Login

russian armor

What's currently the best counter to a shrek-blob?

17 Sep 2015, 11:37 AM

I am having a bit of trouble against shrek-blobs.

In my experience it has not been that much of a problem since shreks are rather expensive anyway. But combined with salvaging and extra ressources, it can build up to quite a mess.

With the lack of anti-personel mines, no non-doctrinal mortar, no sniper and a current 50 cal that can be blown away by a sneeze, it's kind of difficult to find a proper counter. A counter that is cost-price effective, mind you. And one you can employ by the time it becomes clear that this is your opponents strategy.

What is your best counter?
17 Sep 2015, 12:00 PM

AA halftrack can do well, also .50 and pack howitzer. Just dont park them and think they will stop the blob alone, if you really can't do anything try to just cut the guy off with a squad. Volks are not that good without vet
DeC
17 Sep 2015, 12:05 PM

17 Sep 2015, 12:15 PM

late game, a microed Sherman w/ HE shell could potentially keep it in check

TO ANYONE RESPONDING AFTER THIS:
OP is asking how to counter with USF
17 Sep 2015, 12:21 PM
Donator 11

3 Sappers with Brens and anvil tactics can deal with a blob of 5 Volkgrenadiers with Panzerschrecks. With Sovjets the penals with flamethrowers can deal with them. With USF you can always counter the blob with your own Rear Echelon with BARs blob, just make it bigger and better.
17 Sep 2015, 15:25 PM
Donator 11

Typically I've tried one of 50. cal/1 pack howie (or both,) and some sort of vehicle to kite it around since anyone shreck blobbing typically tunnel-visions on your m20/stuart/aaht/sherman and ignores the other threats. It works pretty well as long as you have decent positioning and keep up with the micro.

Lately I've been experimenting with Airborne since it is my favorite commander and I've had success with lmg paratroopers + pathfinders and pathfinder-crewed 50.cal. Jury is still out so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it.

By far the most satisfying counter is demo charges. It's situational and doctrinal but baiting/predicting a blob into a demo is one of the most satisfying things you can do in this game lol.
17 Sep 2015, 15:27 PM

Couple .50s with a pack howie or two, or a couple .50s with M8A1s can work pretty well against them.
17 Sep 2015, 16:00 PM
Benefactor 392

BARs help. as well as the m1919s if you choose a doctorine for that. if its a map that has a lot of buildings flamethrowers.

Problems with people who blob is that it's annoying to fight them, mostly because you need to do a lot of preparing to nail them hard to retreat. People who also blob will retreat full squads easy if they are slightly losing an engagement so its easy to recap.

You want him to force an engagement on you lead him into narrow corridors for easy supression bait him into demos or mines.
17 Sep 2015, 16:20 PM

Use rear echelons to build fighting positions into a crossfire. You don't have to upgrade all of them with .50s, but place the squads in and wait for the blob to come in. Since they are grouped together, the volley fire ability would be helpful in suppressing the Volks. Best to have two or three rear echelons. One or two of them has to have BARs to pin or suppress units that are not grouped. By the time that happens, the passive rifle grenades will kick in and hope to RNG that it would devastate him.
17 Sep 2015, 16:31 PM

Permanently Banned
Just wait till patch hits servers today. .50 call will finally be a reliable hmg again Kappa
17 Sep 2015, 16:36 PM

17 Sep 2015, 16:37 PM

Sherman Dozer, Sherman HE, double M8 (all well microed ofc)
17 Sep 2015, 17:07 PM

17 Sep 2015, 17:42 PM

Go Armor.
Plant Demo on road.
Lure blob with vehicle.
?????
Profit!
17 Sep 2015, 17:59 PM

17 Sep 2015, 19:51 PM

You want him to force an engagement on you lead him into narrow corridors for easy supression bait him into demos or mines.

Mines? What mines?
17 Sep 2015, 20:30 PM

Mines? What mines?
As of today's patch, both Assault Engineers (Armour/Mechanised) and Riflemen w/Field Defenses (Infantry) will give USF access to "regular" mines. Riflemen Field Defenses is supposed to already have it but it has been bugged so far.
17 Sep 2015, 20:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2015, 20:30 PMTalore
As of today's patch, both Assault Engineers (Armour/Mechanised) and Riflemen w/Field Defenses (Infantry) will give USF access to "regular" mines. Riflemen Field Defenses is supposed to already have it but it has been bugged so far.

+1
17 Sep 2015, 22:25 PM

USF doesn't lack AP mines anymore. But the best counter is go armor company : use demo charges

Of if you're feeling really ballsy, get an M10 and crush his blob. It will make them very upset.
18 Sep 2015, 08:24 AM

I know about those mine options. But the point here is that they are doctrinal.

I.e. it means you are forced to pick a certain doctrine (or two).

This is bad because then your enemy is forcing your strategy. And because it might just be that you have already chosen a different doctrine before the shrek blob becomes a cancer.

Iows I'm looking for non-doctrinal counters.

Those of you suggesting shreks to be countered by vehicles should provide a good replay. Because no US tank or vehicle will survive any contact with 3-4+ shrek squads unless the opponent is a fool (in which case you'll win anyway).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★