Login

russian armor

How do you beat Tankhunter tactics as okw?

5 Apr 2015, 21:43 PM

I have met some opponents who SPAM cons with ptrs and for me its kind of hard to counter it. My trucks get destroyed from the air or by ptrs and it seems the ptrs makes any light anti-inf-vehicles obsolete. So I guess my only option is to beat it inf vs inf. The problem is, at least for me, that the ptrs are damn good vs inf too. So how do you veteran okw-players beat THT?
5 Apr 2015, 21:44 PM

Permanently Banned

U CANT
5 Apr 2015, 21:49 PM

I faced a PTRS blobber once so far with OKW.

I used about 4 volks with a FHQ and a leIG (worked well vs the blob). I made the mistake of getting an MG34, which ended up quickly getting blown to bits. After that I got T4 up pretty fast and I got 2x Obers with LMG34s. I did not spend ammo on schreks until he got tanks (no need to get them earlier). After that I just saved up for King Tiger and rolled him with that. Those silly rifles ain't got shit against the king tiger.

The most important lesson I learned from that game was that Green Cover is super important, even for OKW, and that the Obers Booby Traps are pretty nice.
5 Apr 2015, 21:49 PM

Blob until KT, a-move with KT, don't drive over ice.
5 Apr 2015, 21:50 PM

best idea would probaly just to spam jaegers or panzerfusilliers and try to outblob him. But currently i dont know if it really has a counter. flak HT? Maybe...

Oh,and the new LEIG works good againts bloberinos now too.
5 Apr 2015, 21:51 PM

Blob until KT, a-move with KT, don't drive over ice.

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2015, 21:50 PMBurts
best idea would probaly just to spam jaegers or panzerfusilliers and try to outblob him. But currently i dont know if it really has a counter. flak HT? Maybe...

Don't blob, you need the cover or those PTRS rifles will wear you down too fast.
5 Apr 2015, 21:57 PM

I faced a PTRS blobber once so far with OKW.

I used about 4 volks with a FHQ and a leIG (worked well vs the blob). I made the mistake of getting an MG34, which ended up quickly getting blown to bits. After that I got T4 up pretty fast and I got 2x Obers with LMG34s. I did not spend ammo on schreks until he got tanks (no need to get them earlier). After that I just saved up for King Tiger and rolled him with that. Those silly rifles ain't got shit against the king tiger.

The most important lesson I learned from that game was that Green Cover is super important, even for OKW, and that the Obers Booby Traps are pretty nice.

This sounds like the BO I thought would work, but tht mixed with soviet T4 makes kt and LeIG not that effective. The bombs tht has makes me to careful with the kt, any damage on the engine means trouble.

5 Apr 2015, 22:22 PM
Donator 11

3 volks + 1 MG34 then T3 and you should be able to build a fast SdKfz 251/17 Flak Half-track around minute 5:00 - 6:00.

Dont risk your units in the first minutes and try to play ultra-defensive.

Volksgranadiers always ahead from your FHT. MG34 helps because when their units are supressing PTRS doesnt work until he stop the unit. Only use your munition in mines + nades.

I've been testing this strat these two days and I think it works very well against Soviets although I lost a couple of games trying this way. :thumb:
5 Apr 2015, 22:52 PM

It's a really tough nut to crack ATM. Above is an hour long game where I tried to adjust. I think I started to get the formula once I started to use Obers. Jaegers were... ineffective for the time that they arrived, and perhaps better use/some bad luck with the KT, and I might've been able to pull it off. I also could've put my schewerer in a much better position. Ostwinds... I'm not sure, they seemed effective?? It was tough to gauge however, since my opponent made good use of a HT as a FHQ.

Kubel
3 Volks
Battle HQ
Volk
Schwerer
LeIG (vet 5 58+ kills O.o)
Luchs (really bad idea*)
2 Jaeger's (the LOS helped the LeIG but, otherwise were unsubstantial)
Panther (miss-used, still useful**)
------------------------------------
freestyled into:
Ostwind
MechReg
KT.
Ober***
Ostwind
Kt
Replace Volks as necessary.

* Thought I could micro the luchs, the nuke was pretty hilarious and a good taste of my hubris.

** Often I see a t3 heavy build with an HT to support and T34 to roam, in which the panther can help, also I think it's a pretty vital safety net regardless; so I'm conflicted whether it's a good investment.

***Double LeIG and Obers, despite depleting the fatherland of all it's MP might be the way to go.

Which also illustrates an overall strategic doctrinal shift as outlined by Jesulin above, by utilizing the Leig and trucks in a more defensive fashion --(I think I may've also tried to stretch the line too far (Crossing in the Woods)) -- by playing really compact and defensive I think you should be able to slug it out with them, especially given their lack of late game. It'll take a while for them to leap frog ahead with T4.

btw. these are my favourite threads :3
6 Apr 2015, 00:01 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Moved to OKW strategies
6 Apr 2015, 08:41 AM

This sounds like the BO I thought would work, but tht mixed with soviet T4 makes kt and LeIG not that effective. The bombs tht has makes me to careful with the kt, any damage on the engine means trouble.

Hmmm yes T4 would be a problem. I'm not sure what to do against that.
6 Apr 2015, 09:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2015, 21:50 PMBurts

Flak ht is a very bad idea. No light vehicle indeed, because if the special multi-nade ability of this commander
6 Apr 2015, 09:20 AM

3 volks + 1 MG34 then T3 and you should be able to build a fast SdKfz 251/17 Flak Half-track around minute 5:00 - 6:00.

Dont risk your units in the first minutes and try to play ultra-defensive.

Volksgranadiers always ahead from your FHT. MG34 helps because when their units are supressing PTRS doesnt work until he stop the unit. Only use your munition in mines + nades.

I've been testing this strat these two days and I think it works very well against Soviets although I lost a couple of games trying this way. :thumb:

Flak ht is not a good idea against this commander because of the multiple at-nade which usually one shots the flak ht

Also I wonder if ur mg34/42s ever been evaporated vs ptrs?! ;) it has happened to my quit often

I think as okw g43 either from pf or jli and ISG can be good options and as Wehrmacht sniper and mortar are good.
6 Apr 2015, 09:27 AM

Hmmm yes T4 would be a problem. I'm not sure what to do against that.

You should not primarily rely on KT against SO t4.

T4 means Katy and Su, KT is not the best solution for that. Punish him for not having fast t70/t34
Also Stuka is a very good choice since it will rain safer agains t4 (specially if you are facing heavy t2/mortars)

Katy is the only thread, so simply do not blob and do not put ur medic at too forward position

Remember the #1 rule as OKW: DO NOT LOSE A SQUAD
6 Apr 2015, 10:08 AM

Flak ht is not a good idea against this commander because of the multiple at-nade which usually one shots the flak ht

Also I wonder if ur mg34/42s ever been evaporated vs ptrs?! ;) it has happened to my quit often

I think as okw g43 either from pf or jli and ISG can be good options and as Wehrmacht sniper and mortar are good.

I think for a player of Jesulins caliber the Flak HT will work but you need excellent micro to pull it off. For scrubs like me it's, as you say, not the ideal choice.
6 Apr 2015, 18:19 PM

You should not primarily rely on KT against SO t4.

T4 means Katy and Su, KT is not the best solution for that. Punish him for not having fast t70/t34
Also Stuka is a very good choice since it will rain safer agains t4 (specially if you are facing heavy t2/mortars)

Katy is the only thread, so simply do not blob and do not put ur medic at too forward position

Remember the #1 rule as OKW: DO NOT LOSE A SQUAD

Haven't gone up against it in 1v1 yet, but in team games I have completely stopped going tier 3 until near the end. Volks/or call ins, MG34, and Infantry support gun. Soviets tend to be very aggressive right now so I almost always bait them into my ideal situation which requires a them to come to attack the infantry, hope the support guns starts suppressing and move in the HMG to reinforce that suppression. Keep them running until I can go T4 or bring in falsch to kill them off.
6 Apr 2015, 18:27 PM

I sort of retract my statement about the Luchs, I did get 17 kills with it for being on the field a short period. I think it could really help.

I also wonder about MG34's, some suppression would of really helped. Running the risk of them being eviscerated might be an essential evil.

I keep thinking about this game, and the real lynch pin in the operation was the HT. Having his FHQ essentially put so much pressure on, but I can't really think about how I would of dealt with it, perhaps preservation of the Panther.
6 Apr 2015, 19:04 PM
Patrion 310

Most players dont have the Jesulin micro to use flak ht effectively against cons spam let alone ptrs. Make one mistake with the flak ht and it can be killed pretty easily. Panther + Ostwind + infiltration grenades as counter imo which has the durability allowing a few mistakes. When stationary the panther MG upgrade are pretty good at killing cons and get the panther to vet2 asap.
9 Apr 2015, 13:26 PM

I've had some success with panzerfusiliers. All munitions going towards their weapons upgrades.

The big squad size reduces the effective damage the ptrs crit is doing to you. I've only done it in 2v2s though.
meh
18 Apr 2015, 04:23 AM

This thread is going no where... :facepalm:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment