Login

russian armor

About the comeback of the mortar pit...

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
4 Sep 2015, 05:27 AM
Donator 11

Meh, dislodging OKW trucks dominates mid game. It didn't break anything.

In a MP starved faction, 400 MP is a huge investment. It is good for controlling territory in 1v1 (if you somehow afford it) and even better in 2v2. In larger games the range is too small for how big the maps are. And while it can be useful as a fire and forget (Like all mortars and especially WFA artillery), like all artillery it will perform 100 times better if micro'd

That being said, I would like another hammer anvil choice in T2 that unlocks bofors and mortar and adds another unit to the AEC.

But it won't happen. OpieOP
4 Sep 2015, 05:49 AM

Nice post, Donnie.

There were many here among us who opposed the return of the mortar pit. And personally, I would like the 17 pounder out too - or put into a Commander.

Given the general positive makeover of this army from vCoH, I feel there is a little too much residue of the turtling element.

It really feels odd for late war British too. Like yeah the British sometimes entrenched in a position just like any other army, but 1945 British were a fully mechanised army that moved fast and hit hard. They kind of got that but then there's weirdness like the emplacements.
4 Sep 2015, 06:19 AM

Permanently Banned
Its not worth 400mp
4 Sep 2015, 06:22 AM

Mortar pit is 400 mp for a mp starved faction. It has its counters if u don't freak out and think, plus it is static and can't move, that's a big cons for a unit costing 400 mp, really.
4 Sep 2015, 06:25 AM

Sounds a lot like attacking OKW HQs to me.

You'll adapt soon enough. Just like the allied players did.

How? Two of the buildings don't attack back, and the one that does has lower range than an AT gun or mortar.

If an OWK flak is set up in a position to actually lock down an important part of the map, it isn't that hard to dislodge.

Whereas as a mortar bunker will survive an arty strike, tanks and multiple things. While wiping squads left right and center.

More than anything though its just a boring design, a unit that sits in one places, wiping squads from huge distances.
4 Sep 2015, 06:29 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Meh, dislodging OKW trucks dominates mid game. It didn't break anything.

That being said, I would like another hammer anvil choice in T2 that unlocks bofors and mortar and adds another unit to the AEC.

But it won't happen. OpieOP

Another unit could be the recon infantry section that was removed from the Valentine call-in after the Alpha? A nice recon unit would be good for the flavor of choosing hammer, eh?
4 Sep 2015, 08:45 AM
Donator 11

Playing mainly 2v2 and here the mortar pit is a big thing. Its main problem is not its offensive power but the fact that through endless loop of brace structure it is basically undestroyable.
4 Sep 2015, 10:23 AM

Commandos are 500 mp , sniper 380 , 400 mp for 2x mortar is nothing

commandos are a big investment for brits, sniper and mortar also.

sniper costs 360 btw
4 Sep 2015, 10:28 AM

commandos are a big investment for brits, sniper and mortar also.

sniper costs 360 btw

On top of that other armies have their main infantry cost 240-235.

The only other one which have 280 cost, well, guess what, have menpower problems, though not as early and officers make up for decreased map presence at beggining.
4 Sep 2015, 10:39 AM

# 1: removing it completely from the game.

It's never going to happen man.. No use in even proposing this.
4 Sep 2015, 11:27 AM

the problem is also that it fires automatically. if it had only barrage like the howitzers it would be much more balanced
4 Sep 2015, 13:25 PM

the problem is also that it fires automatically. if it had only barrage like the howitzers it would be much more balanced

Its not a howitzer. Its a mortar. All mortars fire automatically.

And if you're going this way, even pack HOWITZER have auto fire.
4 Sep 2015, 17:10 PM

Its not a howitzer. Its a mortar. All mortars fire automatically.

And if you're going this way, even pack HOWITZER have auto fire.

that's the point. with its range and damage output it's more like an howitzer. and pack howi at least needs a bit of micro and is not an indestructable mess which does all the work from alone
4 Sep 2015, 18:37 PM

People say that the 400mp is a lot.

It costs what 120mm used to cost.

Yeah it doesn't move, but the 120mm especially due to its range usually doesn't have to move except for arti, which british emplacements typically do not care about at all. Depending on map this effect is usually amplified.

It seems special effort was made to eliminate the specific drawbacks to being an immobile with the British, by making their hard counters ineffectual. This is more frustrating to gameplay than it is diverse or dynamic imo.
4 Sep 2015, 18:46 PM
Donator 22

The mortar pit will lead to undynamic and campy gameplay. Something CoH2 doesn't stand for at all. People will rush to it and use it in a way which isn't very fun. Maps like Ettelbrück and Crossing in the Woods are predestined for exploiting its power.

Why not, All I see since the patch is OKW/wher spamming mortar and support gun (You know, the thing with massive range and snipe ability). Why UKF can't have it too ?
4 Sep 2015, 18:58 PM

The thing is useless against Ost. They barrage you with their mortar, you use Brace, and it becomes an endless cycle. It just becomes a target nothing more. Against a turtling OKW player its ok but you're much better off building a Bofors anyway.
4 Sep 2015, 19:04 PM

that's the point. with its range and damage output it's more like an howitzer. and pack howi at least needs a bit of micro and is not an indestructable mess which does all the work from alone

It have a range and damage output of a mortar.
2 mortars actually, that goes for pop and cost as well, all while being immobile.
4 Sep 2015, 19:05 PM

Permanently Banned
Give ost braced structures for same cost. Shouldn't be a problem now that allies have all the same tanks and equipment statwise to contend or beat german armor? Oh wait, brace OP for evil nazis huhu my bad.
5 Sep 2015, 15:49 PM

Give ost braced structures for same cost. Shouldn't be a problem now that allies have all the same tanks and equipment statwise to contend or beat german armor? Oh wait, brace OP for evil nazis huhu my bad.

If you love brace and want to brace your structures, just play the bloody Brits.

The mortar pit annoys me, brace annoys me, just like any strong part of every faction when I'm playing against them. The thing is they don't lack their own weaknesses either. I don't want each army to be homogenous; the strength and weakness of each army is endearing to itself.

So tired of people asking for identical buffs to every unit when that has never been this game in any fashion, shape or form.
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS