Login

russian armor

How to prevent blobs

3 Mar 2015, 10:55 AM

Sorry, I must disagree with you there.
Blobbing is not just a significant problem for when they're attacking you, but they are also a massive problem when you're trying to push, where their sheer amount of fire power (particularly OKW blobs) will stop your units dead and obviously mines and demos have no chance of being placed.

As I keep saying, the reason blobbing is used isn't just because its for newbs, but also because it doesn't require much micro and gets good results and it forces your opponent into spending a lot of time and micro to punish in turn.

I'm sorry if this post will insult you. I think it's stupid to think that blob does not require micro. Most idiots who blob get wiped easily when they mass retreat. Even sherman tank squish can force retreat and you can just drop arty on his massive retreat blob. Blob does take skills and you need to constantly watch it. For example we can take last Paul game vs jesulin. Paul lost his volk blob really quick and that costed him a game. I don't want to start war with you but I checked your player card and you don't have a lot of games on your account neither nice ranks so I highly think that most of your posts was just some rubbish talk whining about coh2.
3 Mar 2015, 10:58 AM

i see a huge Problem with mg's and mines against blobs just because you dont know where the blob is coming. You can't build everywhere mg's and mines. for example a usf bar blob runs into s-mines: congratulation, you killed max. 3 models out of 20 and the enemy knows where the mines are.

Why do you think that one mine should fix your problems? Try to blob back and use mg42 if blob is so scary thing for you there is CAS doctrine just for people like you.
3 Mar 2015, 11:34 AM

maybe no cap for the Support weapons. mortars and pak's neither.
i don't want to be forced to choose a doctrine just to defeat the blob.
how much mines do you have to place? if you don't choose CAS you won't have enough mun to lay multiple mines everywhere.

I will never blob back, just because i think that blobbing is a piece of shit.
3 Mar 2015, 11:46 AM
Donator 11

There is no doubt that blobs can be stopped, the question is if the micro and attention required to do so is really in the correct ratio to the one needed for blobbing(which is close to none).

Infact there are plentiful ways to actually stop a blob but most of them require a huge amount of investment for small return.
Most notably I want to mention mines. (Apart from the fact I once had single soviet enemy sniper retreating over a SchuMine and it neither killing nor damaging the unit which makes me still mad^^).
Mines usually only kill 2 or 3 models of a squad and thats it. There is no supression applied or anything else. Killing 2 Models of a 6xConscript(just for the sake of argument) blob is simply not cutting it.
Furthermore mines get disabled by a single pioneer unit.
The only reliable, although pricey, solution I currently see are demos. They can be triggered when the enemy is right on them and wreak havoc on unsuspecting enemies or artillery.
OKW,USF and OH lack anything of that. Offmap is a possible solution too but especially for OKW its far too pricey and the flares are going to give them away making them a one time story while the enemy is easily able to evade or retreat. You forced them once to retreat but are now out of munitions to call it a second time.
Soviets do have a lot more possibilies to deal with blobs, (120mm mortars, Zis/Su's barrage, demos, isu, IS2 or the b4) yet they can get quite a lot overpowered by okw blobs and to a lesser degree gren blobs.

The idea of HMGs is correct but they either get smoked and decrewed by pineapples, molotved or simply killed by bar blobs or volks/obers blob.
Thing is if you change anything about the units in general to punish blobbing you are punishing those who do not blob even more. to solve the problem the blob itself needs a nerf not the units forming the blob.
Let me explain that.
Lets say multiple units in green cover get an aura for having a fortified positions like -2% rec accuracy to a maximum of 10 percent per unit. Sounds fine and dandy at first but now lets assume there are 3 units in green cover defending and 4 units attacking. Those 4 units get microed but not for everyone there is cover (unless you want to bunch up - which you should never want) so you have units in yellow cover vs bonused green cover. An attack is now hardly viable and will punish people not blobbing even more than bloberinos.

Thats why I think the solution with received accuracy is a nice idea and would make sense in the context of the game.
3 Mar 2015, 12:14 PM

Along SteinerGER's points: would it be possible to make the game more static?

