Login

russian armor

My impressions so far

9 Jun 2013, 06:01 AM

I'm very pleased with the game as is, I've got about 100 hours in all the iterations but my impressions for this current balance patch are as follows: (mostly from 2v2 experience btw)

Ostwinds need to have their armor penetration taken way down, or be less effective for infantry. A few times I've seen the Ostheer players just spam 3-4 ostwinds and then lol all the way to the win. Infantry melts and Ostwinds penetrate on front t-34 armor more often than I could believe. IMO Ostwinds should be nigh on useless for taking on armor ( like the Ostwind doing 25% damage to the ISU-152s rear armor)

Abilities need to trigger sometime near when I tell them to go off. I understand that it takes the conscript a while to get the AT grenade out of his bag, but I've had incidents where I tell them to throw a grenade and 10 seconds and 5 squad members later there was no grenade and everyone is dead. Also, I assume the penal battalion has a range on the satchel charge for a reason, but more often than not they hump what ever I throw it at and then huddle over the explosion to keep warm despite my desperate clicking telling them to run away.

Finally, can we path vehicles not to run over fires? My tanks take a perverse pleasure in ensuring all my infantry will freeze.

I'd like to see what everyone else thinks about this. Thx.
9 Jun 2013, 11:17 AM
Donator 11

Run over fires is ok. That means you can run over opponents fire and micro well not to run over yours.
9 Jun 2013, 21:03 PM

I get running over opponents fires, but I can't micro every vehicle coming up from the rear. The fire's seem to be the smallest part of this post though.

Ostwind penetration is a bit silly. It's a 30mm flak cannon, and it is amazing vs infantry and aircraft and light vehicles.. all of which make perfect sense, and give the unit some nice versatility. What it should NOT be able to do is penetrate armor of medium and heavy vehicles. I've watched penetrating shots on T-34 front armor, and ISU-152 side/rear armor, and that just doesn't make sense to me. In a 2v2 match-up I've watched 3-4 of these things maraud around the map eating up anything and everything.

The spirit of the game, as evidenced by all the patching and balancing of the first COH, is toward intelligent use of proper force mix, countering and reacting to tactical and strategic decisions.. Not spamming one unit and plowing through everyone else.
10 Jun 2013, 10:47 AM

I noticed last night, the enemy had an Ostwind out. I thought, 'No problem, my stug will pound this'. (Inadvertent mirror match). The Ostwind won. :(
10 Jun 2013, 11:34 AM

I noticed last night, the enemy had an Ostwind out. I thought, 'No problem, my stug will pound this'. (Inadvertent mirror match). The Ostwind won. :(

Ostwinds beating stugs, AC's beating t34. All of that in the name of "realism".
10 Jun 2013, 12:04 PM

The spirit of the game, as evidenced by all the patching and balancing of the first COH, is toward intelligent use of proper force mix, countering and reacting to tactical and strategic decisions.. Not spamming one unit and plowing through everyone else.

You ever considered relic devs made the game for themselves not for the vcoh players? This includes mindless blobbing, arty spam and abusive gameplay, because it gets rewarded. Look at opposing fronts...
10 Jun 2013, 12:49 PM

That's actually quite insulting.
10 Jun 2013, 12:58 PM

10 Jun 2013, 13:10 PM

Well I just feel that saying that the Relic devs making the game for themselves, and not people who play the game, pretty short sighted, fairly narrow minded and more than a little immature. That and the fact they are clearly working hard on the game and also clearly incorporating a lot of the feedback given on this (and sega forums) site. The balancing is always going to be tricky, and as the stats change, people who play regularly will always find a weak spot, leading to a potential strat that invovles spamming 1 unit that is now perceived to be OP, or any of a number of other methods.

People naturally poke and push at boundaries, and when a hole is found, is exploited. Saying that these holes are deliberately designed into the game is ludicrous.

I'd be insulted if some random rocked up and dismissed the last year's worth of effort from me as being self-serving.

Do you not think that these [the devs] are people and they will be totally stoked that other people get great pleasure from playing something that they've had a hand in creating?

What you said would be a slap in the face.
10 Jun 2013, 13:30 PM

Maybe im not narrow viewed but you are. As past events showed, relic lacked support and didnt give much about the opinions of their players. The Sega forum is a joke. Even Noun said at one point, Devs barely read it, since they have better things to do and dont know how to use the information anyways (alpha test).
"Making the game for themselves" maybe the wrong term, more like "not caring about criticism". In the end it still means the same, because thats what you get. Im not talking about stats btw. Those can´t be perfect at that stage of the game.
I guess you are too sensible...
10 Jun 2013, 15:38 PM

Are you talking about 'entitlement'?

