Login

russian armor

tofu :- Pheenyx;USFMain86;Steel;rush;Fearless Stalker;tanju

12 Aug 2015, 10:30 AM

I got a question. I haven't had much time to play in a while (My brother's using my account mainly for now) so there's no replay but when I get a Command PIV do you suggest skipping T3 and going pak x2/3, going T4 or getting T3 eventually?
12 Aug 2015, 12:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2015, 08:56 AMrush

I don't mind losing when being outplayed but i do mind losing when having played better than my opponent i never complained about blobs , but when my at guns never penetrates it sux and when i can't deal with ostheer turtling because i have no mortar it's not my fault .
Anw im always playing flame rifle blob now as usf it's the only way to win it seems.
thanks for the comments and the tips XD.

You can see other USF's tactics through my twitch channel (I'm not advertising ;))
12 Aug 2015, 12:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2015, 10:30 AMsteel
I got a question. I haven't had much time to play in a while (My brother's using my account mainly for now) so there's no replay but when I get a Command PIV do you suggest skipping T3 and going pak x2/3, going T4 or getting T3 eventually?

Generally Speaking,T4 is better than T3.However sometimes you can't afford to step up.
The important thing is that your opponent will try to kill Command Tank to get map control and you have to find what kind of units can counter it.

I have to say that this question doesn't have an answer because if enemy goes to anti-tank gun spam,your Panther(and StugG) will be useless and if enemy goes to Su-85,Panther(and StugG) will be better than brumbear(and P4).

So it is important to think "why should I make this" when you are playing.

Personally,I often go to T3 and make P4.That's fast way and P4 is a multipurpose unit.
14 Aug 2015, 03:22 AM

To Pheenyx,USFMain86

How's everything?

If you have no questions,I'll receive additonal mentees because many people are waiting.

You can still ask me anything but my reply will be late.
14 Aug 2015, 09:03 AM
14 Aug 2015, 10:10 AM

http://www.coh2.org/replay/38377/winning-replay
this is a winning game but i still want feedback . thanks a lot.
15 Aug 2015, 06:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 09:03 AMrush
http://www.coh2.org/replay/38372/i-feel-im-improving-but-i-stil-have-a-long-way-to-go

I think your build order become good and you are getting used to move your unit simultaneously.

So it's time to talk about the detail.

• Your first Pioneer squad can be used as a combat unit.It can be recommended to stay close to your first Grenadier squad."Close" means each unit can help each other when the first Riflemen(or Conscripts) comes.This feeling of distance should be also kept between your first Grenadier squad and your second Grenadier squad,and between your second Grenadier squad and your third Grenadier squad.
    This is because basic unit of Allies is stronger than its counterpart of German.
    (Even a Conscript squad is stronger than grenadiers because they can use "Ура" to control the distance.)

• Your decision of 222 Scout Car was good.Your opponent divided their units in two.So,moving around the map in light vehicle for hit & run is a good tactics.Furthermore,Your opponent couldn't deploy (or too late at least)Stuart because (s)he picked Lieutenant.If you used 222 more smoothly,you could win the game.You can focus more on light vehicles to use aggresive way.

• MG and Pak should be attached to your main force.Leaving it at the rear isn't a good idea.The ideal image is below.

• 222 and Pioneer (or wounded Grenadier):
      Moving around the map to drive away enemy's detachment.Your weak infantry will just capture territory.
    • Grenadier squad and MG and Pak(Your main force):
      Attack enemy's significant territory and cut their resource.

This is effective only when your vehicle is stronger than emeny's anti-tank unit like AT guns and Tank destroyers or so.(If your opponent has stronger vehicle,only you can do is sticking your units together.)

• Sometimes shooting panzerfaust before retreating is effective to stop enemy's tanks.It wastes your ammunition,but if not,your retreating units may be chased and wiped out.
    (This is why I recommended to stick units together when your opponent has stronger tanks.)

