Login

russian armor

LMG Engineers?

12 Sep 2015, 16:57 PM

Just had an interesting encounter with a player who spammed the anvil engineers.

I was wondering what their stats are because I swear to god I just had a squad of obers engage a vet 1 squad in cover and the obers got absolutely devastated. Granted they had to move into cover first, but the engineers lost 1 model to the obers 3 and instantly vetted up.

They cost what like $210 MP?

I thought I had the guy until a churchill basically drove head on into a ratken and jagdpanther and killed them both while his engineers mopped the floor with my obers.

The British seem to have extremely strong, like almost OP strong lategame units. And these engineers apparently become gods with the LMGs. He had like 6 squads of them, I have no idea how he afforded the munitions on the things as I could barely outfit my obers.

How would you guys counter this strategy?
12 Sep 2015, 17:00 PM
Patrion 14

I guess it's weak to indirect fire, because the engineers move slower thus can't really atack.

Though when the engineers hit vet 3 it's a really strong strat, they have cheaper reinforcement then as well.

So I would make double howie as OKW, perhaps a Luch? They have zero AT.
12 Sep 2015, 17:10 PM
Patrion 14

If you upgrade the engineers with 2 vickers/ brens before you unlock heavy engies on them, they can have 3 lmgs. They also gain 1 armor, for a total of 2. For comparison, Shocktroopers have 1.5 armor. I believe they gain better repairs too.

Their big, and I mean big drawback is their speed. If you throw a grenade, they have to retreat. If you have a tank, or any AOE weapon, they become kind of worthless, because they can't soft retreat easily, and armor doesn't help against explosives..
12 Sep 2015, 17:14 PM

They have obvious drawbacks, but upgrade should cost like -40 munitions :P
12 Sep 2015, 17:23 PM

He had like 6 squads of them, I have no idea how he afforded the munitions on the things as I could barely outfit my obers.

Their vickers lmg is free, and even with it they're not very effective combat troops without additional weapons. lmg obers are far superior 1v1.

12 Sep 2015, 17:32 PM

Their vickers lmg is free, and even with it they're not very effective combat troops without additional weapons. lmg obers are far superior 1v1.

Not really, LMG Engineers aren't very deadly but killing them with small arms fire is not easy.
12 Sep 2015, 17:41 PM

You say that but I watched a full squad of obers get mowed down by these guys. I guess if they have 2 armor and 3 lmgs that might be why. They are pretty slow but honestly trying to close into grenade range means your going to get shredded, and you can't really engage them at range or they win.

I guess an IEG or walking stuka would do it as they did seem pretty slow.

Are they super cheap to reinforce as well? I noticed that he had some kind of supporting half trak driving around keeping them at full strength the majority of the time.
12 Sep 2015, 18:51 PM

Are they super cheap to reinforce as well? I noticed that he had some kind of supporting half trak driving around keeping them at full strength the majority of the time.

at vet 3 they get very very cheap to reinforce, about 13mp per model?
12 Sep 2015, 18:52 PM

If you can keep them reinforced I can see how they would be devastating. Their reinforcement should probably go up if the heavy option is chosen
12 Sep 2015, 19:07 PM

Permanently Banned

at vet 3 they get very very cheap to reinforce, about 13mp per model?

:foreveralone:
12 Sep 2015, 20:59 PM

:foreveralone:

Good lord that is quite the unit.

So you have a 5 squad unit with more armor than shocks which is half the cost of Obers and gets a free LMG upgrade? I mean even without the 13 MP reinforce that is a ridiculously good bargain for an engineer unit which can also repair and make battlefield modifications.

Not entirely sure that seems balanced but then again I'm not expert. I know their slow but they seem like terminator units right now. Does anyone have their actual DPS output with all those machine guns?
12 Sep 2015, 22:03 PM

one of the main problems is that after teching to Anvil tactics, any engineers can be upgraded for free, so you can just call in lots of engineers, upgrade them all for free and have an LMG armored blob.

Some changes you could make is that the heavy Engineer squad should be a call in squad from the HQ after teching, or it should cost munitions to upgrade engineers to prevent having all your surviving sappers turn into terminators for free.

Although they do move terribly slow though. Makes them a very easy target for grenades and artillery, especially snipes with Gren riflenades

(brit early game still needs examining before nerfing any lategame stuff though)
12 Sep 2015, 22:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Why are you guys just looking at the pros?

thats 3 LMG, on a 5 man squad,which means epic drop chance, vickers are VERY similar to grenadier LMGs,which means if you start dropping vickers and brens everywhere,the LMG gren blob gets stronker and stronker.

Thats 3 LMG on a squad that cannot attack effectively because of its speed.

2 Extra LMGs is 120 munitions..1 vickers lmg on a close range squad moving at .02 miles an hour is underwhelming at best.
Vet 3 doesnt come instantly.
Throw one grenade or have a mortar, or worse an LEIG,or even horribly worse,a tank cannon which all ignore armor and received accuracy :foreveralone: , and the squad retreats.

You basically have a squad that has to be repairing and defending,. Anvil is about defending(and being tough and slow),and engineers are meant for repairing. Whats wrong with the unit?
12 Sep 2015, 22:37 PM

I've also met those blobs, which are very annoying to take out
13 Sep 2015, 05:00 AM

the squad moves incredibly slow when engaged, lol

Any kind of offmap or indirect fire will destroy them and force a retreat
13 Sep 2015, 05:43 AM

yeah they are quite broken and the funny thing the upgrade cost is free brits have lots of abilites for free,or are rather cheap which other factions to heavily pay for
13 Sep 2015, 05:51 AM

Snip

+1 Anybody who thinkss they are OP should go play British and try spamming them and find out just how terrible they are at being Assault Troops. They are strictly "hold the line" infantry. They are nice supporting troops though to soak fire and help throw out some damage but a Heavy Eng with 1 Vickers doesn't really do all that much DPS (4 models stills have Stens after all and can't close distance to engage due to their extra armor weighing as much as Thor's Hammer).

I had no idea they got 2 armor though o_O
13 Sep 2015, 06:00 AM

+1 Anybody who thinkss they are OP should go play British and try spamming them and find out just how terrible they are at being Assault Troops. They are strictly "hold the line" infantry. They are nice supporting troops though to soak fire and help throw out some damage but a Heavy Eng with 1 Vickers doesn't really do all that much DPS (4 models stills have Stens after all and can't close distance to engage due to their extra armor weighing as much as Thor's Hammer).

I had no idea they got 2 armor though o_O

If you stick two Brens on them in addition to the Vickers, they seem to do a respectable amount of damage at long range. It makes me wonder what their other stats (and vet) are like though - aside from the armour.
13 Sep 2015, 06:22 AM

a buddy of mine brought this tactic to my attention within a day of UKF being released... and it's brilliant. if you can survive the early game long enough to get a couple squads of heavy engineers with brens you're golden against infantry.

IDF is kind of a counter... they do their most damage against OKW, since the leIG isn't as effective as a mortar when it comes to sheer damage output and the stuka is hard to employ well against someone who knows what they're doing.

i don't think they're totally OP, but maybe the vickers K should only be applied if the squad still has a a heavy weapons slot left (i.e. no more than two weapons per squad). i'd also like to see the heavy engineer upgrade cost munitions. since when are any upgrades in coh2 free?
13 Sep 2015, 06:28 AM

2 armor?, isn't their health lower though?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 53
unknown 10

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment