Login

russian armor

Relic needs internal testers.

19 Sep 2015, 09:35 AM

It's obvious to anyone who watches Relic's streams that they do not have many people who play their games internally. They are a company without a passion for gaming, which is a shame because the hallmark of a great game is loving and playing your own game. Sure, they have a couple of people in game design / balance that can play, but that's the thing. Their job is to balance / design. They don't have time to extensively play and find out how the game works from anything but a disconnected programmer's point of view.

Relic need to hire people whose sole job is to test internal builds of the game before they release. If they did that, so, SO many problems would be fixed before release so that we don't have to suffer for it. To have the audacity to not have internal testers and, at the same time, present their products to us without tasting their own product is a huge disrespect to us, their fanbase and customers.

What is the purpose of this thread? Why did I make it here and not anywhere else? I guess I'm just ranting. I don't feel like getting flamed by posting it on the official CoH2 forums.
19 Sep 2015, 09:39 AM
Benefactor 115

Builds aren't integrated properly, been an issue for ages.

QA is outsourced so response times are heavily delayed.

Bugs reported by the private alpha group are largely ignored which was one of the intentions for the alpha group.
19 Sep 2015, 09:43 AM

Builds aren't integrated properly, been an issue for ages.

Bugs reported by the private alpha group are largely ignored which was one of the intentions for the alpha group.

This is unfortunately the sad truth about QA and Alpha testing. The community does its best to help them-for free of course-but Devs ignore it. Relic is doing this to themselves...
19 Sep 2015, 09:46 AM
Donator 11

Relic could just employ CaptainSPrice and Cruzz, and the problem is solved.
19 Sep 2015, 09:48 AM

Relic could just employ CaptainSPrice and Cruzz, and the problem is solved.

Agreed. There are people here who work 10x harder than any dumb intern, Cruzz especially works hard to keep us informed on the behind-the-scene changes, and time and time again he is scorned and ignored. Once again, the fact that they treat us, and Cruzz, like they do is a huge disrespect.
19 Sep 2015, 09:49 AM

Oh Relic. Why do you make loving you so difficult?

So much has been improved, and things are looking great but revision control at Relic has always been so comically out of control. It is essentially guaranteed to have 5-10+ issues reverted back to previous values every patch.

I don't even know how they do it at this point honestly.
19 Sep 2015, 09:51 AM

Well, its no secret they don't have their own internal QAs, we can tell that by quality of EVERY SINGLE PATCH.
19 Sep 2015, 16:56 PM
Benefactor 115

Relic are too hubristic to implement fixes done in AE by players. The thought of dirty uneducated gamers being able to fix bugs with their own developer tools is beyond their comprehension.
19 Sep 2015, 17:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2015, 09:35 AMHorasu
It's obvious to anyone who watches Relic's streams that they do not have many people who play their games internally. They are a company without a passion for gaming, which is a shame because the hallmark of a great game is loving and playing your own game. Sure, they have a couple of people in game design / balance that can play, but that's the thing. Their job is to balance / design. They don't have time to extensively play and find out how the game works from anything but a disconnected programmer's point of view.

Relic need to hire people whose sole job is to test internal builds of the game before they release. If they did that, so, SO many problems would be fixed before release so that we don't have to suffer for it. To have the audacity to not have internal testers and, at the same time, present their products to us without tasting their own product is a huge disrespect to us, their fanbase and customers.

What is the purpose of this thread? Why did I make it here and not anywhere else? I guess I'm just ranting. I don't feel like getting flamed by posting it on the official CoH2 forums.

That is a completely ignorant statement to make about Relics attitude towards their products. I've never met a developer who doesn't care about their product, it is counter intuitive.

QA costs money (especially for a skilled one), maybe they don't have the budget? And being a SEGA owned studio and SEGA having several QA labs maybe they won't get the money.

Most designers are not programmers, most designers play their designs a lot so they can iterate on their designs to improve them.

I do think Relic has some pipeline issues, the regression is high but I don't believe for a second that they don't care.

I still believe that smaller bit sized patches with minor tweaks is a better approach than large sweeping changes.

In an ideal world they would split the MP from SP and have two different branches which would hopefully reduce regression and new bugs being generated, this all speculation as I don't know their internal workings.

The reality of video game development is far more complicated than people think.

19 Sep 2015, 17:31 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

They need to setup a regression test with a simple SQL database of their units and abilities. It would take maybe a week or two to code but it would then take all their changes and cross reference them vs the database and then pull out a list of changes that was actually made. This would eliminate all the changing of a statistic and it effects 5 units they didn't think about etc etc. It's really simple programming and would improve their process 1000X.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★