• 10.5cm artillery is a good idea especially when your opponent doesn't have off-map artillery in his/her doctrine.I think you will be better if you can put teller mines in case enemy's tanks assault your base.(You put it but it was too close to your base and quantity was not enough.)

• If you had enough manpower,you could have deployed many tanks(P4s and Stugs).Your opponent were good at cut your MP.Remember E8 attacked and killed your straying units.
15 Aug 2015, 15:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2015, 06:27 AMtofu

I think your build order become good and you are getting used to move your unit simultaneously.

So it's time to talk about the detail.

• Your first Pioneer squad can be used as a combat unit.It can be recommended to stay close to your first Grenadier squad."Close" means each unit can help each other when the first Riflemen(or Conscripts) comes.This feeling of distance should be also kept between your first Grenadier squad and your second Grenadier squad,and between your second Grenadier squad and your third Grenadier squad.
    This is because basic unit of Allies is stronger than its counterpart of German.
    (Even a Conscript squad is stronger than grenadiers because they can use "Ура" to control the distance.)

• Your decision of 222 Scout Car was good.Your opponent divided their units in two.So,moving around the map in light vehicle for hit & run is a good tactics.Furthermore,Your opponent couldn't deploy (or too late at least)Stuart because (s)he picked Lieutenant.If you used 222 more smoothly,you could win the game.You can focus more on light vehicles to use aggresive way.

• MG and Pak should be attached to your main force.Leaving it at the rear isn't a good idea.The ideal image is below.

• 222 and Pioneer (or wounded Grenadier):
      Moving around the map to drive away enemy's detachment.Your weak infantry will just capture territory.
    • Grenadier squad and MG and Pak(Your main force):
      Attack enemy's significant territory and cut their resource.

This is effective only when your vehicle is stronger than emeny's anti-tank unit like AT guns and Tank destroyers or so.(If your opponent has stronger vehicle,only you can do is sticking your units together.)

• Sometimes shooting panzerfaust before retreating is effective to stop enemy's tanks.It wastes your ammunition,but if not,your retreating units may be chased and wiped out.
    (This is why I recommended to stick units together when your opponent has stronger tanks.)

• 10.5cm artillery is a good idea especially when your opponent doesn't have off-map artillery in his/her doctrine.I think you will be better if you can put teller mines in case enemy's tanks assault your base.(You put it but it was too close to your base and quantity was not enough.)

• If you had enough manpower,you could have deployed many tanks(P4s and Stugs).Your opponent were good at cut your MP.Remember E8 attacked and killed your straying units.

I feel that i had a tough time dealing with flamerifle blob so i was bleeding so hard on mp .he kept moving his entire blob at the same time in
My mg's arc of fire and i surpressed and killed some models, i also killed 7 shermans that game and he won the game only because his flameblob was too much for me to deal with.
I shouldve gone for a second mg and a mortar
I also needed a bbrumbarr and a panther to kil
16 Aug 2015, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2015, 15:15 PMrush

I feel that i had a tough time dealing with flamerifle blob so i was bleeding so hard on mp .he kept moving his entire blob at the same time in
My mg's arc of fire and i surpressed and killed some models, i also killed 7 shermans that game and he won the game only because his flameblob was too much for me to deal with.
I shouldve gone for a second mg and a mortar
I also needed a bbrumbarr and a panther to kil

It's a good idea to make 2nd MG and Mortar.

Many people(I feel most of them are 1000+ ranked player) are in trouble over dealing with blob.
In fact,I was often asked the way of countering it.For me,it's not so difficult.

The most important thing is that you MUST NOT wipe your units out.Killing units before retreating is the key points of blob tactics.All players who are faced with blob have shorter time to retreat so many people missed best timing for retreating.

It is recommended that you should avoid fighting against blob.Your units can run away from it as soon as you can see.
You may think you can't win the game unless you beat enemy's main force.BUT WHO SAID THAT?

If you are interested in history,you can remember "Second Punic War"(known as The Hannibalic War,218-201 BC),or remember the battle against Napoleon Bonaparte(French Emperor).These two men were really really really outstanding and their army were tooooo strong.In relic words,they were OP.So,how Roman Republic beat Hannibal Barca?How European countries won against French hero?

