Login

russian armor

Quinn duffy's 5 year plan and War Spoil Extravaganza

10 Sep 2015, 05:13 AM

Permanently Banned
Don't we just love the War Spoils system, don't we just love the 5 year plan?

We don't? Why? Isn't it working as intended?

Not working as intended? Whatdid Relic actually promise with this feature? Good that you ask!

"The expansion's armies add new strategies to COH2, and play significantly differently to warrant investigation. But I get the impression Relic is more excited by the addition of War Spoils, the new content delivery system that it hopes will fuel the game's success in the future."

"War Spoils gives you rewards after each game, including commanders, skins and intelligence bulletins. You can pull three commanders into your loadout before the start of any match, but you can only unlock one during a match. The intelligence bulletins are passive buffs, such as "reload faster". You can bring three of these into a match. The skins do exactly what they say on the tin and make your vehicles look prettier."

War spoils gives you reward after each game :foreveralone:
Lelic pls

source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-29-relics-five-year-plan-for-company-of-heroes-2
10 Sep 2015, 05:19 AM
Donator 11

Who cares. I have never understood the hate for war spoils. If you want the commanders then buy them. Relic is a company.

If you don't care then just play and wait for them to drop. Such entitlement mentality among gamers.
10 Sep 2015, 05:24 AM

5 year plan? sounds like communism is back :snfQuinn:
10 Sep 2015, 05:25 AM

I dont hate the war spoils system, i hate the fact that i have 6-7 plow your way trough bulletins wich are just collecting dust

10 Sep 2015, 08:48 AM

In every corporation today there is a large dose of communism: brainwashing, dictator, no disidents allowed. :)
Phy
10 Sep 2015, 13:31 PM

wow high level in political theory in the post.

:facepalm:
10 Sep 2015, 13:51 PM

While war spoils has a lot to be desired, I really could care less. The impact most war spoils have is negligible.

If you really want war spoils there is a script for it, you could just leave your game running all day and get a bunch that way.

For me personally, I would want them to have balance at there utmost top priority because that would keep me playing, rather than this carrot on a string system they call war spoils.
10 Sep 2015, 14:07 PM

Who cares. I have never understood the hate for war spoils. If you want the commanders then buy them. Relic is a company.

If you don't care then just play and wait for them to drop. Such entitlement mentality among gamers.

If you don't care then you can JUST buy it for everyone.

i don't care
that's why this war spoils system exists
10 Sep 2015, 14:11 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2015, 14:07 PMWhoa

If you don't care then you can JUST buy it for everyone.

that's why the war spoils system exists

That would be an appropriate response if I said "just buy them they are so cheap", but I didn't...so it wasn't. :snfBarton:
10 Sep 2015, 14:14 PM
Patrion 14

My problem with war spoils is that you have no way to positively influence the drops and what you get. In addition, we were promised changes to improve it - instead they have added a million more things, which never drop because we constantly get duplicates.

Nobody likes grinding - everybody likes a target. The old system provided that - the new system doesn't. It's a proper carrot on stick solution, and when your USF and one of the most playable late game commanders is paid for/unlockable... it kills enjoyment.

And then you have duplicates - they are completely useless. You can't use them to "reroll" or have a second shot at the RNG or a trade for another war spoils drop, or exchange them into ingame currency...

Which brings me to my next point - does anybody remember or play Advance wars? Commanders were earned in their challenge or pre-requsite mission, then bought with currency you had to earn through multiple matches. The basic commanders were very good (unlike say, the US forces, some of the Soviet ones). COH2 could of done so, so much better with a system like this. Cheap little intel bulletins, more expensive ones, skins, topped off with Commanders requiring lots of currency. Command and Conquer Generals, a game centered around unique styling of an existing faction, gave you all of them from the start.

The current system is microtransaction/partly pay to win based, which puts a bad taste in players mouths, and it isn't fun to use or exciting to see the (duplicate) rewards.

British forces highlights the problem further - three of the commanders, one of which contains three wholy unique units (air landing officer, medics, crocodile churchill) and a fourth soft unit (PIAT commandos who swap guns) with another having unique infantry section with AT rifles, are locked behind a paywall. That's a lot of content to lock up, especially after just springing for the game. Getting three basic ones buying the game sucks compared to the number OKW and Soviets had on release. Why not just include them in the price of it?

More than fixing war spoils, we need new commanders and an overhaul for the existing ones. The content system is starved (which is why it gives you nothing) and desperately needs new commanders in it. Some of the existing ones need reworking to be... useful. Or even fun. Then people will be excited for the drops.

The last nail in the coffin is Relic's recent description of the system - "progression" - there is nothing "progressive" about war spoils. It's a slot machine. Playing the lottery is more fun. I don't understand the insistence of making us all chronic gamblers.

I respect and like Duffy a lot - I was completely sold when he originally described bulletins to me. But the design of war spoils is one of the most awful, addictive, terrible mechanics I've seen in an RTS or almost any game to date. I didn't sign up to play Diablo. I signed up to blow my opponent up, and recently Relic are stopping me from using a churchill crocodile to do that.