What I mean is, give more bonuses for good cover use and penalize not only negative cover but, standard zones. Make getting caught in open ground a death sentence, force one to move from cover to cover.
3 Mar 2015, 12:26 PM

turbotortoise, this isn't possible i think. Think of one side on "rails and Metall" the open field with the victory Point. How do you think is anyone supposed to get there if the enemy is already there? Coh2 would become base turtle with arty spam
3 Mar 2015, 12:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2015, 10:55 AMVIPUKS

I'm sorry if this post will insult you. I think it's stupid to think that blob does not require micro. Most idiots who blob get wiped easily when they mass retreat. Even sherman tank squish can force retreat and you can just drop arty on his massive retreat blob. Blob does take skills and you need to constantly watch it. For example we can take last Paul game vs jesulin. Paul lost his volk blob really quick and that costed him a game. I don't want to start war with you but I checked your player card and you don't have a lot of games on your account neither nice ranks so I highly think that most of your posts was just some rubbish talk whining about coh2.

The thing is though, if the game were designed for just the pros like you, then the game wouldn't have been made at all because it would only sell at best a thousand copies.
I've played this game since before its release, I have 450 hours played, I'm sorry if my opinions differ from yours but I haven't called you an elitist jerk who will just insult anyone who has different views on how the game should function.
I like CoH for the historical aspect and the good squad mechanics which seem to be designed to reward positioning. All of it goes out the window when it's just huge mobs of units charging around all over the place.
Fact is, I don't care what the pros are doing. I won't doubt they are better than me, they've spent more time than me and that's okay, I play and enjoy other things and other games. But I want to play CoH2 to enjoy myself as well.
Am I insulted? Who wouldn't be by your childishness. I hope you don't represent the majority view of the "pros" but I think, given the attitudes of other high ranking players around here that it does and that childish elitism just shits me.

Blobbing, particularly in larger team games, basically goes entirely unpunished when it's the sort of thing that should. We all hear about these massive human wave assaults which were shot down Machine guns and artillery, that's what blobbing is, given this game is attempting to be to do with WW2, I think blobbing is something you don't want to encourage.

I'm sorry that my daring to argue with you is so damaging to your high ranking ego, but if you feel that attacking me is a way to strengthen your argument, then it suggests to me that you think your own argument is lacking in substance.
I don't care about 1v1s, they're for people better than me and they're entirely not my sort of game these days, but what I see in team games is rampant unpunished blobbing.

I wish this forum had a mute function like other forums do. If there is, someone please point me to it.
3 Mar 2015, 13:02 PM

especially in 1v1 blobbing is very very ineffective, blob is in North, capture in the south and gg.

But as soon as you go 2v2, blobbing is alway a thing.
I know how Marcorossolini feels. Personally i experience blobs more often since im rank ~3000 than the days i was ~10.000.
so blobs aren't just noobie things and i think a big part of the community who really loves this game and want to make it better via this Forum for example want to get rid of this "tactic".

my 2 cents
3 Mar 2015, 13:10 PM

The bigger issue with blobbing is that it is boring. Its braindead.
It can be overcome once you develop the skills to do so, but its just a grind. It removes the aspect of strategy from the game and just becomes about pumping out more and more units until you overwhelm your opponent.

I doubt they will ever fix blobbing because the vast ( and i do mean vast ) majority of the community are just casual scrubs who really have no real interest in changing their playstyle.

I mean maxim spam is still a thing and its retarded. Sniperspam is still about and its just cheese. M3 flamer is still viable and its all about wiping squads, more cheese. I could go on, but the point i am trying to make is the game is about big explosions and wiping squads instead.

Very few have any great interest in flanking, or positional play, or teching or out thinking their opponent. Its easy to just group units and A-move around the map and try to out muscle your opponent.

3 Mar 2015, 13:12 PM

I agree with Vipuks.

Don't exaggerate the amount of skill or micro it takes to counter a blob. Everybody can build a Katyusha and take good hit.
Sure it's easier to move a blob, but you always risk getting a lot of wipes and manpower bleed.
If you can't deal with blobs you are just lazy to build the counters or try to counter something that is supposed to be countered in a different way.
3 Mar 2015, 13:19 PM

I agree with Vipuks.

Don't exaggerate the amount of skill or micro it takes to counter a blob. Everybody can build a Katyusha and take good hit.
Sure it's easier to move a blob, but you always risk getting a lot of wipes and manpower bleed.
If you can't deal with blobs you are just lazy to build the counters or try to counter something that is supposed to be countered in a different way.