In fact,they avoided fighting.Roman didn't do head on battle against Hannibal(even though his army were close to Roma).They cut his resource,cut his reinforcement,and threatened his hometown.These were all led to weaken his main force and finally Hannibal lost map control.It was the best time for Roma to make frontal attack.
European countries took the same strategy against Napoleon.They ran away from the Emperor but they were pleased to fight against his subordinate.Anybody couldn't win against Napoleon(he was No.1),but his mate were not No.1 player so it was reasonable to wipe his mate first.

You can learn from the history.You don't need to face blob.If your opponent stick 5 units together,you can scatter 5 units around the map.This means your will lose 1 territory,but you will get 5 territory instead.
In fact,blob is not a effective way to capture territories.As I mentioned above,it's the way to kill units.

So,when should you attack enemy?
In many games you will see the blob corps breaks up to capture territories.It's the best time.Now they are not blobbing.Attack them one by one.
Other annoying ways are useing riflegrenade,mortar,222(keep shooting,keep going back),StugE...and so on but remember you don't need to head on.
16 Aug 2015, 12:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2015, 03:53 AMtofu

It's a good idea to make 2nd MG and Mortar.

Many people(I feel most of them are 1000+ ranked player) are in trouble over dealing with blob.
In fact,I was often asked the way of countering it.For me,it's not so difficult.

The most important thing is that you MUST NOT wipe your units out.Killing units before retreating is the key points of blob tactics.All players who are faced with blob have shorter time to retreat so many people missed best timing for retreating.

It is recommended that you should avoid fighting against blob.Your units can run away from it as soon as you can see.
You may think you can't win the game unless you beat enemy's main force.BUT WHO SAID THAT?

If you are interested in history,you can remember "Second Punic War"(known as The Hannibalic War,218-201 BC),or remember the battle against Napoleon Bonaparte(French Emperor).These two men were really really really outstanding and their army were tooooo strong.In relic words,they were OP.So,how Roman Republic beat Hannibal Barca?How European countries won against French hero?

In fact,they avoided fighting.Roman didn't do head on battle against Hannibal(even though his army were close to Roma).They cut his resource,cut his reinforcement,and threatened his hometown.These were all led to weaken his main force and finally Hannibal lost map control.It was the best time for Roma to make frontal attack.
European countries took the same strategy against Napoleon.They ran away from the Emperor but they were pleased to fight against his subordinate.Anybody couldn't win against Napoleon(he was No.1),but his mate were not No.1 player so it was reasonable to wipe his mate first.

You can learn from the history.You don't need to face blob.If your opponent stick 5 units together,you can scatter 5 units around the map.This means your will lose 1 territory,but you will get 5 territory instead.
In fact,blob is not a effective way to capture territories.As I mentioned above,it's the way to kill units.

So,when should you attack enemy?
In many games you will see the blob corps breaks up to capture territories.It's the best time.Now they are not blobbing.Attack them one by one.
Other annoying ways are useing riflegrenade,mortar,222(keep shooting,keep going back),StugE...and so on but remember you don't need to head on.

That actually makes sense XD.
i will try and keep that in mind next game.
thanks for the tips.
17 Aug 2015, 02:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 10:10 AMrush
http://www.coh2.org/replay/38377/winning-replay
this is a winning game but i still want feedback . thanks a lot.

gg!

I think fast Stuart was most valuable unit in this game.
It brought you map control,meaning you got lots of resources than your opponents.Keep going!

And some suggestions are below.

• You can get grenade.
    If there are two (or more) MGs,it's reasonable to get grenade upgrade.Let's compare MP.

• You don't need AT so fast.
    It is because your opponent made Battlegroup Headquarters first,and you destroyed Schwerer Panzer Headquarters before completing it.This means your opponent can't make any tanks.In this situation,any tanks will do its job because there are no counter way except for AT gun.

• Use off-map artillery(phosphorous smoke).
    Rifle Company Doctrine has a phosphorous smoke and it's very very effective in team weapon such as MG and AT guns.
    So you should make 2 Stuart or fast Sherman and rush enemy's frontline.If there are MGs or AT guns,use phosphorous smoke.
    When you use it against MG,your infantry will break enemy's frontline and when you use it against AT guns,your tanks will terminate the game.

• It's a bad habit to use your tank alone in order to charge enemy's front.
    You don't need to take risks.I think your infantry are more qualified to do that job.
17 Aug 2015, 22:55 PM

http://www.coh2.org/replay/38517/i-consider-myself-lucky-to-win-please-give-me-your-feedback.

This was a very close game and it coul've gone either way imo.
this is what i struggle with as usf , how to follow up on a good early game .
Thank you for your time tofu.
18 Aug 2015, 12:52 PM

Hello, I came to know that you are looking for a 2nd wave of mentees so, here I am.

1. Steam ID: 76561198069591236
2. History of RTS/FPS games: CoH2 is my very first RTS game. I played a lot of FPS though. I play CS:GO, played most of the COD series and Battlefield series.
3. Level of touch typing: Somewhere between A and B.
4. Average amount of play time per week: Minimum 5 hours a week.
5. My factions and play mode: Allies – Sov, Axis – OKW, Play mode – 2v2.
6. Problems that I know of: slow reaction times, bad at dodging grenades, forgetting of the squad sent outside screen.
7. Goal to this program: Top 100 as axis in team of 2.
19 Aug 2015, 07:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Aug 2015, 22:55 PMrush
http://www.coh2.org/replay/38517/i-consider-myself-lucky-to-win-please-give-me-your-feedback.

This was a very close game and it coul've gone either way imo.
this is what i struggle with as usf , how to follow up on a good early game .
Thank you for your time tofu.

gg!

I think your movement in the early game is not so bad.
But I also think you become dull from mid game.

First,you need to become clever.You don't have to attack your opponent openly.You can attack from side or back.I give an example.

Map:Minsk
Time:9minutes
Your faction/doctrine/units:USF/Rifle Company(CP4)/4 Rifles with flames,1 Captain,1 Rear Echelon,1 ambulance,1 Stuart(making)
Enemy faction/doctrine/units:WM/Close Air Support/5 Grenadiers with 4 LMGs,1 Mortar,1 Pak

Situation:
You and your enemey were in big battle around central VP zone and your riflemen were badly injured by Mortar.You also saw Pak.
All of your units retreated.Your units took heavy damage but you were successful in damaging Grenadiers(no one retreating though).
After your units retruned to your base,you healed,reinforced your units and Stuart came.

Then,you noticed wounded 3 Grenadiers were decapturing your fuel point.And you also saw 1 Grenadier was decapturing your territory point which is between Munitions point and fuel point.You didn't know where remaing 1 Grenadier squad was.

So, how should you do?

Many people think it's easy to turn these Grenadiers away so they decide to make frontal attack.
5 Rfilemen with Stuart blob go to fuel point at first,defeat 3 Grenadiers and then go to the territory point,rout 1 Grenadiers.
After that,your Captain and Rear Echelon are going to decapture these points.
They also think like that "The last Grenadier squad may retreat or went to my VP point, but it's not so important because he can't beat this blob haha"

Is this wrong?

It's an idea.However,I have better one.(please see picture → )

If I'm faced with this situation,I'll divide my army into three.
At first,1 Riflemen squad,Captain,and Rear Echelon go to the territory point(this is 1st division),and then,3 Riflemen squads make frontal attack(2nd division).
My Stuart hides itself behind the bush.This is spice(3rd division).

I think my 3 Riflemen can win against 3 wounded Grenadiers.If it seems hard,I'll send 1st division as reinforcement.When my opponent runs away,it's Show Time.

