Login

russian armor

Scoped PTRS for Veteran Soviet Sniper

7 Apr 2015, 11:03 AM

7 Apr 2015, 11:08 AM

AFAIK sniper rifles deal an automatic death crit but no conventional weapons damage - which is why you'll always get pretty low damage dealt when using a sniper centric approach.

As for Soviet glass, while the optical quality was indeed generally bad, the PU series of scope was mechanically pretty sound. But still, exceedingly unlinkely that it would hold up to a PTRS...

I personally own a 91/30 PU and the optics is more of a reflex scope. Very low power at 3.5x,
And while yes durable. The mount for it would have to be extra strong, Drilling mounting holes into
the Receiver and putting a simple mount like the PU uses probably would not work.

But more importantly, The 3.5x zoom is a joke for a rifle with effective range like the PTRS.
The only thing that you would want PTRS for in a anti personnel role is the extreme max range
And you would need a very good piece of glass (Durable, Bright, And high zoom) and a very strong mount.

In war time Soviet Union.. i just kinda don't see it.
7 Apr 2015, 12:00 PM
Donator 33

I can already imagine the Soviet Female sniper swinging a PTRS around, but we also had female partisans with lmg 42's and Panzerschrecks, so it might look funny and out of place, but it could happen
7 Apr 2015, 12:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Apr 2015, 12:00 PMATCF
I can already imagine the Soviet Female sniper swinging a PTRS around, but we also had female partisans with lmg 42's and Panzerschrecks, so it might look funny and out of place, but it could happen
20 lbs for lmg and Pschreck 40 lbs for PTRS :p
7 Apr 2015, 12:04 PM

I find the notion laughable at best. Yes the idea of scopes on ptrd an ptrs was had, and tried in korea Iirc. Not earlier for reasons already stated by leyawn and others.

Are sov sniper really struggling for this to be made its ability or is it just an attempt to give t1 at?
7 Apr 2015, 12:08 PM

is it just an attempt to give t1 at?

What you talking about Willis?

T1 already has AT, it's why the ai builds scout cars when panthers et all, are on the field... :megusta:
7 Apr 2015, 12:10 PM

I personally own a 91/30 PU and the optics is more of a reflex scope. Very low power at 3.5x,
And while yes durable. The mount for it would have to be extra strong, Drilling mounting holes into
the Receiver and putting a simple mount like the PU uses probably would not work.

But more importantly, The 3.5x zoom is a joke for a rifle with effective range like the PTRS.
The only thing that you would want PTRS for in a anti personnel role is the extreme max range
And you would need a very good piece of glass (Durable, Bright, And high zoom) and a very strong mount.

In war time Soviet Union.. i just kinda don't see it.

Neither do I.
3-4 power was par for the course for contemporary sniper rifles tho, the USMC with their 8-power Unertl were pretty much the outlier.
Anyways, if you own one, you'll know the actual problems with the rifle are more in ergonomics with the difficulty of getting a proper consistent cheekweld and the trigger, plus, the glass quality is so poor with such limited transmission that in low light it becomes useless fast. With that being said, I still like it, and as a wartime mass produced solution it was certainly still superior to at least the German Kar98 with the Zf41...
7 Apr 2015, 12:26 PM

Neither do I.
3-4 power was par for the course for contemporary sniper rifles tho, the USMC with their 8-power Unertl were pretty much the outlier.
Anyways, if you own one, you'll know the actual problems with the rifle are more in ergonomics with the difficulty of getting a proper consistent cheekweld and the trigger, plus, the glass quality is so poor with such limited transmission that in low light it becomes useless fast. With that being said, I still like it, and as a wartime mass produced solution it was certainly still superior to at least the German Kar98 with the Zf41...

3-4 power is more then good enough for a combat sniper of that period, As the 30.06, 7.62x54mmR, .303, 7.92x57mm Have a effective range of about 1000 yd. I would imagine a PTRS could reach out to 2k with a proper setup and a very skilled shooter.

And yes the Mosin has some ergo problems, The scope sits high, the action sucks to cycle as it is tough
to close and you really gotta muscle it, You also can't use stripper clips on the PU, and you run into the
issue of possible rim locking.

The trigger is as you said also terrible, Very spongy long travel time and high trigger weight.
My other 2 Mosins i switched out to a timmney trigger, Best damn thing ive done to those rifles.

The 91/30's strength is the damn thing will ALWAYS fire, and is a very very accurate rifle,
And it fires a very good middle of the road cartage.

The zf41 was used in sniper setups for Germany.. when it was a scout scope in reality :/

Anyways why was this brought up in the first place? :/
Soviet sniper preforms fine.
7 Apr 2015, 13:11 PM

.303 Brit was not fired from the K98k, That fired 7.92x57mm

You are correct but just to clarify german sniper uses scoped Gewehr 43
7 Apr 2015, 13:17 PM

You are correct but just to clarify german sniper uses scoped Gewehr 43

in game yes he uses g43, In reality sniper's used zf41'd K98k's
(G43 and K98 both fire the same cartridge)
7 Apr 2015, 22:10 PM

What....is the purpose of this...

i dont get it

wtf
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak