Login

russian armor

Heavy frame drops. Need help.

14 Jun 2015, 12:24 PM

Achtung Comrades.

My Name is Icestrike and I really love CoH2. For a few months now I have to deal with frame drops down to 2 FPS. No need to say - it makes the game rather unplayable.

First my PC-Data:

First things first: It's a Laptop (I know that's a problem)
HP
Intel core i7
Geforce GT 650M 2GB
8GB RAM (2 x 4)
Windows 8 64 bit

No idea about my Soundcard.
Unfortunately no Porschemotor for me ^_^

All my graphic-settings are low, V-Sinc off and physics off. In fact everything at low. Even the soundquality.

After running the FPS-Check I get results like: Max FPS: 40, Average FPS: 20, Lowest FPS: 2
And its the lowest FPS I am worried about.

I've tried turning of Anti-Vir realtime-scanner. I currently have recording replays at off. I do not run things like Fraps or other games or programms, that are unneccesary, in the background. I've been on forums, which offered solutions. None of that worked. I do not need 60 FPS as avarage. I just need like 10-15 FPS as lowest.

I got no solution at hand, Kameraden.

Uncle Icestrike wants you! for solving the problem :blush:
14 Jun 2015, 12:56 PM

Oh is see what the problem is! You are playing videogames on a laptop!
14 Jun 2015, 13:17 PM

Yes that's right. Forgot to metion that actually, even though its pretty important (gonna edit it in). But that is why I am not asking for high FPS or good graphics. Just for a reduce to the framedrops. There has to be a way to get more than 2 FPS while firing a mortar barrage and looking at it :unsure:
14 Jun 2015, 13:25 PM
Patrion 14

Thats weird. Your laptop is a beast compared to mine, and I run this game with 30 to 50 fps in 1v1's. Never had a framedrop to 2fps...

My specs are:
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 2.60GHz
8GB RAM

But I play the game in 800*600 (100%) and I have turned replays off. Everything else is on low.

I'd say try to turn replays function off and check if this helps. It gave me a huge fps boost, maybe that will fix the minimum fps. How to turn off replays.

Are your drivers up to date? OpieOP

EDIT: I'm using a cooling pad, maybe that does the job :snfCHVGame:

14 Jun 2015, 13:29 PM
Donator 11

It may or may not help but if you have your coh2 installed on hdd drive I would highly recommend defragmentation after every patch. Otherwise big or winter maps are just a nightmare. Its very probable that the lowest fps you got is just the moment at the beginning of the match when the game is still waiting for some disk data. Then it is not video settings dependant. It was the case for me until I started to do what I said earlier and eventually bought a ssd drive.

Ofc if you run it on ssd no care is needed in that regard.
14 Jun 2015, 13:34 PM

Thanks for the answers.

To Stafkeh: I am not recording replays. I found the same side you gave the link for:)
Drivers are up to date as far as I know. So both things seem not to be the problem :unsure:

To ferwiner: I am gonna try that one :)
14 Jun 2015, 15:34 PM

Do you get reasonable FPS in the beginning? Do your frames drop after some time, say 10-15 minutes into the game?
14 Jun 2015, 16:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Since it is a laptop, you should also look at power management settings. If they are set to maximum power saving - or something like that - you are in for trouble when gaming.
14 Jun 2015, 16:33 PM
Patrion 14

overheating? i used to have overheating problem a long time ago and it would lag games to a halt every few dozens of seconds whenever the laptop got to hot.
14 Jun 2015, 17:49 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2015, 15:34 PMKhan
Do you get reasonable FPS in the beginning? Do your frames drop after some time, say 10-15 minutes into the game?

Is there a way to fix that? Or make the fps drop less?
14 Jun 2015, 19:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2015, 17:49 PMStafkeh

Is there a way to fix that? Or make the fps drop less?

Yeah.. If this is happening then your laptop is overheating. Your CPU/GPU will start throttling after a certain temperature threshold to reduce the heat. If you get FPS drops after some time then monitor your GPU/CPU temperatures. You can use MSI Afterburner and Coretemp for this. If it's overheating then the best option would be to get it serviced or something. The most common culprit for overheating is excess dust, especially in laptops. Age also causes overheating.
14 Jun 2015, 21:04 PM

Thank you all for helping me.

To computerheat: I in fact already adjusted my power setting to optimize my Laptop for games. I think it might have something to do with computer-heat :lol: (forgive me that one)

To Khan and pigsoup: Actually FPS are fine early in the game. 10-15 minutes in the game delivers the problems. So it might be overheating. I'll try to fix that problem. Is there a way to fight overheating without getting my Laptop serviced?
14 Jun 2015, 21:09 PM
Patrion 14

open it up and see if there are a lot of dust. buy one of those duster can to blow dust away. and a wet towel.
14 Jun 2015, 21:18 PM

I'm a bit scared to screw around at my Laptop. But i got to try that. I hope it helps. Thank you.
14 Jun 2015, 21:23 PM

You can try to clean up your Laptop as much as you can, if possible open some parts and clean the dust with a hairdryer "on cold". And what i recommend is for you to buy a Laptop cooling pad. This helps a lot to keep the temperature of a laptop lower. It costs like 20-30 €/$.
14 Jun 2015, 21:27 PM
Patrion 14

^ good idea. and don't buy those new cooling gel based pad as opposed to simple fans. they suck and i regret ever buying one of them.
14 Jun 2015, 21:48 PM

Permanently Banned
Since you have an Nvidia graphics card, go to nvidia control panel. select manage 3d settings. Select Company of heroes 2 in the 'select a program to customize:'

set power management mode to 'prefer maximum perforamnce'

close it and see where you stand now.

A laptop always will be inferior for gaming, because it will overheat pretty quickly and thus creating a situation where the GPU and CPU will throttle down to ensure nothing will fry out. It might be an overheating problem as well!
14 Jun 2015, 23:02 PM

Allright comrades,

To Sandreas and pigsoup: Gonna keep that in mind in case a normal cleaning won't help. Thanks for the advice.

To Squeaky Door 96: I changed the settings. Wow, it changed a lot. I got up to somewhere around 10 FPS as lowest. Thanks alot Squeaky Door 96 :lol: Awesome!

I am trying all you tips, though. For a game like CoH2 you have to fight on many fronts, just like ingame :)
14 Jun 2015, 23:44 PM

yeah, i would say the issue lies withing cooling and power management. when you say optimize, do you mean making adjustments or in power options, simply going to maximum power usage? 'cos your right it is on multiple fronts and it's tough to narrow what's being used down.
15 Jun 2015, 09:07 AM

To turbotortoise: Yes, bottom line I just told my Laptop to go to max power usage. Already read that in other QandA-Forums. So I went trying that :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★