"Hidden Stuart starts to chase them.It keeps pace with retreating units,looks like NEVER allow them to return to their hometown.1st Grenadier is wiped out around central VP,Stuart is still chasing.
And look!Pak shoots and hit but he NEVER stops to chase.3rd division runs throght PAK and 2nd Grenadier squad is down.And the last Grenadier is passing fuel zone,seems like he is protected by RNG GOD.They took little damage.
Almost!Almost!The base bunker is near.And...Stuart NEVER stop chasing!Finally the shell wipes Grenadier out!"

While caster shouting like above,my 1st and 2nd division attacked PAK and capture it.So they lost 3 Grenadier squads and Pak.
This is clever.You have to maximize your return from each situation.

Losing a battle of central VP was not good thing for you,but even bad situation might give you benefit.
In this case,wounded Grenadiers are far apart from their base and your opponent doesn't know Stuart comes.
You know there is only 1 Pak around VP,it's not enough to kill Stuart.And you don't need to afraid of tanks cause it's not time.You should think about teller mine but there isn't Pioneer so it's less likely to set teller mine,especially on central path.

I think you are good at using Stuart,so please remember this clever chasing.Wiping units out is the worst thing for Axis side.

Second advice is more simple.Bazooka is useful especially when there are tank destroyers such as Jagdtiger and StugG.Rifle blob with Bazooka & Flame is simple but hard to counter it.

19 Aug 2015, 08:26 AM

Hello, I came to know that you are looking for a 2nd wave of mentees so, here I am.

1. Steam ID: 76561198069591236
2. History of RTS/FPS games: CoH2 is my very first RTS game. I played a lot of FPS though. I play CS:GO, played most of the COD series and Battlefield series.
3. Level of touch typing: Somewhere between A and B.
4. Average amount of play time per week: Minimum 5 hours a week.
5. My factions and play mode: Allies – Sov, Axis – OKW, Play mode – 2v2.
6. Problems that I know of: slow reaction times, bad at dodging grenades, forgetting of the squad sent outside screen.
7. Goal to this program: Top 100 as axis in team of 2.

Welcome!!!

I add you on steam so please recieve it.
Your career is similar to mine.I began to my career as a FPS gamer.I had played FPS games for 8 years,and then I've changed my interest to RTS games.

As a mentor,I'll add some comment on your replay.So please give me your replay.
In 2v2 mode,victory/defeat often depends on your mate so it's not so important.Please give me your replay when you are in trouble over something(even if your team won).

I don't know your playstyle yet,but I think 400 hours is not enough to use to RTS game.My first RTS game is R.U.S.E,which is easier than COH2,but I have to spend about 800 hours to understand it.

I don't like the word "Learn to play",but your reaction time will improve as you used to this game.

Ohter possibility is that you don't know how to shift the scenes.Maybe you are too concentrating on one battleground.This may cause hitting grenades,forgetting of your squad.

I wrote below for other mentee who is in trouble over multi task,but it may help you,too.

Second,you are needed to deal with multi battlefield.You still spend too much time on one front.
I know you are micromanagement oriented player.Even so,some improvement should be done.I'll give an example Joris and Crazyman as a top-class micromanagement oriented player,they usually use only 3 seconds per front.In a few seconds,they consider the situation,decide the best way to act,and switch thier display at the next battlefront.

Other than previous advice for multi task,I can recommend you below.

• Using "attack move" is one solution for prevention unit loss.
    If you use right clik to move somewhere,your units WILL move there even if KingTiger is nearby.
    But when you use "attack move", your units stop at the edge of their maximan range from KingTiger so your units are less likely to die.
    *I think you can use a hotkey to use "attack move".It will save your time than pressing it by mouse.

• Moving your unit from cover to cover is another good solution.
    As you know,units in garrison receive less damage.So it's less like to die even if your patrol is late.Moving to shortest garrison is recommended to reduce danger.
    *Combined above two tips will help you more.

22 Aug 2015, 14:49 PM

Hello again. I have this replay from last match. I want you to take a look and find what I am missing here. As you don't know my playstyle, this will help you understand.

