Login

russian armor

My Opinion on Decals

13 Feb 2015, 16:40 PM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 14:14 PMInverse
There isn't one bad thing anyone can possibly say about decals. Cosmetic DLC is how DLC should be done in a multiplayer game.

I like the ideas of decals a hell of a lot better than Elite troops, but to be honest they don't stand out enough to be noticeable. The only decal that you can really see is the one on top of the Axis bunkers, the decals on the tanks might as well not even be there unless you're looking for them.
13 Feb 2015, 16:52 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

If you wan't to make cosmetic items that i want to buy, you have to put some effort and research into it. Things like:

-camouflage nettings, foliage
-sandbags and other makeshift armour upgrades (e.g. bedspring sideskirts for t34s)
-proper cyrillic writings on russian tanks
-nation flags on the back of tanks (as in real flag and not a texture)
-zimmerit on german tanks
-kill rings on german tank barrels
-real unit numbers and symbols (don't just write SDKFZ in bold letters on a tank, that's nonsense)
-nicknames such as "Anneliese" or "Fury"
-battle worn look, with lots of bullet scratches and deflected tank shells (please, no silly bloodsplatters)

I would buy THE SHIT out of that.

I would totally buy stuff like that. Especially the flag. That would be sexy.
13 Feb 2015, 16:57 PM

Especially the flag.

If every tank/vehicle that could support a flag could wield a flag, then that would be super awesome since a big flag (of different colors and emblems depending on nation and company) is surely a lot more noticeable than current decals. I would surely invest in awesome customizations listed by Ginnungagap.
13 Feb 2015, 17:07 PM
Patrion 14

I wont use decals so i wont spend a single cent on them. General speaking i guess it´s not a bad idea. Some people may enjoy this new feature and even pay for new decals. At least it´s no pay to win content like the commanders in the past were.

I still hope skin modding will be possible someday so some guys can provide awesome skins like in CoH1.
13 Feb 2015, 17:11 PM

As a "fan" of WW2, i don't care about fantasy decals at all. I'm all about historical resemblance.

As it is with most of the vehicle skins, they are historically inaccurate and in some cases sloppy made. For instance: There is not one proper "Hinterhalttarnung" for german tanks - they either have wrong colours, wrong shapes or are trying to be too "artistic".

Then they put vehicle trimmings and decals in the brightest colours imaginable on top of it. It's there to differentiate between players, i'm aware, but there isn't even the option or mods allowed to disable it, which leads me to:

My WW2 fetish in terms of vehicle skins and decals is in no way satisfied.

This isn't SC2. I don't care about cool looking skulls, pierced hearts or other "totally rad" stuff that i can only imagine is to come.

If you wan't to make cosmetic items that i want to buy, you have to put some effort and research into it. Things like:

-camouflage nettings, foliage
-sandbags and other makeshift armour upgrades (e.g. bedspring sideskirts for t34s)
-proper cyrillic writings on russian tanks
-nation flags on the back of tanks (as in real flag and not a texture)
-zimmerit on german tanks
-kill rings on german tank barrels
-real unit numbers and symbols (don't just write SDKFZ in bold letters on a tank, that's nonsense)
-nicknames such as "Anneliese" or "Fury"
-battle worn look, with lots of bullet scratches and deflected tank shells (please, no silly bloodsplatters)

I would buy THE SHIT out of that.

That said, gameplay comes before graphics. And the gameplay is arguably in much more dire needs.

While I most heartily agree with pretty much everything you have said here, especially your list, I would buy the shit out of that stuff too. I fear that Relic is not trying to build something with this kind of accuracy. I fear whether anything like this will ever come out of Relic's studios.

Before they stopped us from modding, myself and a few others were going mad with ideas of this sort and began to actually gain some progress into recreating a number of things you have on your list, plus many many more. I personally strived to get camo netting on open topped vehicles to work and look good, yet in it infancy we were shut down and no progress has gone on since.

While I agree that balance is pretty much the backbone of ANY multiplayer game, some people forget that there are those out there that would like to see things a little more visually polished or more historically accurate (even forsake of balance).

We can all dream, we can all pray, but in the end we get what they give us. Such a shame, hopefully they can give as many of us as possible what we want, cause god know they can't make everybody happy.
13 Feb 2015, 17:12 PM
Benefactor 115

Feature in DoW2 that was free where all you had to do was paste a .png into a folder and paint your army. All players could see your decals because they were downloaded to all the clients computers. How ludicrous to hide this feature behind a pay wall /assholemode
13 Feb 2015, 17:19 PM
Donator 11

Like the idea but imo the decals are too small and just the playercolour so you hardly even see them unless you zoom in.
13 Feb 2015, 17:19 PM

I am not against decals, the only thing is that the game has problems that require fixing. What i am saying is, fix the important stuff first and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen you can add what ever cosmetic stuff you want.
Its all about prioritys and decals should not be a priority at this moment of the game.
Its like having a football team that has mediocre players and the president is buying nice looking new shirts instead of buying new better players or do more training sessions so the team gets better.
13 Feb 2015, 17:24 PM

I've heard tell of a TTP coefficient with these sorts of things from my friends who work for devs. TTP being time to penis. I wholeheartedly agree that everything should have to get approval from relic. Nothing ruins it like a Sherman with a giant phallus painted on the side.

I think these could be cool for clans. a mean looking angry bear anyone?
13 Feb 2015, 17:34 PM

Feature in DoW2 that was free where all you had to do was paste a .png into a folder and paint your army. All players could see your decals because they were downloaded to all the clients computers. How ludicrous to hide this feature behind a pay wall /assholemode

There is nothing wrong if they put decals or other customizations behind a "paywall" .
I mean seriously, i sit in front of a machine that costs around 1500 - 2000 euro, with a keyboard around 120, a mouse around 60 +soundsystem + audiointerface + headphone etc.
Why should it be wrong to pay a few cents for customizations in a game I like to play? o_O
13 Feb 2015, 18:05 PM

Stuff like this would be cool

13 Feb 2015, 18:08 PM

It would be nice if they could sell some different versions of HUD like DOTA has. Voice packs for new announcers would be nice too, but they can't go crazy with it like DOTA, also in this game the announcer rarely speaks.

Borrowing ideas from the succesful guys should be standard by now.
13 Feb 2015, 18:10 PM

Considering how easy textures and decals are to do I'm surprised we haven't had this sooner, especially considering the diversity of unit markings in WW2.
14 Feb 2015, 01:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Nothing ruins it like a Sherman with a giant phallus painted on the side.

In Soviet Russia:

I have a giant Phallus with a Sherman painted on the side
14 Feb 2015, 01:37 AM
Patrion 28

it's a pinup penis.
14 Feb 2015, 09:26 AM
Patrion 14

More of this -

And less cartoony nonsense. I don't mind the MLNW2 thing, it's a fun one-off, but some realistic faction-specific insignia would be great.

As for dem Russians...

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3208&d=1234903933

Yankees...

http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/35191prev01.gif

BRITS FTW!!!

14 Feb 2015, 11:08 AM

Its all about prioritys and decals should not be a priority at this moment of the game.
Its like having a football team that has mediocre players and the president is buying nice looking new shirts instead of buying new better players or do more training sessions so the team gets better.

It more in the line of the president gets someone to sponsor the team and there are new shirts with the sponsor logo on it. So with this money the team can afford better players and more training sessions. Don't you think?
14 Feb 2015, 14:10 PM
Patrion 14

I also would "buy the shit" out of any historical or even slightly speculative markings, decals, flags and whatever. But now that they replace national markings, probably not.

I don't mind that bayonet decal as a decal, it looks like a possible decal for a unit, just that it's in the "wrong" place.
14 Feb 2015, 15:06 PM

I don't know. We have cell-shaded vehicles, as long as the released decals are not completely absurd (they likely will be) i'm indifferent. Historical accuracy only stayed a night at CoH's house in 2006 and never came back.
14 Feb 2015, 20:49 PM

All I want to know is when can I have a swastika made of penises on the side of my KT? That would make me so happy. The only thing that would make me happier is if my shreks would shoot missiles that look like flying penises.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★