Login

russian armor

Just watched the film Fury

26 May 2015, 18:48 PM

I don't know if you guys have seen this film although I'm sure some of you have. The film just doesn't do it for me. If there's a WWII movie/miniseries that's made post 1998 or so (although I watched Das Boot and enjoyed it), I buy it and watch it, unless it's totally fictionalized such as InGlorious Basterds.

I've seen some great WWII films that didn't come off all "America F Yea!!!" like this film did. I got a vague sense it may have been an Anti-War film but wasn't for sure. It really made the Germans out to be these horrible people, but I didn't much care for the first battle scene the Americans committing a horrible war crime against a POW.

Other films, like Letters from Iwo Jima actually did a decent job at humanizing our WWII enemies, which this film did as little as possible.

The end scene was so hokey, the Germans weren't nearly as intelligent as they are in my game. If they were going to massacre several hundred germans in the final battle it should have been a group of dumbass volkssturm parade marching down the road (70 year old men and 9-10 year old boys) rather than seasoned and battle hardened PanzerGrenadiers.

I mean really fighting the immobilized tank in the last scene with Machine guns? They showed that they had several supplies of Panzerfausts, that's about the only thing you should be using on the tank and it's crew, not MG42's and rifle fire. That tanks should have been dead within 1 minute, 2 minutes tops, maybe even within 15-30 seconds when they realized it was still crewed and they intended to fight. No PanzerGrenadier unit would be blobbed up, parade marching down a road, even in April of 45 without AT weaponry.

I really don't see why the men chose to fight the battle then and there. The commander all worried about his supply lines that the Germans are threatening. It's April of '45! Everyone already knows Germany has lost the war and the only offenses would be at best on a very localized scale. Why would this 5 man crew of Audie Murphy's, Gunnery Sergeant Basilone's, Heinrich Severloh's and Fritz Christen's decide then and there to sacrifice their lives fighting the very last remnants of the German Army, all because they're SS in a total suicide mission, when the War is practically over anyways?

I really did not care for how much the film did to dehumanize the German people. The film really made next to no distinction between War Criminal SS troops, and Wehrmacht troops.

I laugh at the reviewer that said it was "the best War film since Saving Private Ryan and Platoon". I'm not nostalgic either when it comes to films. There have been some great, modern film making, WWII movies, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Unsere Mutter Unsere Vater from Germany, Saving Private Ryan (although I disapproved of that films' morals seemingly advocating the shooting of German POW's which I think Steven Spielberg had something to do with that) in the off the top of my head. This was was just too fictionalized, over dramatic, had an impossible to pull off end scene where an immobilized tank destroys practically a whole company of Panzergrenadiers in an obvious ambush where everyone sees the tank with it's only saving grace is initially they thought it was decrewed and I thought it was BS that the germans kept wasting ammunition firing MG42 rounds at a tank, wouldn't they have the intelligence to save their MG ammo for targets they can actually kill?

OH well, maybe this film was good and I'm just sour on it. I guess I'll go back to watching my favorite WWII film of all time, Company of Heroes (Tom Sizemore and Neal McDonough For the Win!)
26 May 2015, 18:58 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

2 Jun 2015, 14:48 PM

<Spoilers below>

I actually liked the way the germans were portrayed and thought the distinction between the wehrmacht and SS was throughally made.

I also liked the way the allies were portrayed as largely hateful, aggressive and fatigued.

If the film ended after the Tiger I scene it would have been pretty enjoyable. The ending battle makes absolutely no sense and is exactly as you describe (America, f*ck yeah!).

Literally nothing about it makes sense:
- Why would the tank crew choose to stay?? especially the new guy, he met a girl for 5 seconds and now he wants to die with Brad Pitt... what..
- The SS battalion is clearly walking with panzerfausts, the camera pan makes a point of showing you they have AT weapons.. then all of a sudden they have like 5 in a box.
- Why would a hardened group of german soldiers run down a road to attack a de-tracked tank head on.
- Why would they leave the spare ammo on the outside of the tank in the first place? they prepared everything but left the spare belt on the back??
- The german guy seeing the hiding american and leaving him would have been a nice touch if not for the fact that the american just killed like 1000 of his mates, im not sure how forgiving he's going to be feeling.

makes me so mad. They did use an actual restored Sherman and Tiger from Bovington which I enjoyed though.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★