I do get hesitations with hq placements as okw. I read the guide on OKW HQ placement that's here on coh2.org. But I am still bad with the hq placements.
23 Aug 2015, 00:31 AM
23 Aug 2015, 02:57 AM
Patrion 15

I just wanted to stop by to give some major props to Tofu. The work you've put in here is amazing! Keep it up man, the community needs more guys like you :)
23 Aug 2015, 07:03 AM

Hello again. I have this replay from last match. I want you to take a look and find what I am missing here. As you don't know my playstyle, this will help you understand.

I do get hesitations with hq placements as okw. I read the guide on OKW HQ placement that's here on coh2.org. But I am still bad with the hq placements.

gg!

First of all,you should learn when to fight and when to retreat.
When I watched your replay,I felt you tended to fight against dominant enemy.
The basic strategy of RTS game is you have to run away when you are faced with stronger opponent because your resource(I mean manpower) is reduced on that condition.

So,from this point of view,it's wrong that your Volksgrenadier squad stays in battleground when 2 Riflemen squads come and it's worse that your Sturmpionier squad rushes 3 Riflemen squads in green cover.

The feeling of winning/losing is important.You can fight only when you feel you can win the battle.
To get that feeling,the sense of distance between basic infantry is mandatory.If you don't know how to fight against basic infantry(e.g. Riflemen is a bit stronger than Grenadier in far range and much stronger in near range.),please say so.I'll give additonal information.

Even thought I watched only 1 replay,I start to think your reaction time is not so bad.However,you don't understand the timing of retreat,and it makes your squad die.

The Second problem is the placement of HQs.There are some simple principles below.
  • Don't be destroyed.
  • Be useful for you.
  • Be useful for your mate.

The first principle is the most important.The second is more important than third one.
So,it's not so bad to build your HQs in your starting position.It meets all principles on almost all of the map(though it meets two principles on Ralis and Metal.).

Many people tend to set his HQs(especially Schwerer Panzer Headquarters) at the frontline but it goes against the first term!IT IS DESTROYED EASILY.

You may think you saw some high ranked players placed their HQs at the front,but I know they can calculate the risk and return.High level players tend to move forward until it reaches the break-even point.It can't be imitated easily.

So,if you feel difficult to understand what I'm about to write below,you can learn it some other day.

• The risk and return

You will take big benefit if your HQs are in the frontline.With your HQs,you can get reinforcement,tank repairing,and support attack.So it's reasonable to build them forward if they are not destroyed by your opponent.However,unluckily,your enemy will attack your HQs and once your HQs are wracked,you can't recieve any help,even though you back into your base.The HQs of OKW are also have the role of making units,so it's a big loss when you are destroyed them.

So,where should OKW player set your HQs?We all know we'll get more benefit to build them forward,but we can't believe ourself our opponents don't have enough force to counter.

In order to answer this problem,I took the idea of disaster risk reduction.Building HQs in your starting position will minimize the risk of disaster.But it also reduces your benefit.So I suggest the adaptable way.

• (e.g. balanced way of risk and return.)

Please look at right picture.
    The blue and green rectangle is the proposed site for placement.These sites are protected by bush or house so your opponent is hard to see and attack this place.This place is weak when it's attacked from sides,but you can probably defend because it's very near to your starting position.
    You also understand this site is useful for you and your mate so it meets full principles.
    This is what I mean "balanced site of risk and return".
    (FYI,blue site is more durable than green.)

The picture below is another example.

This is more dangerous site.These position will give you a bigger advantage,but these are fragile by the attack from central VP point.And you have to consider you can't take little benefit when you go to the left fuel point.

If you want to build thse site,please see below picture.

Purple one will be better than bule and green.It still may be attacked from right VP,but it's more durable because of inclination.

Many things left unsaid,but I think it can turn to next time.Please give me other replays!
23 Aug 2015, 07:15 AM

I just wanted to stop by to give some major props to Tofu. The work you've put in here is amazing! Keep it up man, the community needs more guys like you :)

Thank you :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 24
Peru 5
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %