Login

russian armor

OCF Prize Pool

20 Sep 2015, 12:38 PM
Admin Red  Badge

I work on this so many hours that I don't have time to count my hours. It sounds like an exaggeration, but it's not. If you think we should count hours and then publish those to the community (say what? who does that?), then please come on staff to be our accountant. Maybe you could help us.

You know, we've been working on coh2.org for almost 3 years now. We didn't start counting hours at the beginning because it was pretty pointless to do so. Would you want to know that you made .05 cents an hour for the months of work that you did? We frankly didn't want to know.

If we become more successful, we will attempt to improve our book-keeping.

I think: For a person, for the community and for the site. It's not about the hours, but about people. In football, they show you the stadium, and maybe have a chat about the place, the teams, and their history. It gives people perspective, it makes them familiar and it makes some care. Some stick and a community grows.

MajorBloodnok gave perspective on the money split; DOTA 75:25% and CoH2 50:50%, I didn't know. Like him, I'm not worried about how the money is split, but someone do, out there! They are on the fence. The Major helped some make a choice. And so did Kreatir! His post goes in more detail, and it gives people a better sense of what goes on. What effort the staff, and you, put into the site. Obvious to staff and you, Ami, is how much time goes into all of this. But what about those outside? They might not even think about it!

This thread makes them think, makes them aware, and so might make them care. For a person, for the community and in turn the site. No need for an accountant, Ami.

Do, though, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I searched the front page and the drop down menus, but I couldn't find a "Staff we Need" page. Perhaps, that could be an idea? A little box on the front page, or a link to such a page in a drop down.
20 Sep 2015, 19:24 PM
Patrion 14

i don't get this.

You're pretty close, swift, but we have never publicized how coh2.org distributes its income. So when you say I get 50% of what coh2.org takes, you are just guessing. I've mentioned before on streams that coh2.org is owned by myself, Seb, and Marco. For this event, we will be compensating Janne252 as well. We were able to do a little compensation for TM.Dutchy, our lead artist, by paying his expenses in our trip to Munster to visit the tank museum.

so ~$5000 is going to be split amongst the four Ami mentioned. How can this be more clear?

why do people want exact percentages? do they have specific percentages that they think each person deserves?

Have they been to staff forum to see exactly what staff did what for OCF?

Does 50%, ~$5000 seem too much? not to me, but remember that the initial maximum value for unlock flagpole was set at $3250. Which meant that the OCF organisers initially doubted the contributions could go well over $3250.
22 Sep 2015, 10:44 AM
Benefactor 3110

Well i am here because i like coh2 and the tournaments of this site. I do not care who gets what percentage. If you do not agree how your money is spent, don´t contribute. This is your prorogative. If you are only willing to contribute if you get to know to a cent who gets what, then just keep you money in your pocket. Nobody will think any lesser of you.

I don´t care at all and i spent my money wisely.

Best Regards
awa59b

PS: Damn that ace game between symbiosis and captainsprice was fine! In my top 10 of best coh2 matches of all time!
PPS: yes, i was entertained!
22 Sep 2015, 11:15 AM

I know that my doubts over the prize pool have personally stopped me from contributing - many others share my apprehension. In the interests of transparency, and coh2 itself, I think it would help for the community to be in the loop a little more. Who knows, maybe we could reach 10k and have Hans eat some Soap as well :sibHyena:

This.

And If you have a cow you can kill it and eat it or you can milk it for years to come.

It maybe would have been better to let a bigger % of the money go in to prize pool. This would have increased donations and the bigger prize pool would have increased the interest in the game. This would have hyped the game making it a big milker for years to come.
22 Sep 2015, 11:51 AM
Donator 11

Overall I think OCF has been a fantastic thing for this (dying) community.

Slightly off topic but:

Stop with the negative waves man

Steam stats do not agree the community is dying. In fact the figures for people playing are looking as good or better compared to any period except the first 2 months in 2013 and that's looking before the bump provided by Brit launch and presumably the tournament.

Nothing too dramatic but numbers have been holding steady for two years and had gradually risen recently with strong monthly average, 24 hour peaks and monthly peak figures compared to the last 24 months. My personal view is that we are seeing older COH1 players who were turned off by it trying it again and seeing the huge changes towards all the things they wanted in the first play (i.e. more like COH1 with light vehicle play, less rng, more options throught eh techning changes and less cheese like flamer M3's plus better support and communication) I think the prize pool has also helped, pulling in Aimstrong and other lapsed top players - I see Rodgers and Pounder are casting again. On the weekend the tournament made the front page of twitch.

We may in months to come see the game go ftp and that also offers the opportunity to pull in more numbers. In summary I think the game is in the best place its ever been for both numbers and community and is more likely to grow (modestly) than shrink or die (which is a melodramatic thing to say).

You're complaining that the alleged lack of transparency is a lost opportunity for promotion but also talking down the game based on a slightly shaky premise.

On the other hand I do hope Ami will be declaring this income in his tax return!
22 Sep 2015, 11:54 AM

are we seriously judging people that have structured such a community?
From my point of view i wouldnt care if they could get 70% of prize pool if only to guarantee that they could keep up with their work for years to come.

Go ask relic for their stupid (in my opinion) dlc policy and how they contribute their sares from the money you have given them for unfinished staff and broken balance beyond recognition for the past 3 years.

NOT THESE GUYS.
22 Sep 2015, 12:19 PM
Patrion 26

Stop attacking the OP, he just wanted to know how his money contribute to the event and the community. Nothing is wrong with that.... I don`t care if its 50% 60% or 75% as long as I know for what those 75% will be used. Will it improve the site? Is it an investment to the future of the community? Those all are legit questions, you don`t have to be aggressive about them except if you have something that you don`t want people to know.

P.S: Would be nice if coh2.org would get a facelift
24 Jan 2016, 23:30 PM

Banned
So this Ami guy got away with 5000? If so, I am never comming back to this site ever again, that is disgusting.
24 Jan 2016, 23:42 PM

So this Ami guy got away with 5000? If so, I am never comming back to this site ever again, that is disgusting.

1) No

2) You clearly didn't read the thread

3) There's plenty of context you're ignoring.

Look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 11
South Africa 1
United Kingdom 144
Germany 23
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W