People say "just pay for them omg!" - Yeah, I thought I did, ONCE, when I preordered the British forces. I wasn't anticipating having to pay again to get some of the iconic units I used in COH1 again in COH2.

If Relic are going to keep war spoils I wish they would hurry up and make COH2 free to play. That's clearly what it's geared towards.
10 Sep 2015, 14:36 PM

Permanently Banned
My problem with war spoils is that you have no way to positively influence the drops and what you get. In addition, we were promised changes to improve it - instead they have added a million more things, which never drop because we constantly get duplicates.

Nobody likes grinding - everybody likes a target. The old system provided that - the new system doesn't. It's a proper carrot on stick solution, and when your USF and one of the most playable late game commanders is paid for/unlockable... it kills enjoyment.

And then you have duplicates - they are completely useless. You can't use them to "reroll" or have a second shot at the RNG or a trade for another war spoils drop, or exchange them into ingame currency...

Which brings me to my next point - does anybody remember or play Advance wars? Commanders were earned in their challenge or pre-requsite mission, then bought with currency you had to earn through multiple matches. The basic commanders were very good (unlike say, the US forces, some of the Soviet ones). COH2 could of done so, so much better with a system like this. Cheap little intel bulletins, more expensive ones, skins, topped off with Commanders requiring lots of currency. Command and Conquer Generals, a game centered around unique styling of an existing faction, gave you all of them from the start.

The current system is microtransaction/partly pay to win based, which puts a bad taste in players mouths, and it isn't fun to use or exciting to see the (duplicate) rewards.

British forces highlights the problem further - three of the commanders, one of which contains three wholy unique units (air landing officer, medics, crocodile churchill) and a fourth soft unit (PIAT commandos who swap guns) with another having unique infantry section with AT rifles, are locked behind a paywall. That's a lot of content to lock up, especially after just springing for the game. Getting three basic ones buying the game sucks compared to the number OKW and Soviets had on release. Why not just include them in the price of it?

More than fixing war spoils, we need new commanders and an overhaul for the existing ones. The content system is starved (which is why it gives you nothing) and desperately needs new commanders in it. Some of the existing ones need reworking to be... useful. Or even fun. Then people will be excited for the drops.

The last nail in the coffin is Relic's recent description of the system - "progression" - there is nothing "progressive" about war spoils. It's a slot machine. Playing the lottery is more fun. I don't understand the insistence of making us all chronic gamblers.

I respect and like Duffy a lot - I was completely sold when he originally described bulletins to me. But the design of war spoils is one of the most awful, addictive, terrible mechanics I've seen in an RTS or almost any game to date. I didn't sign up to play Diablo. I signed up to blow my opponent up, and recently Relic are stopping me from using a churchill crocodile to do that.

People say "just pay for them omg!" - Yeah, I thought I did, ONCE, when I preordered the British forces. I wasn't anticipating having to pay again to get some of the iconic units I used in COH1 again in COH2.

If Relic are going to keep war spoils I wish they would hurry up and make COH2 free to play. That's clearly what it's geared towards.

Nailed it, can't add anything to that bro.
10 Sep 2015, 14:41 PM

Lelic gave to OKW lover OKW, so im happy :foreveralone:
10 Sep 2015, 14:47 PM

War Spoils are gay.
10 Sep 2015, 16:03 PM

I bought the Ostruppen Commander. The very first game I used the Ostruppen Commander I got the Ostruppen Commander.

That is why War Spoils annoy me.
10 Sep 2015, 16:09 PM

10 Sep 2015, 16:40 PM

I don't think there is any fix to warspoils coming or even planned. It was only put in place to keep the P2W individuals from complaining.
10 Sep 2015, 16:58 PM

The fact you get more duplicates than actual good stuff is crap. What irritates me is playing for hours on end and never getting the bulletins I wanted, but seeing them get dropped to other people while playing. Slot machine RNG is BS, they need to change it. The system would be fine and dandy if there was some sort of crafting system, kind of like TF2, break down duplicates for raw materials and use those materials to craft something you didn't have while getting rid of all your duplicates in the process. Seriously, implementing a system like that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know why Relic keeps dragging their feet about implementing this stuff.
10 Sep 2015, 17:10 PM

Permanently Banned
The fact you get more duplicates than actual good stuff is crap. What irritates me is playing for hours on end and never getting the bulletins I wanted, but seeing them get dropped to other people while playing. Slot machine RNG is BS, they need to change it. The system would be fine and dandy if there was some sort of crafting system, kind of like TF2, break down duplicates for raw materials and use those materials to craft something you didn't have while getting rid of all your duplicates in the process. Seriously, implementing a system like that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know why Relic keeps dragging their feet about implementing this stuff.

You probably just got unlucky

"War Spoils gives you rewards after each game"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-29-relics-five-year-plan-for-company-of-heroes-2
10 Sep 2015, 17:27 PM

You probably just got unlucky

"War Spoils gives you rewards after each game"

They need to live up to that statement.
10 Sep 2015, 19:36 PM

When we didn't have warspoils, poor relic was flamed for making 'company of pay2win'.

Now that we CAN get commanders for free, we still complain. Eh, what can they do?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★