Login

russian armor

Recommended WW2 reads

2 Aug 2015, 00:22 AM

I had this one guy recommend me that since i go crazy for ww2 stuff that i should read these 2 books called "Infantry Aces" and "Tigers in the Mud" can any1 else (the moderators and admins included) give me recommended ww2 reads that are really interesting and good that would be great =)
2 Aug 2015, 00:32 AM

I'll second Tigers in the Mud. There's a lot of facts about Tiger crews in that book that detail just how superior they were to Russian or American tank crews.
2 Aug 2015, 00:55 AM

All of Sven Hassel books...seriously,they have everything from romance,adventure to gore,war,drama
2 Aug 2015, 01:05 AM

With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge is a must read. The definitive WW2 Pacific Theater memoir, IMO, and probably my favourite military memoir to date. I've yet to find someone who so humanly captures the horror as Sledge did in his writing.
2 Aug 2015, 01:09 AM

With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge is a must read. The definitive WW2 Pacific Theatermemoir, IMO, and probably my favourite military memoir to date. I've yet to find someone who so humanly captures the horror as Sledge did in his writing.

if i am not mistaken that book was adapted into an epic miniseries called The Pacific I watched and have a DVD of it =)
2 Aug 2015, 01:12 AM

if i am not mistaken that book was adapted into an epic miniseries called The Pacific I watched and have a DVD of it =)

Sure was.
I went and read all the books the miniseries was based off after watching it. Robert Leckie's Helmet for my Pillow is also a great read.
2 Aug 2015, 08:33 AM
Donator 11

The liberator about a U.S. Officer in an infantry regiment which travelled further than any other and was the first into dachau. It's excellent as a soldiers account but also helped me flesh out details of Anzio and the campaign in southern France which broader accounts have failed to do for me. It's also an extraordinary story if survival and very readable and entertaining to boot. Written by Alex kershaw.

For large scale analysis Absolute War about soviet/axis war was fascinating focusing on the ideological nature of the eastern front battle and how the two powers handled it. I know Quinn Duffy drew on this heavily - it includes the account of a t34 ram destroying a tiger and has a lot of detail on the stuff that our Russian friends found so objectionable due to their referencing in game.
2 Aug 2015, 08:43 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Moving to the Library
2 Aug 2015, 09:16 AM

Snow and Steel : The Battle of the Bulge, 1944-45
Darby's Rangers: We Led the Way
Storming Eagles: German Airborne Forces in World War II
Monty and Rommel: Parallel Lives
Band of Brothers
Beyond Band of Brothers-this one is by Dick Winters
Hitler's Fortress Cherbourg: The Conquest of a Bastion

That's all I can get off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned yet.
2 Aug 2015, 09:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Aug 2015, 08:33 AMArray
The liberator about a U.S. Officer in an infantry regiment which travelled further than any other and was the first into dachau. It's excellent as a soldiers account but also helped me flesh out details of Anzio and the campaign in southern France which broader accounts have failed to do for me. It's also an extraordinary story if survival and very readable and entertaining to boot. Written by Alex kershaw.

For large scale analysis Absolute War about soviet/axis war was fascinating focusing on the ideological nature of the eastern front battle and how the two powers handled it. I know Quinn Duffy drew on this heavily - it includes the account of a t34 ram destroying a tiger and has a lot of detail on the stuff that our Russian friends found so objectionable due to their referencing in game.

What the Russian population found objectionable (and with good reason) is that fact that the campaign focuses on all the negative aspects of the Red Army while calling itself Company of Heroes.
Contrast that with the campaigns in the original game and even Ardennes Assault. Not a singe mention of anything but heroism.
2 Aug 2015, 09:32 AM
Donator 11

Ulaire - I don't wish to reopen this argument - Ill just say that I have sympathy with the Russian position
2 Aug 2015, 11:23 AM

What the Russian population found objectionable (and with good reason) is that fact that the campaign focuses on all the negative aspects of the Red Army while calling itself Company of Heroes.
Contrast that with the campaigns in the original game and even Ardennes Assault. Not a singe mention of anything but heroism.

IIRC the campaign showed the leadership being shit most of the time, not the ordinary soldiers, hence Company of Heroes still applies I think.
2 Aug 2015, 12:15 PM

Company Commander by Charles McDonald.

It is not well written but it is a great look at the life of a US infantry company from Oct. '44 through. McDonald wrote it right after the war and this is why it is a valuable account. It is also his youth and inexperience as a writer that makes it a bit of a dry read.

He doesn't have axes to grind or a reputation he is trying to protect or redeem. He seems to just be trying to tell the story and do it with as much detail as possible. (required reading at West Point).

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Commander-Classic-Infantry-Memoir/dp/1580800386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438517469&sr=8-1&keywords=company+commander
2 Aug 2015, 13:47 PM

IIRC the campaign showed the leadership being shit most of the time, not the ordinary soldiers, hence Company of Heroes still applies I think.

Not really. It showed them as forced and unwilling, and thus as either suckers or victims. It was both ridiculous and spiteful.

I played the CoH1 campaign something like 5 times, but CoH2's was just too vile to get through even once.
2 Aug 2015, 15:09 PM

Not really. It showed them as forced and unwilling, and thus as either suckers or victims. It was both ridiculous and spiteful.

I played the CoH1 campaign something like 5 times, but CoH2's was just too vile to get through even once.

Ah right, fair enough.

I agree it got really ridiculous at some points (the cutscenes in the gulag rofl), I'm by no means saying it's very good.
2 Aug 2015, 19:43 PM

Moving to the Library

thanks i had no idea where to put this so i just randomize thank you once again =)
2 Aug 2015, 20:20 PM

Ah right, fair enough.

I agree it got really ridiculous at some points (the cutscenes in the gulag rofl), I'm by no means saying it's very good.

The part where you burn down the village with the civilians still inside their homes had me rolling. It was so ludicrous.
The part in Stalingrad where the commissar executes a bunch of soldiers for rescuing their decorated war hero captain was a close second.
How anyone though these were "heroic" is beyond me.
2 Aug 2015, 20:34 PM

Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy - Fucking awesome book and I know the guy who wrote it as well
2 Aug 2015, 20:43 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Were the Spielberger Books translated into English? If yes I would recommend to check them out if you are interested in the technical side of German Tanks
4 Aug 2015, 17:47 PM

here's my reading list :

one or two its not about ww2
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 12
unknown 3
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W