Login

russian armor

Supply - in-game currency

PAGES (16)down
5 Feb 2015, 16:38 PM

Seriously, stupidest idea ever. Do they think we're all so accustomed to the planned obsolescence of our computers and devices that we're ready to actually see a timer ticking down on our virtual purchases?

If they want to do microtransactions, they should allow you to rent them outright, not use a silly psychological manipulation to induce people to "maintain" their virtual crap. That would be fine with me, sure I'd like that trollface on my Sturmtiger but I'd probably want something new after 3 months anyway. But I see why they wouldn't - you couldn't have a marketplace with rented items that have set expiry dates.

They're too greedy. They're essentially trying to make a profit through us buying durability on top of the profit they may make selling stuff. In-game currencies are already cheesy enough, companies use them because they know full well many people buy currency and never use all their virtual money. This is beyond the pale and will fail.

5 Feb 2015, 16:42 PM

I mean, I figured it was obvious that this is all speculation. But they used a very similar system in CoHO, I think it was actually called supply there as well, and it worked how I described. If they don't make any changes, I expect it will work the same way. Hopefully they do make changes, though, because the CoHO model was a disaster.

You can extrapolate a lot from those strings. Giving items durabilities means giving them the ability to degrade, which means you need a way to restore degraded items, which in turn is a clear avenue for microtransactions. Obviously nothing is set in stone. For the sake of the game, I really hope they don't actually implement a durability system, because it would be a disaster.

They did in CoHO.

The two most successful item economies right now are Dota 2 and CSGO, two games with zero degradation. Instead, item prices are time-sensitive, which is great. Enthusiasts can pay a bit more for earlier access to new items, and regular players can get cool items on the cheap later. Furthermore, item values are inflated by their drop rates and production runs, for lack of a better word. CSGO knifes cost upwards of $300, and Dota 2 couriers and certain items routinely sell for over $100. If you constantly release new content and cycle your drop list, you don't suffer from over-saturation.

I'd actually argue the opposite, that adding durability actually deflates the values of items. Why purchase an expensive item when you're just going to have to keep spending more to maintain it?

The system could work i think only if the amount of supply won in game is sufficient to keep all our «roster» in shape with some left can be accumulate to buy new stuff.

Normally in a working F2P model, only a small percentage of the player spend real money in the game, but that's must be enough to make profit.

AS an example : I did play a year of Marvel's heroes without paying a dime, only spent in game currency. But the 5 friends who want to play with me spent a lot real cash on cosmetic and useless stuff (some 100$, some more than 200$). I stopped playing it only because of the lack of content, and my friends stopped playing soon after...

I think that what they are aiming for.

5 Feb 2015, 16:51 PM
Coder Red Badge

You're right, there would be zero problems if the amount of supply you get from playing is more than enough to repair a large amount of items. But if that's the case, why even add durability? It doesn't add anything to the game on its own. The only reason you would add something like this to the game is so you can charge people to purchase supply, and if you give people too much supply after games then nobody is going to spend any money.

In order for this to make any sense from a financial perspective, you have to feel the need to purchase supply from Relic, which means you can't be given a surplus for free.
5 Feb 2015, 16:58 PM
Benefactor 115

I'm just thinking worst case scenario here. In reality it probably won't be as bad but it won't be a great improvement either.
5 Feb 2015, 16:59 PM
Coder Red Badge

I just don't see how any system involving item durability can be construed as a positive. No matter how it's implemented, items degrading over time is not going to be good for the consumer.
5 Feb 2015, 17:11 PM
Donator 11

Durability is a stupid idea. I think just buying the item should be enough. Adding durability makes it feel like a rly crummy mobile game that makes you buy gems to speed up a building production by 5 hours
5 Feb 2015, 17:16 PM
Benefactor 115

Company of Heroes 2: Online (we learned nothing from our last failure of a game)
5 Feb 2015, 17:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge

eww item durability thats is disgusting fucking disgusting...

edit: i hate f2p model i also hate the philosphy behind it.

explaned more in next page
5 Feb 2015, 17:19 PM

(we learned nothing from our last failure of a game)

I cringe terribly whenever Relic bring in bad design and balance decisions from the past. With all these years of experience, it is horrifying to see problems returning once more to torment us. Its like Sega mind wiped Relic, causing them to start over again.
5 Feb 2015, 17:20 PM
Patrion 14

They originally planned timed commanders - premium commanders would drop much more frequently than now but you would be able to craft extra bulletins, skins and commanders into "time" thus extending the life of the drops you chose. They canned this, although on the face of it it does sound like a fair model. Needless to say, purchased premium stuff would not be on a timer. I don't see why the new supply system would be any worse than that idea though. There are ability packs for PURCHASE - they would never dare add durability and/or expiration to purchased stuff, it would be suicide.

