don't want their cloak to be removed for movement in cover, but rather for movement out of cover. As of now, they can move from cover to cover pretty much cloaked no matter the distance. Moving cloaked in cover is fine by me and gives the unit its edge. However moving from cover to cover cloaked shouldn't be a think, unless the cover is like 0.5 seconds apart from each other.

And yes the longer re cloak is a very good idea! Wonderful!

Also as someone else already posted after your comment, I would also think a small dps nerf is needed. We must be conservative with these efforts though, an overnerf is not what I want for this unit, not at all! :)

+1 slight DPS nerf certainly not unwarranted. I do hope they don't over-nerf though.
9 Oct 2015, 17:54 PM

I somewhat disagree, I'm unsure if the sneaky nature of the unit would fall apart if they couldn't move with cloak. Maybe a few seconds (2?) cloak time when out of cover (out of combat) instead of 0.5 sec or similar would suffice. The point is shock, trap and flank value, and with a too short recloak time (out of combat) with the debatlable dps nerf would tip the risk vs reward too much towards risk favor when considering the cost.

What I do agree with is simply a way longer recloak time when in combat and a slight dps nerf. Would be awesome to try that out and go from there to see if they're still overperforming or not.
9 Oct 2015, 18:21 PM

Permanently Banned

I somewhat disagree, I'm unsure if the sneaky nature of the unit would fall apart if they couldn't move with cloak. Maybe a few seconds (2?) cloak time when out of cover (out of combat) instead of 0.5 sec or similar would suffice. The point is shock, trap and flank value, and with a too short recloak time (out of combat) with the debatlable dps nerf would tip the risk vs reward too much towards risk favor when considering the cost.

What I do agree with is simply a way longer recloak time when in combat and a slight dps nerf. Would be awesome to try that out and go from there to see if they're still overperforming or not.

I tend to agree slightly, but I stand with my points nonetheless.
9 Oct 2015, 18:40 PM

I tend to agree slightly, but I stand with my points nonetheless.

That is fine. I really hope they will be balanced in the end :)
9 Oct 2015, 20:04 PM

The price adjustment needs to be made if the DPS going to be toned down and not to mention reinforcement cost.
9 Oct 2015, 21:30 PM
Developer Relic Badge

The price adjustment needs to be made if the DPS going to be toned down and not to mention reinforcement cost.

The majority of the Commando's cost comes from the Glider which may be too expensive for Commando Regiment and Vanguard probably shouldn't be able to build them or they get a different variation as they steal the thunder away from that doc and get to build more for cheaper.

Commandos are only actually 350mp. 70(per model) x 5(models) = 350 and you get a lot of stuff with them off the bat.

-Light Gammon Bomb
-Cover Cloak that works on the move
-0.72 recieved accuracy per model
-Only 35 per model

Only thing really bad about them is their veterancy being generally worse than other infantry and the fact their short-range troops, but hey, everything's front-loaded and you got a cloak.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★