It doesn't exist, sorry.
10 Jun 2013, 16:20 PM

A large reason why they may not know what to do with the forum information is evident here. Instead of useful insight or discussion forum posters often resort to lashing out and inflammatory statements.

The Dev team has balanced and balanced the previous iteration to stop exploitation of weaknesses or oversights (the pio spam debuff from CoH1 comes to mind). They have responded to the community. I wouldn't expect them to troll around the forums all day, I would expect them to check up on them, find the prevailing thoughts, and invest the majority if their time into development.
10 Jun 2013, 18:08 PM

A large reason why they may not know what to do with the forum information is evident here. Instead of useful insight or discussion forum posters often resort to lashing out and inflammatory statements.

The Dev team has balanced and balanced the previous iteration to stop exploitation of weaknesses or oversights (the pio spam debuff from CoH1 comes to mind). They have responded to the community. I wouldn't expect them to troll around the forums all day, I would expect them to check up on them, find the prevailing thoughts, and invest the majority if their time into development.

^^
1 of 3 Relic postsRelic 10 Jun 2013, 18:32 PM

As past events showed, relic lacked support and didnt give much about the opinions of their players.

Apart from the six years we spent patching the original Company of Heroes based largely on community feedback. I'm sure there's other studios that do that, but not a lot. The last patch to CoH was in fact largely based on feedback from players in the GameReplays community (many of whom are now on this site).

If your specific feedback didn't get listened to, we're sorry but we can only take so many suggestion. Especially when much of that is contradictory. We have to make decisions based on what we know about the game, and what we know about the knowledge of the players who are giving the feedback.

The Sega forum is a joke.

Sorry you don't like the SEGA forums. They were incredibly helpful.

Even Noun said at one point, Devs barely read it, since they have better things to do and dont know how to use the information anyways (alpha test).

If this were a Phoenix Wright game I'd pound the table and shout objection before pointing out that:
a) we didn't use the SEGA forums for the alpha test since THQ was the owner of Relic at that point
b) I was working at EA on NHL 13, SSX and UFC and not at Relic to say anything of the sort that that point
c) I never said anything like that, so please don't put words in my mouth

Don't wait for the translation!

I can't speak to the alpha test, not having been there, but the the SEGA forums were incredibly valuable for the beta test.

"Making the game for themselves" maybe the wrong term, more like "not caring about criticism".

Not true. As stated, and demonstrated over the years.

If your specific feedback wasn't listened to, again that's unfortunate but we can't implement every idea. Otherwise we'd be making a unit both more powerful and less powerful at the same time.
10 Jun 2013, 21:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2013, 18:32 PMNoun

If your specific feedback wasn't listened to, again that's unfortunate but we can't implement every idea. Otherwise we'd be making a unit both more powerful and less powerful at the same time.

Hey Relic, to quote one of your previous Devs, BCKorn: "Dear COH Community, you guys can suck my ballz". Here is an idea for you to implement: suck your own balls. Maybe you will find them tasty.
10 Jun 2013, 22:17 PM

You ever considered relic devs made the game for themselves not for the vcoh players? This includes mindless blobbing, arty spam and abusive gameplay, because it gets rewarded. Look at opposing fronts...

You more than likely never got out of the low levels. There were always counters to these things. l2p.

Also, to say that the devs made this game for themselves is insane and highly illogical. Most of the people here were likley in the closed beta sega forum, talking with the devs and suggesting improvements, most of which were actually implied. From changes including the UI, doctrines, blizzards, tactical map, armies, mirror matches, OP units, maps, and a lot more.. your claims simply hold no value and you have no evidence to back this up aside from your emotions.
2 of 3 Relic postsRelic 10 Jun 2013, 22:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2013, 21:48 PMHaupt

Hey Relic, to quote one of your previous Devs, BCKorn: "Dear COH Community, you guys can suck my ballz". Here is an idea for you to implement: suck your own balls. Maybe you will find them tasty.

That's a pretty stupid thing to say. I'm not sure who that was, but if that's an accurate quote he's clearly being immature and needlessly insulting. I'm sorry he said that to you.
10 Jun 2013, 23:49 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Hey we don't have to go around putting down sucking on balls, some people enjoy that sort of thing.
3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 11 Jun 2013, 01:39 AM

Hey we don't have to go around putting down sucking on balls, some people enjoy that sort of thing.

Yes, but you shouldn't do that while you're playing. It lowers your clicks per minute rate.
11 Jun 2013, 01:57 AM
Senior Caster Badge

eh it's not like CoH requires much APM except during blizzards when you gotta keep from freezing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 55
Germany 956
Russian Federation 23
Netherlands 21
Netherlands 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L