We are theorycrafting too much about durability without knowing the first thing about the numbers involved. It's like, imagine Guards Infantry didn't exist and they announced it right now. They get antitank weapons, anti-infantry grenade, LMG upgrade, AND can button - these forums would erupt in flames and cries of imba...

... which is why they are dominating the meta at the moment amirite?
5 Feb 2015, 17:21 PM
Benefactor 115

its more the gouge you for every penny you have business model they are willing to employ that I'm annoyed about.
5 Feb 2015, 17:24 PM
Coder Red Badge

Purchased items degraded in CoHO, so there is precedent for them forcing you to maintain purchased items.
5 Feb 2015, 17:26 PM

Who freaking cares? All I have seen from this community is constant shitting on business ventures. It really seems like a bunch of entitled children whining that they spent $60 on a game and want all new content and support for free. News flash! This game has been out for nearly two years now and Relic is a business. Without money they close.

5 Feb 2015, 17:27 PM
Coder Red Badge

It's just a terrible business strategy honestly. And if commanders are included in the list of items that degrade then it would have real gameplay ramifications. You can be critical of things and discuss those things without whining you know. Much better than sweeping them under the rug and pretending they don't exist.
5 Feb 2015, 17:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

the big and very flawed problem that f2p games encourage is to worsen the game-play experience in order to make more money. the worse the game play experience the more incentive you feel to buy the items. is the game going full f2p or will it use f2p business ideas that is yet to be determined.
5 Feb 2015, 17:33 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2015, 17:26 PMNapalm
Who freaking cares? All I have seen from this community is constant shitting on business ventures. It really seems like a bunch of entitled children whining that they spent $60 on a game and want all new content and support for free. News flash! This game has been out for nearly two years now and Relic is a business. Without money they close.

I think we get that. The problem is that we paid for items and we don't want them to just disappear after we paid for them because we didn't have enough moneys to keep them fixed.
5 Feb 2015, 17:36 PM

This entire thread is based on assumptions. For all we know it could be seasonal or timed items like they wanted to do in War Spoils. More information needs to come out before we burn the house down.
5 Feb 2015, 17:38 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2015, 17:26 PMNapalm

as a consumer do you think that buying an item from the store that has charges to it that degrade every time you use it, which you top up by spending more money so you can continue to use that item is appealing to you?

Personally I don't find it appealing and I think it's a terrible idea. When you overtly try to wrangle as much money as possible from your player base you put people off.
5 Feb 2015, 17:38 PM
Coder Red Badge

Of course it's based on assumptions. Doesn't mean it can't still be discussed. The system described in the strings is very unambiguous, especially since it almost exactly mirrors the system they used in CoHO. There's a lot of discussion to be had on the merits, or lack thereof, of the system described.
5 Feb 2015, 17:46 PM

It's just a terrible business strategy honestly. And if commanders are included in the list of items that degrade then it would have real gameplay ramifications. You can be critical of things and discuss those things without whining you know. Much better than sweeping them under the rug and pretending they don't exist.

First, a few lines of code isn't anywhere close to enough information for you to claim that you have even a remote idea of what Relic plans to do. Please understand that any claims here are wild speculation at best.

Second, microtransactions have proven to be the exact opposite of a "terrible business strategy". I hope you are aware that the most played game on steam (by a wide margin) is a F2P game, rife with microtransactions.

I think we get that. The problem is that we paid for items and we don't want them to just disappear after we paid for them because we didn't have enough moneys to keep them fixed.

That would be ridiculous, you have exactly zero reasons to believe that they will take your paid commanders away from you. I hereby offer you the official maskedmonkey2 golden guarantee that this will not happen. If Relic comes and takes away your paid commanders, I will personally paypal you what you paid for them.

People need to relax, for all we know, this could be a fantastic addition to the game.
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS