Login

russian armor

How to deal with rifle nades

7 May 2015, 02:31 AM

If I have 2 engagements simultaneously, 1 squad is going to die to a rifle grenade.

7 May 2015, 03:15 AM

If they are both bunched up alot and the enemy player fires 2 rifle nades at the same time which is impossible :)
7 May 2015, 05:59 AM

It's difficult, outright you have to think of the meta-game. If you aren't comfortable with dividing your attention harass with a stronger force, try taking the m20 with you.

With that said, I find the counter to the rifle nade comes tertiary by denying them munitions, and if the Wehr player decides to nade, they risk a lot of things: no tellers, no lmgs, no shreks, no TWP, no fausts, no med bunker, etc. all very useful and without them your opponent is significantly weaker.
7 May 2015, 13:54 PM

It's difficult, outright you have to think of the meta-game. If you aren't comfortable with dividing your attention harass with a stronger force, try taking the m20 with you.

With that said, I find the counter to the rifle nade comes tertiary by denying them munitions, and if the Wehr player decides to nade, they risk a lot of things: no tellers, no lmgs, no shreks, no TWP, no fausts, no med bunker, etc. all very useful and without them your opponent is significantly weaker.

Makes sense; I hadn't thought of that.

Its just that animation is so subtle - hand nade is so much easier to dodge as the model puts his weapon away (clearly seen), spreads his arms out (clearly seen), not to mention the reduced range and the LARGE FONT timer. The rifle nade animation just has the model crouch a bit, which is freaking impossible to spot especially if they are overlapping each other or in a vertical row.

This game I lost all of my rifle squads to only rifle nades. %50 precent of the time they weren't even called out so I didn't know a nade was coming until it hit the ground.

Anyway I guess I have to build less infantry in that case as they just become a req drain and XP feeder.
7 May 2015, 14:17 PM

Learn how to dodge.
7 May 2015, 14:18 PM

Make a AA unit to shoot the grenades in the air
7 May 2015, 14:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Micro, blob or spread out less your army.

Also, watch out the spacing when using cover. If you think that they are bunched up, the same your opponent will do.
7 May 2015, 15:04 PM

1. Don't bunch up units
2. Always keep in mind inadvertent(or intentional) tight bunching ups would be followed by a rifle grenade. (Which is likely to result in a squad wipe.
3. Keep close watch at enemy gren squads more often (the animation isn't really thaf hard to notice)
4. Learn how to dodge it:p
7 May 2015, 16:03 PM

micro issue. improve it.
7 May 2015, 17:11 PM

I think you just need to develop your intuition. Think along the lines of: "when am I in danger of being riflenaded"? Generally it will be at mid-long range fights, where your unit and his unit are stationary (generally in cover). Therefore when that happens you can be prepared for the guy stepping down for a grenade and avoid it, or else listening for the "grenade" shout from your troops. Don't worry about retreating if you don't feel up to moving them away manually.
7 May 2015, 17:12 PM

Learn how to dodge.

Right. Watching for it, seeing the animation, ordering the squad to move away, the ktshick sound goes off and the nade comes flying, your squad is still sort of scrambling not sure how to run away -> squadwipe.

Sure, I could've retreated all the way to back to base as soon as I saw the animation. I know it doesn't happen like above every time, but only saying "learn to dodge" is fairly ignorant.
7 May 2015, 17:18 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Post this in state office next time.

I watched the replay,he didnt blob,he was facing a 4x gren opening vs a rifle nade happy ost player,and you only lost one healthy squad to a vet 2 rifle grenade over a house before the game was already over anyway,and they were in yellow cover.

Stay in green cover if you insist on having a shoot out with grenadiers,you will never lose a full squad to a grenade if theyre all in green cover.
Yellow cover will not help you vs rifle nades.
Otherwise research bars and stay mobile.
Also if you cannot properly monitor an engagement vs grenadiers,or vs anything, just retreat. and use the tac map,spacebar,control groups,and hotkeys to to help with your micro over time. Rome wasnt built in a day.

7 May 2015, 17:25 PM

Make sure to always have sound on so you can hear your unit shout out about the incoming grenade. Typically when facing a good opponent they will always aim the grenade shot slightly behind you as often time players just run backwards when they hear a grenade incoming so make sure to move left or right instead of backwards.

If you have multiple squads stacked near each other try to spread them out in a line, so you know which one is in range to get naded instead of having to guess which one is going to get shot at.
7 May 2015, 18:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Stay in green cover if you insist on having a shoot out with grenadiers,you will never lose a full squad to a grenade if theyre all in green cover.

Only if the grenade comes flying over the direction of green cover. Sides and back would still wipe you.
7 May 2015, 20:06 PM

Always remember to pray to the God of Bugs to spare you from:
- Missing or delayed grenade audio warnings; riflegrenade warnings are often only played when the grenade is already mid-air, giving you just enough time to see your squad die.
- Missing or delayed riflegrenade animation; (sometimes the grenade fires instantly the moment the animation starts.
- Squads bunching up MORE when you give them a move command; when trying to dodge a grenade late, Relics Pathing® will often do more harm than good.
7 May 2015, 20:09 PM

you don't. just gotta take it up the ass
7 May 2015, 20:12 PM

Always remember to pray to the God of Bugs to spare you from:
- Missing or delayed grenade audio warnings; riflegrenade warnings are often only played when the grenade is already mid-air, giving you just enough time to see your squad die.
- Missing or delayed riflegrenade animation; (sometimes the grenade fires instantly the moment the animation starts.
- Squads bunching up MORE when you give them a move command; when trying to dodge a grenade late, Relics Pathing® will often do more harm than good.

I cant tell you how many times the above has happened. Also dont forget the Audio Queuing in the game engine.

Build Tank

Tanks says HI! same time Rnade is fired...

Dead squad...then GRENADE!!!!!!
8 May 2015, 01:11 AM

I find the issue is purely that of micro. If everyones micro was perfect, ( i know it isnt ) then having your squad bunch up and the enemy uses rifle nade is beneficial because you will dodge it and cost the Ostheer player 30 munitions :D
8 May 2015, 02:10 AM
Patrion 28

but then you get into mind games. anything below high level play isn't going to have much guessing with grenades (it isn't needed and it's hard) but even with perfect micro you can still nade people.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★