Soviet teching is such that getting a Katyusha is NOT guaranteed, unlike the WFA factions and in a way OH (though less so these days)
3 Mar 2015, 13:20 PM

Blobbing, particularly in larger team games, basically goes entirely unpunished when it's the sort of thing that should. We all hear about these massive human wave assaults which were shot down Machine guns and artillery, that's what blobbing is, given this game is attempting to be to do with WW2, I think blobbing is something you don't want to encourage.

In team games there are more players which means there will be more units and 1v1 maps are used for 2v2 mode so it's obvious you will get the image of blobbing because player get only 1/4 of map to play with (if we split map for 4 players).
And again when player got 1/4 map it's actually even easier to guess your opponent movement and counter it, in the end we saw many videos of people blobs getting murdered by howitzers and demos.
Everything else you said about me was just rubbish talk and I'm not even going to discuss it.

I played this game while it was in alpha and got 1.5k h why are you even trying to compare your stats to mine ?
3 Mar 2015, 13:24 PM

Soviet teching is such that getting a Katyusha is NOT guaranteed, unlike the WFA factions and in a way OH (though less so these days)

If you fail to adapt it's your fault, if you don't get a katyusha because you got a t34 instead there's nobody to blame except for yourself.

When you notice your opponent is blobbing, why would you still rush for a t34 that might get destroyed in a schreck volley? Wouldn't be a Is2 + Katy support much better?

Likewise if the map control is greatly in your favour, the t34 can be the right choice to seal the deal.
In team games T3 is simply less viable.
1vs1 blobbing is not such a big issue, because you lose too much map with it.
3 Mar 2015, 13:25 PM

So you want 100% gurantee squad wiping unit ? You want to use it against your oponent ? Did you thought how will you feel if this thing will be used against you and will wipe your unit 1 by one all the time? None of the wfa or vanilla factions got 100% squad wipe units. Just rng thing.
3 Mar 2015, 13:26 PM

@Vipuks nobody cares about the stats, blobbing should be punished regardless of the rank, faction or Player experience.

P.S. more hours doesn't mean better gameplay. You can also have 5k hours, 2500 in menu and 2500 vs. easy bots.
3 Mar 2015, 13:26 PM

The other interesting thing about Coh2 is the way manpower works. I have often seen players who have teched and gotten out vehicles and AT guns with a lower manpower income than someone who is going for heavy infantry builds.

The theory is, you build vehicles or the manpower drain will cost you the game. However that is often not the case. Infact sometimes going vehicle/at heavey can cost map presence.

This contributes to blobbing indirectly because it allows people to often remain competive by just building infantry.
3 Mar 2015, 13:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2015, 13:20 PMVIPUKS

In team games there are more players which means there will be more units and 1v1 maps are used for 2v2 mode so it's obvious you will get the image of blobbing because player get only 1/4 of map to play with (if we split map for 4 players).
And again when player got 1/4 map it's actually even easier to guess your opponent movement and counter it, in the end we saw many videos of people blobs getting murdered by howitzers and demos.
Everything else you said about me was just rubbish talk and I'm not even going to discuss it.

I played this game while it was in alpha and got 1.5k h why are you even trying to compare your stats to mine ?

Never said my stats were in anyway better mate, it was just your insinuation that I was some noob who didn't play the game I was trying to point out was false.

"image of blobbing"? What else am I meant to call it then?

This set of 4-5 units coming toward me shooting off shreks at everything isn't a blob at all. of course not!

Dude, you can't deny that large stacks of units being controlled as one body goes against the vision of the game as this tactical RTS.

3 Mar 2015, 13:31 PM

Blobbing is part of the game, deal with it.
3 Mar 2015, 13:33 PM

@Vipuks nobody cares about the stats, blobbing should be punished regardless of the rank, faction or Player experience.

P.S. more hours doesn't mean better gameplay. You can also have 5k hours, 2500 in menu and 2500 vs. easy bots.

watch out, you've questioned his stats... now we're really in for it...

(though admittedly, you can't argue stats with a guy who is top 20-50 in everything)

@ Burts

Sorry, I don't accept that. Blobbing detracts with almost every mechanic in the game. We might as well play starcraft.
3 Mar 2015, 13:33 PM

Blobbing is punished by less map control, mp bleed and squad wipes.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★